2014/15 Transfer rumours in and out

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: 2014/15 Transfer rumours in and out

Post by Aces »

At least we seem to be steering away from giving ageing never been that great players contracts on silly money, which the last two owners allowed to happen. I think Cellinos finding it hard to get the quality in we need and pay them wages that he feels won't put the club in massive debt. Hopefully he will find two or three gems for us before the season starts, it's getting harder for him though.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I'm not sure if wages were entirely the issue here Si, particularly if it was a loan deal. Looking at it from Vivianni's point of view. He is currently a Roma player, on the fringes of the Italy squad. He is at an important stage of his career and he will be thinking of that first and foremost. I would imagine he has offers from Serie A clubs and this one from Leeds. He may be willing to join Leeds if he can see we are really pushing for promotion this season. But playing 2 or 3 years in the Championship is not going to do his career any good. I would think he wanted assurances we would be pushing on, and the option to cut the loan short if we were not. No doubt he will have seen the game on Tuesday, and been concerned at what he seen. He will have looked at our management team to see if they are the people who can develop him as a player.
Like any pro footballer he will be doing what is best for his career and who could blame him. It's all very well Cellino saying he doesn't want him now, but with 2 weeks to go to kick off it appears he has a real problem getting quality players into the club on his terms. I think he would be better reviewing the reasons why rather than blaming Vivianni.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

dangermouse wrote:I'm not sure if wages were entirely the issue here Si, particularly if it was a loan deal. Looking at it from Vivianni's point of view. He is currently a Roma player, on the fringes of the Italy squad. He is at an important stage of his career and he will be thinking of that first and foremost. I would imagine he has offers from Serie A clubs and this one from Leeds. He may be willing to join Leeds if he can see we are really pushing for promotion this season. But playing 2 or 3 years in the Championship is not going to do his career any good. I would think he wanted assurances we would be pushing on, and the option to cut the loan short if we were not. No doubt he will have seen the game on Tuesday, and been concerned at what he seen. He will have looked at our management team to see if they are the people who can develop him as a player.
Like any pro footballer he will be doing what is best for his career and who could blame him. It's all very well Cellino saying he doesn't want him now, but with 2 weeks to go to kick off it appears he has a real problem getting quality players into the club on his terms. I think he would be better reviewing the reasons why rather than blaming Vivianni.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Spot on.

There comes a point when you're playing FM with Leeds that you can no longer sign anyone you want for less than £25k/pw because anyone willing to accept less is no better than what you've got.
I think Cellino's hit that wall in real life, in terms of the quality he's after.

Plus, if you're Italian any move to England means "£££" in your head because of the TV money, so you can't even blame the players, especially when they're uprooting to another country. I looked at working in France ten years ago and it was a cracking package that tempted me, but I wouldn't have done it for an average salary.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Pulling out of the deals for Delort and Bellusci have been more frustrating, for me, than the Viviani deal as they were more needed and were joining on a permanent.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

Probably right Si, but it is players of this standard we don't appear able to get over the line. The clock is ticking.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I think most players are money orientated first, then career second IMO. I think we have a problem at Leeds with us being a sleeping giant club, players who we tug at will see the ££££££ signs. I thinks it impossible to say, or show any player that we might be in the premiership next year, the year after, or ever. Any player coming here will know he's playing in the second tier of English football and if he signs a 3 year contract, he might still be playing in the championship 3 years later. It's mega tough to get out of this league and it would be a good idea for Cellino saying to a new player, If ....... We get promoted, we will pay you an extra x thousands of pounds per week, which we will be able to afford once the sky mega millions comes rolling in.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

isrodger wrote:My concern along with those of others, is that whilst on the big fan of MC, I honestly don't believe our club will progress until we have the football infrastructure sorted with a proper management structure. I fear we could be like QPR prior to Warnock taking over. I feel pampered footballers will smell weakness if the first team coach/manager, isn't perceived as the main man. Hopefully Cellino wi wake up to the fact that, this is his big weakness in the strategy for the club, sooner rather than later. The first team is in danger of being perceived as a rich man's plaything, and until this situation is addressed I fear it difficult to attract serious footballers to the club.
At first I disagreed with you, but the more I thought the more I realized you are right. Players need a strong man on the sideline telling them what to do. I hope it works for us.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Some of the previous posts reflect some of concerns that are starting to worry me. It is one thing to be linked to a player and deal falls through. Its another when we have two players almost signed, (Rossini and viviani) who pull out at last minute.

Salerno is talking about 5 more players, but I would prefer 2 or 3 leaders in key positions.

For information, Sean st ledger is still looking for a club. Might be a good bet as he needs a club like Leeds to put back in running for Irish squad
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

V. disappointing about Viviani :thumbdown: I hope we can get a holding midfielder now, don't want another season of Austin. Still need a goalscorer (Chris Wood will do), an attacking midfielder and an experienced CD.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

gilesdriveby wrote:Some of the previous posts reflect some of concerns that are starting to worry me. It is one thing to be linked to a player and deal falls through. Its another when we have two players almost signed, (Rossini and viviani) who pull out at last minute.

Salerno is talking about 5 more players, but I would prefer 2 or 3 leaders in key positions.

For information, Sean st ledger is still looking for a club. Might be a good bet as he needs a club like Leeds to put back in running for Irish squad
Thought it was Leeds that pulled the plug on Rossini not the player turning us down.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.