Offside - feet or body?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Offside?

Post by SMorientes »

davidbattyspants wrote: To be fair to referees assistants, to call offside correctly, they have to be able to see in two places at the same time. Personally I think you should be given onside if you are onside when you receive the ball.
I agree. The whole 'coming back from an offside position' thing doesn't make that much sense. If you're running away from the goal you're attacking and end up receiving the ball with defenders between yourself and that goal, then what advantage did you gain by being further forward in the first place? Though, I suppose people might start doing it on purpose, standing 5 yards offside and then nipping back in front of a defender when the ball's played forward, that could be an issue. Plus there's the whole intefering with play issue to contend with which would make it all quite messy.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Offside - feet or body?

Post by Wigan White »

To be honest, the answer to the question is simplicity itself.

If it's a goal scored for us it's not offside.

If it's a goal scored against us, it is offside.

:D
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Offside - feet or body?

Post by Aces »

Wigan White wrote:To be honest, the answer to the question is simplicity itself.

If it's a goal scored for us it's not offside.

If it's a goal scored against us, it is offside.

:D
If only. :lol:
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 1076

Re: Offside?

Post by Deleted User 1076 »

SMorientes wrote:
davidbattyspants wrote: To be fair to referees assistants, to call offside correctly, they have to be able to see in two places at the same time. Personally I think you should be given onside if you are onside when you receive the ball.
I agree. The whole 'coming back from an offside position' thing doesn't make that much sense. If you're running away from the goal you're attacking and end up receiving the ball with defenders between yourself and that goal, then what advantage did you gain by being further forward in the first place? Though, I suppose people might start doing it on purpose, standing 5 yards offside and then nipping back in front of a defender when the ball's played forward, that could be an issue. Plus there's the whole intefering with play issue to contend with which would make it all quite messy.

True, but if you are five yards offside, but run back to an onside position before you receive the ball, you've actually put yourself at a disadvantage. If the defense hold the line you're offside, if they don't you have to do the extra running to get onside. And I agree with the "interfering" If you are on the pitch, you are affecting play.