Ross McCormack waiting on contract talks.....

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2747

Re: Ross McCormack waiting on contract talks.....

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Mellor wrote:
Frankie wrote:
Mellor wrote:Given a guaranteed opportunity to play in the Prem, to test yourself against the best players in the country, I can see no reason on earth why a player wouldn't jump at the opportunity. It's likely to be worth more money but more than that it's the challenge. Turning that down just leave's the player wondering if he had it in him and it's something he is likely to regret for the rest of his life. Just cos Becchio didn't work out doesn't mean it doesn't work out. It just proves Becchio wasn't good enough, no more/no less.

We lost 4 to Norwich. BJ (whose presence we still miss in midfield - no one messed him about) and Snoddy have been a success and Howson has had his moments - he at least knows what it's like and where he sits in the pecking order. We have no right to expect any of our players to turn down an opportunity. We do however have a right to expect 100% while they wear the white shirt

How many on here would turn down promotion and of those that would how many would do it out of loyalty? In my experience people only turn down promotion cos they prefer not to move home or travel or they have caring responsibilities or they don't want to take on the challenge.

Mellor you are indeed a pragmatist.

I still sometimes wonder why Norwich actually bought Becchio. :x

As you say, not everyone is ambitious for status and reward, some pursue more simple ambitions. I don't agree though that that is a sign of weakness, to prefer to be where you want to be, making decisions against the expected norm is courageous, if that is the decision you wish to make.
Successful sportsmen are different I think. Sportsmen are born to compete? Those that don't, fall away.

Await posts about Maslow's hierarchy of needs ;)

:) Well it may be applicable in those cases where sports men and women reach a point where they are no longer feeling that competitive urge so much! :)
Charian
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Charian »

I still think this is a good news more than bad. Teams will want him and he knows this, and they will pay him almost double what he's on now probably along with PL football. It's almost a certainty now that if a team comes in and you reject a bid, therefor not allowing someone to earn a more sizeable amount of money, the player will want an improved contract. I actually see McCormacks reasoning. I said it before on another thread, Modric had a similar situation when Spurs originally blocked his move to Madrid. Redknapp came out and said he was almost defiantly going to be offered a better deal with Spurs if they will not allow him to go to Madrid.

He has also had a very good season, giving him leverage when it comes to asking for an improved deal. I don't think he wants a brand new deal, just an improved one. Not saying I agree with all of this, it's just a modern day situation that we will see more and more of. At least he gives the impression he wants to say. Unlike players in the past.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I agree with what you are saying Charian, but the only thing is with Ross, he's just had a new improved contract not long back. I'm not saying there should be any time limits on when he and the club should renegotiate, but it just seems too soon to me.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Charian

Post by Charian »

Aces wrote:I agree with what you are saying Charian, but the only thing is with Ross, he's just had a new improved contract not long back. I'm not saying there should be any time limits on when he and the club should renegotiate, but it just seems too soon to me.
Yes for most fans of the club I'd say it's to soon. As we follow the club and pay to watch, even when the team is playing poor, it's hard to comprehend someone not happy with that amount of money.

Now on the flip side. Ross will be thinking this is the perfect time. With Cellino in, him being the clear best player in the current team, having scored all those goals. Having interest from PL clubs and being club captain. It seems the odds are stacked in his favour to ask for an improved deal, all be it very soon after signing a new one.

I just think we should see it from his point of view as well as ours, even if we disagree with the timing, it could be the perfect timing for him. If you felt you had a good chance to get a pay increase at work, most would peruse it.

And one last point. Wouldn't it be nice to give a player a big contract and have him turn down offers from the PL because we can afford not to sell him. Could be a watershed moment for Leeds United.

I'm trying to look for positives and not negatives from situations at the club at the moment. Just because most talk is negative, and has been for so many years, and rightfully so, but I have a feeling I haven't had in a while, huge optimism, even if we have had a dreadful second half of the season.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I suppose if your a greedy beggar then fair enough, I think his timing is wrong IMO the club is losing money, he's had an improved pay deal not long ago, so to want another just because he's had a good season, I think it's wrong, but your right, if I thought I could get another pay rise I would.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I really don't think McCormack can afford to turn down any offers from the Premiership if we continue with roughly the same transfer policy. We really need a massive infusion of quality into the squad and serious money spent this summer I would think to convince him to stay. It's a similar situation to Snodgrass a few years ago. He left because he could see we were showing no ambition to reach the PL anytime soon and he was better leaving for the sake of his career (and ofcourse he would get paid more). Bates and many fans argued he was just being greedy, but I think his decision has been vindicated. Hopefully Cellino will come good on his promises and we can build a squad to challenge with McCormack at the heart of it.
Smudger179
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Smudger179 »

https://twitter.com/andyhutchypn/status ... 3651741696

I would say give him a new contract this summer to send a hands off message to other many suitors were likely to get bids from! He currently deserves to be the highest paid player at the club. He's the only one to perform this season and scoring nearly 30 goals in a team that's in the bottom half of the league is an amazing achievement! IMO!
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

dangermouse wrote:It's a similar situation to Snodgrass a few years ago. He left because he could see we were showing no ambition to reach the PL anytime soon and he was better leaving for the sake of his career (and ofcourse he would get paid more). Bates and many fans argued he was just being greedy, but I think his decision has been vindicated.
And we'll look forward to playing against Robert next season. ;) :angel:
Smudger179
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Smudger179 »

Sniffer wrote:
dangermouse wrote:It's a similar situation to Snodgrass a few years ago. He left because he could see we were showing no ambition to reach the PL anytime soon and he was better leaving for the sake of his career (and ofcourse he would get paid more). Bates and many fans argued he was just being greedy, but I think his decision has been vindicated.
:thumbup:
Charian

Post by Charian »

Sniffer wrote:
I think he's certain to get snapped up by mother PL club. Although Norwich in general will be nice to play. I'm sure there's one or two other ex Leeds players floating around down there :D