McDermott Parted Company with Leeds

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: McDermott Parted Company with Leeds

Post by Aces »

Just looked at a betting odds site and it has Hockaday at evens, Carbone at 1/1 which I assume is evens again and then Zola at 7/2.

Please Lord let it be Zola, I would love him to be our next manager. We deserve some joy .... Surely?
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

Aces wrote:Just looked at a betting odds site and it has Hockaday at evens, Carbone at 1/1 which I assume is evens again and then Zola at 7/2.

Please Lord let it be Zola, I would love him to be our next manager. We deserve some joy .... Surely?
Why? He's done nothing special.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Aaron wrote:
Aces wrote:Just looked at a betting odds site and it has Hockaday at evens, Carbone at 1/1 which I assume is evens again and then Zola at 7/2.

Why? He's done nothing special.
On that premis, we should get Sven in. :shock:

Zola has managed West Ham in the premiership and it's said they played good flair football, plus he nearly got Watford promoted. He is a person of stature, who will attract good players, someone who has experience of both the championship and premiership. He's third favourite behind a nobody called Hockaday and a never has been a manager in Cabone. I prefer Zola out of these three.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

stewpot01 wrote:
Year Zero ITK wrote:No disrespect at all who disagrees with this view but personally I believe as much about that old excuse 'mutual consent' and 'amicable' as I do most politicians ie not very much. With all his vague snipes and criticisms of the club and the manager, Cellino SEEMS to have been trying to force McDermott out for quite some time now. That is my opinion but the numerous 'nice' comments from Cellino, especially about the manager, get less and less believable as time presses on.
I for one agree totally with what you say. Cellino pi$$ed me off with his attack on McDermott in a calendar news interview, he (Cellino) was less than pleased BM had gone on holiday, a pee poor excuse at best as he must have known the manager would need some kind of break after vall the flack of recent weeks.

While I welcome Cellino to ER and hope things work out, I can see shades of the one time Hearts owner creeping in, a lunatic who wants everyone to dance to his tune or he takes his bat hoe, and god help the club IF he turns out that way.
I personally agree with both comments above. I am angry and upset at BM leaving. He has bee treated abysmally by LUFC. Firstly GFH, contradicting themselves and failing to implement their plans, which BM signed up to. Cellino then continued to undermine him from the off, yet at the same time saying what a good guy he is and how badly GFH must have been to work under.

As for the football, I defy anyone to have done a great job under the same circumstances and with the same squad of players. As some have said previously -including Cellino - he never had much of a chance to do the job to the best of his abilities. Yet he embraced being Leeds manager and had a love for it. He remained dignified and showed real integrity in the face of such bizarre and undeserved treatment. I really would have hoped that the least he deserved was a chance to do the job properly.

But for BM it is good that he will now hopefully go somewhere and be treated with proper respect and integrity, which he deserves.

I for one have always wanted the best for our club and whilst Cellino is willing to try to save us then that has to be a good thing, but for me he will only be a true and trusted saviour if he manages to bring us back up from the gutter that Ridsdale and those that came after him sank us into. Our club needs to get it's self-respect back and stop sloshing around in the dirt!

I have said previously that when BM goes we will probably not get a big name manager, but will be getting someone unknown, probably inexperienced and definitely cheap - I fear that I may have not been far off the mark! I hope whoever becomes our 'coach' gets proper support from the manager Cellino. ( I hold any comment regarding this set up until I see what happens.)

I don't think that last season's issues and failures were so much to do with BM, but much more to do with LUFC and the state it was in and I am glad Cellino appears to be stopping the rot in some areas. Like someone else said BM was just unlucky to be at LUFC at he wrong-est of times. (He still has a pretty good case for constructive dismissal in my book!). I also hope that now he has gone some will stop having their little digs at at him.

I would like to thank BM for all of his time and dedication to LUFC and wish him the best of luck for the future, if he has got another job then he deserves it.

IMHO
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Frankie I agree with your great post, but BM had to go, his position was untenable. I think it's best for all concerned IMO.
stewpot01
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by stewpot01 »

Great post Frankie and all good and valid points.

I don't think there will be a scramble for application forms as we are now a poisoned chalice, and given MCs record of hiring and firing - he has started already - then who will want to work for him as it seems his guarantees will guarantee nothing.

