McDermott sacked from Leeds

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
BigLeedsFan72
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: McDermott sacked from Leeds

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Mellor wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Mellor wrote:Fergie was proven having poked the old firm in the eye and taken Aberdeen into Europe. He had never lost his job or been relegated and was ruthless. Is BM similar in any way?

I struggle with the argument that Fergie did it cos he was given time so a.n.other manager will do it given time. A.n.other manager may do but he's at least as likely to fail.

In short it's an act of faith rather than the application of logic.

And Saturday's result (excitement for once) - arguably only sacking/reinstating (or whatever) BM brought that about.

I wasn't for sacking BM, I'm not dewy eyed about him cos he's been poor for me, but I can't see how he can survive if Collini arrives. Really messy now.
Doesn't matter if he was successful before he was still being called to be sacked by a large section of the supporters. As I said he's no Fergie I don't think anyone ever will match his success.

Your logic is correct McD my fail (not failed) but how long do you give someone a year 2 years before you say they failed. Results "suggest" he's failing as did Red Noses the thing is he WAS given time. If we bring someone in tomorrow and he gets us to the play off , do we judge him if we lose them. I get the feeling (and not just at this club) but fans want to win every game immediately or it's sack the manager. Of course this is a results driven job, but building for the future as we all commended him for at the start needs to be done to help achieve the long term success if any. That's what i was comparing too, not the actual people.

I agree if the Italian buys the club McD's days are over. But if he keeps his record going, and it would be strange for the Italian Leopard to change his spots, then Sheepy may pack his job in and go full time on designing new headers for new managers.

Again and just my opinion, I would rather not have his kind running our club, but I have no real say. I will always follow and support the team as we all will.

MOT
I don't want the owners listening to supporters, most of whom seem to jump on the latest bandwagon to be in the gang. Owners need to lead and be strong/brave for me. My point really is that Fergie was 'proven' in a way that (for me at least) BM isn't and was, as a result, easier to back. On the field I have yet to see improvement. Behind the scenes I have no idea. That's where Fergie was doing the do. Only the owners know if BM is doing the do off the field. I can only trust their judgement. Worryingly they (GFH) don't seem great judges.

I would never choose Cellino. What we don't want though is new owners who have just scraped together enough to buy the club and then stall. Many fans lack the patience for years of slow progress which means they eventually turn on the manager.

Cellino has at least brought a bit of excitement. I wanted that because our football has been uninteresting. The players looked anything but lively and BM generally looked anything but a bloke who was enjoying his job.

Maybe good will come out of the whole sorry mess in the end. It certainly spiced up Saturday's performance
Like it or not the clubs are in the entertainment game. If nothing else Leeds are entertaining even when it's boring on the pitch the off field goings on keep us on the edge of our seats.
"Be like water my friend" Bruce Lee
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

If good guys finish last BM will never win another game in his life :D Until Saturday that is :lol:
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Transcript of conference:

13:47
All hopes for McDermott's future likely rest with Andrew Flowers consortium. They'll be sitting down to submit a bid to GFH tomorrow and are seeking an immediate response.
The continued presence of Festa at Elland Road is alarming though, it suggests Cellino's takeover is still expected to complete.

13:45
The reaction of fans, players and staff on Saturday played a deciding factor in McDermott's return.
I doubt this is the end of the drama, but for now, McDermott is back at Elland Road and looking to take Leeds United forward.

13:42
Absolute credit to McDermott for continuing to carry himself with the utmost dignity throughout a ridiculous situation at Elland Road.

13:40
McDermott spent a lot of time praising the fans, the players and the manager for Saturday's performance. It was his team that ended up beating Huddersfield 5-1 following some interference from Cellino's camp and a line-up change.

Gibbs restored the original line-up (McD's) when he was eventually given charge of the first team.

13:39
Seems they're ready to wrap things up at Elland Road. Key talking points -

- Festa was at training this morning

- McDermott never received written confirmation of his dismissal

- There's confusion over whether the new player met the transfer deadline

- McDermott has received written assurances regarding his future, as instructed to do so by LMA

- GFH remain in charge, McDermott answers only to them

13:35
McD "I've got assurances in writing"

13:35
McD "Ross McCormack has been phenomenal. He's become a real leader. You have to admire what he's done for Leeds United."

13:34
McD "All [the owners] have said to me is that I answer to them, whatever happens in the future, I don't know. There's a lot of speculation, but as far as the ownership is concerned, it's still to be resolved."

13:33
Do you feel let down?

McD "I would suggest this situation should never happen to a football manager"

13:33
What would you like to happen?

