The Damned United film

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: The Damned United film

Post by Deleted User 728 »

... but the film is a comedy just about and they don't get the balance anywhere near right ...
And that's what I was getting at with the deleted scenes.

If the movie included them, it would make for a much better experience overall and be way more authentic in terms of how the book itself unfolded.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Fact is that no of the Revie era players wanted anything to do with the movie speaks volumes to me. The film makers did want them to help make the movie as factual as possible. I do however agree that the actors who portrayed The Don & Clough were very convincing. I personally found the book hard work & think I gave up on it, must look for it on the shelf & try again.
Winner of the Europa League
Year Zero ITK
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Year Zero ITK »

rigger wrote:
... but the film is a comedy just about and they don't get the balance anywhere near right ...
And that's what I was getting at with the deleted scenes.

If the movie included them, it would make for a much better experience overall and be way more authentic in terms of how the book itself unfolded.
That doesn't really help the argument though does it, deleted scenes changing the mood of the film? :think: :) I went to the cinema to see it, my biggest complaint was not the errors in it or the pretty amazingly bad choices of actors but the whole tone of the film. And a film that is meant to be a fictionalisation should still not have a caption at the end saying that Revie was, effectively, a thief. I don't remember the exact wording but that was just wrong and offensive.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I watched it out of curiosity too. In terms of making a good film about someone going from hero to zero, it's very good and it details the problems of an obsession. However, the portrayal of the Leeds players and Revie is poor and misleading, which is probably why the club sued the filmmakers for libel (I believe). The most angering thing about the film was when they revealed what each character went on to do afterwards, stating that Revie 'failed' as England manager - well he was living up to a rather great predecessor, of whom all England managers fail in comparison to, in Sir Alf Ramsey.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Year Zero ITK

Post by Year Zero ITK »

Giles threatened to sue over the book, I don't recall the club being involved at all in that respect.

EVERY England manager has failed since 1966 :P
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Point taken about seeing it "as was" in the cinema. When I went, there were four of us, all in our 40s, and the place was full of blokes the same age plus the odd son or grandad. There was a lot of laughing and even spontaneous applause on a couple of occasions.

Bad choices of actors ??
I'm assuming you mean the squad ? Even then I would say it was more down to poor stagecraft: the wigs were awful ! Like something out of a cheap joke shop.

As for the libel cases, only Giles sued. The club did not and neither did anyone else.
He won and subsequent versions of the book were abridged, removing much of the more snide references to him, though there's not that much difference (I've read both versions).

Bear in mind that David Peace is actually a Huddersfield fan.
His evaluation of Revie as a failure in the England manager's role is also that of the majority of the country. The media crucified him for taking the Saudi job, declaring him a mercenary. When the likes of The Sun says something, the sheep follow: you only have to look at this week's elections to see the living embodiment of that.
We feel less like he failed and more that he was stepping into the shoes of a legend purely because we know how great he really was.
It's a bit like trying to convince Queen fans that actually Paul Rodgers is every bit as good as Freddie Mercury, it's just that they're different in how they do things ... or to give you a more up-to-date version, how about Matt Smith taking over from David Tennant as Dr.Who ?
Of course, nobody will ever top Jon Pertwee for me :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I thought the choice of actors that played Bremner & Giles were particularly bad. Also didn't think that Timothy Spall, who I rate very highly was a particularly good choice as Peter Taylor.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Didnt read the book but did see the film, and i tried to view it unbiased but i failed, i came away angry and bitter.
Year Zero ITK

Post by Year Zero ITK »

Did Peace say anything about Revie as England manager? Peace had nothing to do with the film production. Timothy Spall was rubbish as Peter Taylor, and Spall is one of the best actors going imo. Stephen Graham is brilliant too but not as Billy Bremner.

Anyway, each to their own, I was just a bit bothered by the comment that you must be a biased Leeds fan if you don't really like this film :D
shopo200558
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by shopo200558 »

I've read the book and seen the film a few times, as those have mentioned already it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt, it's poetic licence at best but very funny in places and well acted by Sheen and Meany.
I've never taken the film very seriously especially when Johnny Giles character came on screen and it tells you something about the character of Clough that he'd have acted the same way had he taken over manure fc, Arsenal or Spurs.