Johan Cruyff

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Johan Cruyff

Post by zigzag »

Sad news, one of the great players of all time.

After the 74 World Cup I practiced and practiced doing my version of the Cruyff turn (remember young 'uns no YouTube or even video recorders in those days so I had to base it on memory).
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I managed it once in my entire playing career.

That's twenty five years, 400-odd games.

Once.

And it was by accident :mrgreen:
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Another passing that just makes me feel old.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:Another passing that just makes me feel old.
Another passing that makes me know I am doing the right thing in retiring early, life is far too short.

Thoughts with his family at this time.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Another passing that makes me know I am doing the right thing in retiring early, life is far too short.

BB, Best thing I did was retire early, ok helped with been in right place for a good redundancy, mortgage paid and early company pension but done so much since. Time is a very important factor in life.

And I had a reputation of having the slowest and most predictable Cryuff turn ever.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Retired at 40
Divorced at 42
Started work at 43
Other Pensions kick in in 2 years
stop work AGAIN 3 years
Murder!!! I'd have been out by now and saved £250k lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:

You most def are. "We do not live to work we work to live" someone once told me and once you have worked enough to live take it!
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

My first footballing hero (I was too late for the great Leeds team of the late 60's and early 70's), to me a legend and the best ever player to lace on a pair of boots. Forget your Pele's/Maradona's/Messi's and a few others who are legends of the game no doubt but Cruyff was the best for me.

Turned Ajax into a European power and made Barca who they are today. Nearly won a world cup in 1974 as he helped them make the final, sadly it was the final where he had his worst game and was marked out of the game.

Sadly did not go to the world cup in 1978 in Argentina where new heroes for me appeared such as Neeskens, Krol, Resenbrink, the Van Der Kerkoff twins and Rep. I believe if he had of gone they would have won the cup.

Excelled at been a manager (coach) for Ajax and Barca proving that good players can manage.

RIP to a true footballing legend :cry:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The Netherlands' home friendly against France was stopped after 14 minutes for a minute's applause to remember Dutch great Johan Cruyff.

Former Ajax and Barcelona star Cruyff, who famously wore the number 14 shirt, died of cancer aged 68 on Thursday.

A minute's silence for the former Dutch captain and coach was planned, but the tribute turned into a standing ovation from fans at the Amsterdam Arena.

Blaise Matuidi, France's number 14, hit a late winner in the 3-2 away win.

The Netherlands, who play England at Wembley on Tuesday, fought back from 2-0 down at half-time to level, only for the French captain to dampen the mood on an emotional night in the Dutch capital.

Cruyff, who was named European footballer of the year three times, helped the Dutch reach the 1974 World Cup final, where they lost 2-1 to West Germany.

Flowers and a number 14 shirt were left on an empty seat in the VIP area.

Each Dutch shirt had Cruyff's iconic number printed on the right sleeve, but none of the home players wore the number 14 jersey itself.

An image of Cruyff appeared on the stadium's big screen during the minute's applause, with all 22 players pausing to join in the tribute.

"It was special," said France coach Didier Deschamps. "A great man like Johan Cruyff deserved such a tribute and the stadium responded to him."

Netherlands coach Danny Blind said his side's performance was not affected by the occasion.

He added: "I'm not going to blame that. Once the whistle goes, you have to be ready like a pro.

"We were unfortunate with the first goal. The second goal, we did not do well."

Earlier on Friday, Dutch football association (KNVB) president Michael van Praag suggested the 53,000-capacity Amsterdam Arena could be renamed in honour of one of the city's most famous sons.

"I can't wait for the moment when we rename our stadium the Johan Cruyff Arena. It's the best tribute we can pay him," said Van Praag.

Amsterdam officials said they were discussing the suggestion, but also had to consult Cruyff's family in the matter, as well as other major sponsors.
Winner of the Europa League