McD "Whatever happens, what's the best for Leeds United? That's the only thing I'm concerned about"

13:32
McD "I don't hold grudges. The most important thing is the Leeds fans, they showed absolute class on Saturday"

13:32
"Nigel Gibbs has been absolute class. I'm delighted we got that result with the team we'd been working on throughout the week."

13:31
Festa situation

"He was at the training ground this morning. I don't know the new player, he arrived deadline day, whether it's been ratified by the Football League I'm not sure. He'll get the utmost respect and every chance"

13:30
You could be in the same situation next week?

McD "People have said that to me, but how can I not go back? There's no way I'd leave the staff, the players and the supporters... The bigger picture is the stability of this club."

13:29
When did you realise there was no way your sacking was allowed to happen?

McD "All along it seemed odd, you have to be owner of the football club to sack the manager. I did think it was very strange"

13:28
McD "Neil (Redfearn) told me Festa had changed the team"

13:28
Brian, good to see you, where were you Saturday afternoon? "Watching Sky Sports..."

13:27
McD "My personal feelings are I want to be Leeds United manager, that's it... The support I've received has been fantastic."

13:26
McD "I've been given assurances that I answer to GFH and GFH only."

McD "I don't know if it was legal or not (his sacking)"

McD "Need to put this to bed and move forward, the ownership situation needs to be resolved quickly."

13:25
McD "I set the team up on Friday morning, the team you saw on Saturday, it was changed overnight, but we changed it back when Gibbs was put in charge"

Suggests someone else was in charge between Gibbs and McDermott.

13:24
McD "I signed a three-year deal, we spoke about a long-term vision, about the stability required. For me, that hasn't changed."

13:24
On Massimo Cellino's statement saying he wants McD as manager, did that have an impact on his return?

"Not really. I want to be Leeds United manager."

13:23
"Whatever happens, we need some calm. We need this place to be heading in the right direction. Since April (until Friday), when I came in, we've been heading in the right direction.

13:22
You could end up back in the same situation once Cellino takes over.

"I've no idea, I've had certain reassurances, but GFH Capital currently own the football club. We don't know who the new owners will be"

13:21
McD "Nigel Gibbs showed what a class act he is on Saturday. I was proud of the players, the staff and the fans for coming together on Saturday. That's why I'm back. The fans proved they're a class act. It's their football club."

13:20
McD "The reason I'm sitting here is because I've been reinstated. I want to be Leeds United manager."

13:19
McD "What's gone on? I got a phonecall Friday night from Chris Varnell to say I'd been relieved of my duties. Saturday morning, I got another phonecall from GFH saying that wasn't the case"

13:14 Updated : 13:14
Press conference just about to begin. First question should be "Brian, congratulations, welcome to Elland Road. How does it feel to be appointed manager of Leeds United?"
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Well done, BMc. You're conducting yourself with all the class and dignity which is so sadly lacking in our prospective new chairman.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

Aces wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:It's official McDermott is back and there's a press conference at 13:15.

Are you sure that's not ...... Harry Hill. :lol:
Looks like Heston Blumenthal on his way to see his food poisoned customers :o
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
BigLeedsFan72

Post by BigLeedsFan72 »

If BM is in charge of all things football related why does he not know the Italian running around T.A.? Why does he not have the power to tell him and his so called interpreter to get out and don't come back?

That is really worrying for me. So who really is in charge of the footballing side of things???

It would take Sherlock Holmes Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot to understand what is really going on at this club.
Owlish52
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by Owlish52 »

That's the real Brian McDermott, too. He's a good man and a good manager, but he may well have a touch too much loyalty, especially to former players (like you've seen with Hunt and I'm afraid will see with Jimmy Kebe), but he may learn. You saw the 'good Kebe' last week, and when he is good, he is quite good indeed. But his track record is 1 'good' day, 2 'fair to OK' days, 2 'Was he on the pitch? Really, all game?' days and 5 days injured - perhaps he'll be better at Leeds than he was at Reading. He has the skill to play at the Premier League level, but does not show it consistently (hence he's back in the Championship), and that on/off play makes him hard to really like.

Brian's best skill, IMO, is his ability to get the most out of a side. It may take him some time to get the squad together, Brian style, but once he does, he'll get the best out of each player, and the whole will be better than the parts. Given time, he'll get LUFC into the Premier League, and hopefully by then (if not already), he'll have enough judgement to know which of his players who gave their best to get that promotion just are not quite good enough for the PL - he missed that badly (again, IMO) at Reading.
Someone who lies with the claim he speaks the truth will always be elected by voters who lie insisting that they want to hear it.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Thanks for the transcript Graham. One thing that bothers me is why is this Festa guy allowed anywhere near TA ? Who has told security to allow him access ?
Winner of the Europa League