Who wants to be interviewed then?

A quick questions and answers session for forum members
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Who wants to be interviewed then?

Post by Barlow Boy »

I've sent it back pal, I think :oops:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Cheers BB fantastic read I am sure members will enjoy.

1. Why Leeds

My early childhood was spent supporting Liverpool, I even used to write up the scores, scorers, attendances etc on A4 sheets of paper (I think I still have them somewhere).

Then my grandad took me to a Leeds v Liverpool game at Elland Road, I cannot recall the year, but from memory Leeds won 2-1. It was at this point that my allegances started to change, and with School mates, and friends supporting Leeds I started to tag along to games with them as I got older. I can still remember how we all wore our Lacoste t-shirts, and sweaters, as we thought we were the big men in the South Stand, which had seating in already prior to all seater stadiums.

We then moved into the Lowfields, and used to frequent the mental pen as it was known back then. How we all got out alive after games was a feat in itself, but we had some great times in there.

2. Good win in the F.A. Cup, who do you hope we get next round?

Obviously too late now, but I had mixed views.

A ‘big’ club to give us a good day out, or a lower ranked team to give us a chance to progress. I appreciate the big clubs tend to win the competition these days, but a day out at Wembley for the semi final - which I don’t agree with by the way - is never out of the question for the lower ranked teams.

3.What was the first Leeds game you ever saw?

Answered above, Leeds United v Liverpool with my grandad.

I am going to do some digging on the year, just out of interest for myself.

4. The transfer window is open what players would you like us to chase if any?

I know I differ from most, but I don’t think we are that far away from being a really good side, particularly with Bridcutt now secured until the end of the season.

In defence, we have a couple of good keepers (not including Turnbull), although I wouldn’t say no to a real top quality CB to link up with one of the others, who are all pretty much average for me, and always have a mistake in them. To facilitate the new CB, I wouldn’t object to any of them moving on, but would keep Wootton for his versatility along the back line.

We have an abundance of decent CM’s, most of whom can cut it in this division, and now we have Carayol on board, a couple of decent wingers in situ to get the ball into the box for the strikers. Now we see how good Chris Wood can be.

My main focus this window would be a top quality Striker, to either accompany Wood and/or play when he is out for whatever reason. I will leave the debates on who to others, but this would definitely be my priority if I were Steve Evans.

In summary, a quality CB and Striker would be my preference.

5. Do you think a salary cap is needed for football to keep the ticket prices affordable for the average fan?

I genuinely don’t think ticket prices have a specific influence on players salaries, which I believe is more down to the SKY money, so don’t see how any salary cap would keep ticket prices to a minimum.

Even if a salary cap did come in, I’m not sure this would filter it’s way down to the fans anyway, with any excess money kept by the owner and/or chairman with enhanced transfer budgets being used as a reason.

I appreciate it all comes down to each persons disposable income, but I don’t think £25 per game is that bad, although appreciate it is much higher in the premiership.

6. Do you have any phobias? If not what scares you the most?

Funnily enough, this was a topic of conversation not so long ago in the Pavillion. I have a phobia about needles, my palms are sweating now as I type.

I visited the dentist not so long ago for a filling, which I have without any anaesthetic as obviously this is done by needle. Unfortunately, the tooth collapsed whilst the dentist was doing his work, so I had to have a screw inserted into my gum. All of this was done without anaesthetic, but when I started to feel the actual screw going into my gum, it did cross my mind that next time I might just have to get over the phobia.

Then again, now I think about the needle I think I will just crack on without again.

7. If you were stranded on a deserted island and you could have one person (living or dead) one book, one movie to watch and one cd who and what would they be?

Person – Not really a person, and don’t tell Mrs B this, but I would have to take the dog, not only for the exercise, but the stimulating conversation. He never seems to complain when I am asking for his opinions on my team line-ups etc when we are out around 6.30am on a morning.

Book - It would be remiss of me not to take one of the books written by a certain David Watkins. Not only would it give me plenty of food for thought from a footballing perspective, and of course Leeds United, but it would also have me in stitches during those long months waiting for the next boat to come along. The various mishaps, and scrapes, he gets into following Leeds United, never fails to amuse.

Film - I am not really into my movies, but if I had to take one it would be The Shawshank Redemption to remind me that in the face of adversity, strength of character can get you through anything.

Music - Again, I am not a massive music fan, as generally it is Radio Leeds, or Five Live in the car, but I would have to plump for The Stone Roses, by The Stone Roses as I can honestly say that I like every track on the album rather than just the odd few which I find can be the case on many CD’s.

This CD would also remind me of the time I sent a copy of the CD to an ex-girlfriend specifically in relation to the last track on the album, I am the Resurrection. It was as if the lyrics had been specifically written for the occasion.

8. Do you think LFC would have been good for the club or was it always a "pie in the sky" situation?

Assume there is a slight typo here, and you mean Leeds Fans United and the fans group intending to buy shares in the club.

I certainly don’t think it was “pie in the sky”, evidenced by the quality of individual who they got on board. There is a resume of all the board members somewhere, and their experience, qualifications and overall pedigree made it clear they were serious.

Hopefully, we haven’t heard the last of them, as I would love to see fan representation on the full Leeds United Board although I do believe it will only be a minor shareholding.

9. We look like we are out ot the relegation battle but do you think we cam make a serious charge for the playoffs?

As mentioned above, we have the makings of a really good side, and with one or two addition this window, I see no reason why we cannot keep picking up points and making a charge up the league.

This is, of course, dependent on MC keeping his nose out of team affairs and leaving this to the best manager/head coach we have had for several years in Evans. Time will tell on that one, but I do honestly believe we can get in the mix but it does depend on keeping the quality we have and adding to it this window.

10. Beer, wine ,spirits or teatotal?

I know it’s boring (I cannot recall what DLW called us non-ale drinkers not so long since) but strictly lager. I don’t drink wine, bitter or any other real ales although I might stretch to a glass of champagne at a wedding.

Cheers

Kev
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Great read....I got nervous when you mentioned the book though BB....thought it was going to be one of your comfort items ....bog paper!!!!! :lolno:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:Great read....I got nervous when you mentioned the book though BB....thought it was going to be one of your comfort items ....bog paper!!!!! :lolno:
No mate, in all seriousness I would take one. The difficulty would be selecting one out of the series.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I'll do a set of questions when you can be next bothered mate :-)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

great read BB :clap: Loved the bit about changing from Liverpool, it's usually the other way around now.

I've done the interview but would always be up for another go.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote:great read BB :clap: Loved the bit about changing from Liverpool, it's usually the other way around
Cheers pal, enjoyed doing it to be fair. It really got me thinking about old times, and as you say my previous Liverpool favouritisms.

Thanks to BLF for setting the questions In the first place :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

OK guys who's next? Dopn't be scared it doesn't hurt....too much :thumbup:
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

ill do one :-)
BigLeedsFan72