McDermott will probably come back to haunt us, I won't begrudge him the victory, a man who kept his dignity, wore his heart on his sleeve, and , with the right backing, would, I am sure, made a good manager.

I dislike this talk of Zola coming here, he has achieved nothing in management, if Cellino must have an Italian coach then at least show SOME ambition and appoint Di Matteo, then we might start to take him seriously, but we will probably end up with some Serie B coach who cannot speak a word of English. I suspect the players are getting seriously pissed off already - the lucky ones have left.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

stewpot01 wrote:Great post Frankie and all good and valid points.

I don't think there will be a scramble for application forms as we are now a poisoned chalice, and given MCs record of hiring and firing - he has started already - then who will want to work for him as it seems his guarantees will guarantee nothing.

McDermott will probably come back to haunt us, I won't begrudge him the victory, a man who kept his dignity, wore his heart on his sleeve, and , with the right backing, would, I am sure, made a good manager.

I dislike this talk of Zola coming here, he has achieved nothing in management, if Cellino must have an Italian coach then at least show SOME ambition and appoint Di Matteo, then we might start to take him seriously, but we will probably end up with some Serie B coach who cannot speak a word of English. I suspect the players are getting seriously pissed off already - the lucky ones have left.

Not sure if its a bad thing if a few of the players get p****d off given some of the tripe they served up last year.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Carl Harris and his mighty moustache
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Carl Harris and his mighty moustache »

Agree with sentiments of Frankies post. BMD goes with my respect and thanks. He maintained his personal dignity in very difficult professional circumstances. I suspect in time his time at Leeds will make for an interesting chapter or two in his memoirs.

I hope he gets another job soon with a club with a stable set up and money and does the decent thing and buys Hunt off us for a couple of million.

Carl MoT
stewpot01
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by stewpot01 »

Selby White wrote:
stewpot01 wrote:Great post Frankie and all good and valid points.

Not sure if its a bad thing if a few of the players get p****d off given some of the tripe they served up last year.
I don't think they will want to hang around, and given some of the abysmal 'football' they served up, then I would not have them selling tickets. Without McCormack we might well have swapped places with Rotherham and be looking forward to playing Bradford City and Fleetwood. I don't think the clear out went anywhere near far enough, some of the rubbish pretending to be Leeds United footballers wouldn't get into a decent L1 side.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Never given a chance eh ???

Brian put the team out week in week out.

Brian encouraged his players to play hoof football

Brian played McCormack on the right side of midfield in the early part of the season

Brian persisted in playing Austin when it was clearly obvious to most fans he was a liability

Brian left Brown out of the team for months even though Austin was a major problem

Brian dropped our best midfielder in Murphy after playing him in a deep role for far too long

Brian dropped Zaliukas after one bad game

Brian stuck with Lees at CB when Peltier would have been a better option

Brian played Mowatt on the right flank which destroyed the kid's confidence

Brian dropped Varney (8 goals in 42 games) for his mate Hunt whose LUFC cv reads no goals in 20 appearances

Brian decided not to bother subbing until it was way too late week in week out.

Brian's decision to play Stewart and Kebe (the much needed wingers to ping the ball up to our big guy up front) and then leave Smith on the bench. Stewart should never been signed as he was hopeless at Hull

Brian played Ross for two games when he was full of flu

Brian signs Wickham & plays him on the wing

At Burnley when we were 2-1 down with 20 minutes to go Brian brings on Poleon & plays him upfront moving McCormack & Wickham onto the flanks

Brian's decision when we were 2 nil down at home to play Aryibi (young lad, lacking in confidence) probably shot his confidence to pieces in front of the baying crowd.

Our best game this season was the one when Brian had been "sacked" and Gibbs was in charge. Says it all really.

Many of our fans seem to have forgotten these facts !

Most spend their time creaming over what a nice man he is which is perfectly true of course, claiming he is a top manager is open to conjecture though :roll: Apologies for my scepticism but i saw enough on the pitch to suggest otherwise !

I suspect when the whole new coaching team is put into place we'll see a team that can play the basics of football with the emphasis on defending....it's the Italian way !

New brush, clean sweep :clap: