The Gardening Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Gardening Thread

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:
Aces wrote:Looks really good that mate.

I have just cut my lawns again, a couple of years ago, I dug out round the edges, put plastic down and white stones, so all I need to do is cut the grass. It looks great and is easy to manage. I cut back all the bushes, that my neighbour planted 20 years ago, they hang over on to my decking and driveway, but I like the greenery they create. I used his shears, which decimated them right back, it looks really tidy again now.
Cheers mate. I really liked the trees at the start seemed a good idea. But have you ever seen below Leylandii trees? Every spring I had an inch of dead material on the decking. That and the green moss which grew made the decking an off limits if it was wet at all. We couldn't really use the decking for flies in the summer because of the trees, just wasn't practicable. Haven't seen a fly since cutting them down. That and actually having sun for nearly 4 hrs a day more*, they had to go.

* This is the hours of possible sunlight gain. However as I am in Norn Iron a realistic figure of 4 hours per summer period is more accurate.
Davy, During the 4 hours of sunshine, you won't get the benefit of your new decking as you will be at Giants Causeway. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Aces wrote:Looks really good that mate.

I have just cut my lawns again, a couple of years ago, I dug out round the edges, put plastic down and white stones, so all I need to do is cut the grass. It looks great and is easy to manage. I cut back all the bushes, that my neighbour planted 20 years ago, they hang over on to my decking and driveway, but I like the greenery they create. I used his shears, which decimated them right back, it looks really tidy again now.
Cheers mate. I really liked the trees at the start seemed a good idea. But have you ever seen below Leylandii trees? Every spring I had an inch of dead material on the decking. That and the green moss which grew made the decking an off limits if it was wet at all. We couldn't really use the decking for flies in the summer because of the trees, just wasn't practicable. Haven't seen a fly since cutting them down. That and actually having sun for nearly 4 hrs a day more*, they had to go.

* This is the hours of possible sunlight gain. However as I am in Norn Iron a realistic figure of 4 hours per summer period is more accurate.
Davy, During the 4 hours of sunshine, you won't get the benefit of your new decking as you will be at Giants Causeway. :D
My I correct you John, I will be NEAR the Giants Causeway.... I'll be stuck in amongst the 500,000 other people making use of the 4 hrs on the one road up north.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Took some Photos in my Garden Today :-

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Loks like you have a great location for for a relaing afternoon there mate. Would I be right in thinking that's St Mary's Hemingborough in the distance?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:Loks like you have a great location for for a relaing afternoon there mate. Would I be right in thinking that's St Mary's Hemingborough in the distance?
No I'm actually in Selby but its Brayton Church you can see in the background.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:
Davycc wrote:Loks like you have a great location for for a relaing afternoon there mate. Would I be right in thinking that's St Mary's Hemingborough in the distance?
No I'm actually in Selby but its Brayton Church you can see in the background.
Hence the "Selby" white :D though I don't think your that far away from Hemingborough? thought maybe it sounded better than Heminboroughwhite :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Anyone fancy cutting my lawns, ICBA I'm playing golf later in a comp and need all my energy. There's a couple of beers in it for anyone desperate enough to keep getting their gardening fix. :lolno:
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Just spent 90 minutes doing my lawns ACES, so I will pass on that one but thank you very much for the offer :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Anyone know where to get a couple of Manatees? I know people who use sheep or goats to keep their grass down but here I need Manatees.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Think spring is here early, a few flowers coming out and lawn needs cutting which i plan to do today, never before have i had to do it in February.