THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: THAT offside West Brom goal, 1971

Post by 1964white »

Malcolm Stark wrote:I'll never forget the 1975 European Cup Final. That was the night when Leeds United, and all of England, cos we were all behind you, were truly, truly robbed by the most disgraceful refereeing performance. And I'm not talking about Beckenbauer, either, although he was clearly the man in charge.
We were robbed on quite a few occasions & some journalists had the audacity to accuse Revie's Leeds of being corrupt :roll:
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

And film-makers too. I pointed out a prime example on here in the CLOUGH!!! thread, but never got any credit for it.

Several books were written by Leeds fans that discussed that Damned United film, but none mentioned the Derby - Leeds game in 73.

It was a criminal mis-representation of Leeds United in a major film.
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Here's an example of Leeds United at their most "corrupt".

What this youtube doesn't show is the unaggressive response by Bremner, after he recovered.

A penalty should have been awarded and the Cup would have gone east.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t_5sZ4-LRA
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Malcolm Stark wrote:Wow, a world where one game decides an entire season. What a world that would be to live in.

Happy you got a fan, ONS? :thumbup:

See that England qualifying thing, came down to one game in the end. See that season when Gooners had to win at Anfield to take the title. Came down to one game in the end. See that Prem win for City 2 seasons back. Came down to one game in the end. I could go on. In reality the debate is about passion/support/emotion 'v' analysis. You clearly prefer analysis over passion. Me, well sport is all about passion for me. Howson 2 : 0 at Carlisle. Came down to one seismic game in the end. That's what makes sport so exciting.

By the way, ONS has a fan post. Bit of a low shot. I hoped this site was above that kinda thing. Hope it's a one off.

And for the record, Revie who was a God and superior to Clough/Shanks etc had one glaring weakness - winning the one offs/the must wins. Had us competing on every level at a time when no one else did but just fell short - maybe squad size, maybe psychological but it happened. It hurt but in the end it's part of the reason why I love him. A flawed genius who turned the second city from rugby. No one else managed that. And no other club is like LUFC as a result.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

I both agree and disagree with your post.

You don't know me at all, so you can't judge my passion and support, but I do like stats.
Malcolm Stark

Post by Malcolm Stark »

My pet hate is posts that consist of only smiley faces. It's so facebook/ xpert eleven scribble, and this site deserves better. I'm passionate about that by the way.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Malcolm Stark wrote:I both agree and disagree with your post.

You don't know me at all, so you can't judge my passion and support, but I do like stats.
You don't know me but you casually accuse me of being an ONS groupie. As I say I'd hoped this site was different!
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

I wasn't around for the event that started this topic, so I've generally kept out of it, but I've had to lock this thread because we are going way off topic and getting into completely unnecessary personal remarks, which all these people in this discussion are much better than. I don't mean this to sound like telling anyone off, merely bringing together what I see as clearly diverging sides to this discussion which started off reasoned-enough, so please don't take it as patronising, anyone.

The West Brom goal and subsequent consequences (or lack of, depending which side you're arguing) clearly had a lasting effect and it's not something that Leeds fans take lightly. I've seen some good discussion here about the technicalities of it, but after a certain point it has started going around in circles. Malcolm doesn't think any wrongdoing happened, nor that its absence would have necessarily led to a different title outcome. That's fine. Leeds fans mostly think differently and have their own arguments for it. That's absolutely fine too, but, Malcolm, being on a Leeds forum, if you do think everyone else's judgement is clouded by passion, just let it go in the end. It is clear no side will be convinced of the other's arguments, and since it's something that will not be changed (unfortunately so, as everyone seems to agree) we might as well move on - we've had so many better (and inherently interesting) topics from that era, I'm sure there's other memories to evoke.

Beyond anything else, there's no point resorting to little digs at anyone just because others agree with one view or another, especially not at someone as established on here, and non-combative as ONS. Perhaps smilies have been a bit misunderstood as well - they're a natural part of discussion on a forum, I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but in the absence of face-to-face conversation they're very useful to express tones to a post or just represent what would have otherwise required a full paragraph (call it laziness, I call it practicality - I need a smiley here! :) ).

I think this topic has run its course, so will keep it locked for now. Malcolm, I can't see anything in today's posts on here to suggest anything personal was meant towards you, and you yourself speak so highly of Robert & his work, yet go on to have a clear poke at him & someone agreeing with him in the next breath - looks completely unnecessary. Hope we can keep on topic a bit better from on, please.

Thanks all, any comments are welcome to me or one of the mod team via PM though.