The Damned United film

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
95lodgey
Giddy Kipper

The Damned United film

Post by 95lodgey »

Anybody else think that the film was a disgrace? Not only did it inaccurately portray Clough as a petty little man, but it portrayed the great Leeds side as childish bullies! The scene where they foul Clough in a training session and all laugh at him springs to mind. The film also portrayed big Don as a ****. All in all I think the film's a pile of over-dramatic ****! Rant over. Thoughts?
Year Zero ITK
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: The Damned United film

Post by Year Zero ITK »

It is but you don't need to be effin and Jeffin it to get your point across :D

Clough WAS clattered in a training session though, I'm sure I've read that in at least two LU books :D
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Could never understand why anyone would watch it or read the book tbh.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Watched this when it first came out mainly out of curiosity. There was so many things that were inaccurate it was unbelievable. Johnny Giles as a 6 footer was the most glaring. OP I've edited your original post.
Winner of the Europa League
Year Zero ITK

Post by Year Zero ITK »

Anyone watch that Sky comedy Moone Boy? It is grand :D Anyway, the lad's dad is the actor who played Giles in the TDU film, I think.

I really enjoyed the book, it is so much better than the film, so much.
The Johnson
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by The Johnson »

It is a brilliant film.

Whether it is factual or not is a pointless discussion. As a piece of narrative, as a story, it is truly great. Look at this film without the bias of being a Leeds fan and I think there is something there for everyone, because at the end of the day, it is a great story, well told and brilliantly put together.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

I have to say I enjoyed it, it's entertainment and not a fully accurate documentary. Although based on the waistline of some of the players, I would have been an awesome box to box midfielder even in my decrepit state today!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

The book is amazing and it helps to read it first, especially if you then see the deleted scenes on the DVD.
I'd love to see another cut with them all back in as the movie would make a lot more sense and show the darker side of what drove Clough to become the winner that he ultimately was.
Year Zero ITK

Post by Year Zero ITK »

The Johnson wrote:It is a brilliant film.

Whether it is factual or not is a pointless discussion. As a piece of narrative, as a story, it is truly great. Look at this film without the bias of being a Leeds fan and I think there is something there for everyone, because at the end of the day, it is a great story, well told and brilliantly put together.
That's your opinion mate, just because some people disagree strongly doesn't mean necessarily that they're biased. The book is a great read imho, the film is an embarrassing parody of that book. It isn't all bad, Sheen's portrayal of Clough is fabulous as is Colm Meanie's of The Don. Thing is the book is a seriously told story, a story that has very little humour or brightness to it but the film is a comedy just about and they don't get the balance anywhere near right.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

I'm interested in all things LUFC related, fact, or fiction!
I read t'book and though it was a good read.
I watched t'film (3 times) and enjoyed it, but viewed it more as a work of some fiction, based on some fact.
I can see why purists would be upset by it, but for me it was good 'entertainment' and I agree Sheen and Colm thingy portrayed Cloughie and Sir Don really well! :thumbup:

MOT.