Legends axed

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Legends axed

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Nepotism is the way of the world - there's no point moaning about it ...
Oh so true, just so happens three of the other managers that "had no place in the company" have now miraculously returned on 30hr contracts (working mostly from home) 1 is the VP's wife and the other 2 are married and spend their hols every year with the VP and his wife. Nothing advertised and we know we could fight it but as Rigger says, it's the way of the world.

Or is that sour grapes :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

The only reason that football fans around the world pay as much as they do to follow their team's varying efforts on the pitch is sentiment. If there's no room for that in football anymore then it really is all over for the game. Sentiment is why a club like ours, which has been struggling for so long, still has massive support. If we looked at it rationally, no-one would bother turning up!

I was fortunate enough to attend a corporate hospitality match a few years ago, as part of a player sponsorship package. Meeting Mick Jones was one of the highlights of the occasion for me. These events do a lot to reaffirm supporters' faith in the club, and involving Leeds legends adds value to them, thus encouraging greater returns. For the limited appearance fee they receive, these ex-players do a lot to enhance corporate events.

The whole point of a club is that it is just that - a club, rather than merely another business exercise. Retaining the services and connections with players like these is a significant part of being a club, to which supporters will want to remain attached and support.

I'm afraid this is another one in the "goals against" column from Mr. Cellino. Perhaps before stirring resentment among our loyal and trusted retainers, he could have resolved other more pressing matters such as :
a) David Haigh's winding up order, the outcome of which I was expecting to hear something about today.
b) The outcome of the court case in Sardinia, the written findings of which are due - as far as I can establish - in just over a week's time.

Both of these could have a far greater significance on the future of the club and his ownership than dispensing with the services of great Leeds players of the past.

Great post, totally agree, this has to be a pretty short-sighted decision. In the scheme of things, these players must bring in 10 times more than they are paid.

The alternative would be to hire them on a weekly basis, but I imagine that could turn out to cost more in the long run!

It would appear that Cellino does not have the right idea about just how intrinsic players such as Hunter, Reaney and Jones in particular, are to the history of our club and like you say how contributory they are to the massive fan base we still have!

All clubs have past players who are still a part of the club and help to maintain their histories and their ethos!
Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 10 Jun 2014, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:
who would work at McDonalds if they didn't have a rich dad
You don't know that.

Nepotism is the way of the world - there's no point moaning about it ...

The older I get the more I realise it's not what you know but who you know and being in the right place at the right time.
If you fight it, you'll just end up bitter and twisted.
It's all about networking, whether you're talking careers, hobbies, family life, etc ..
To be fair, they're not bad looking.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

dlw10 wrote:Finally, it is disappointing that none of these guys seems prepared to do the hospitality thing for the price of free hospitality for themselves and a guest. That is surely something any of us would jump at the chance of having. I was actually surprised when I learned they got a salary on top of that as well!
Sorry, I see it completely the other way. Beyond the fact that some of them looked to be enjoying the opportunity to reminisce and have some company and admiration for a few hours, I'm guessing the main reason they were doing it were that very wage. Don't know how well set up they are individually, but by all accounts I've read from their era of footballing greatness, it's unlikely they will have earned enough for football to pay for their retirement on its own.

They don't owe Leeds United anything IMO, and asking them to do the day's hospitality in exchange of a meal and seat for them and a guest is rather near to an insult. So far the club were saying to them: you're valuable enough, will you do this for a wage?, now it's saying: can we still have your added value, we'll give you nothing in exchange, you can bring a mate along (in catering terms, I imagine a dozen meals & seats on a day can easily go unused, so it's no skin off the club's back, I'm sure).
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Good to see Reaney keep things in perspective.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Sorry, I see it completely the other way. Beyond the fact that some of them looked to be enjoying the opportunity to reminisce and have some company and admiration for a few hours, I'm guessing the main reason they were doing it were that very wage. Don't know how well set up they are individually, but by all accounts I've read from their era of footballing greatness, it's unlikely they will have earned enough for football to pay for their retirement on its own.

They don't owe Leeds United anything IMO, and asking them to do the day's hospitality in exchange of a meal and seat for them and a guest is rather near to an insult. So far the club were saying to them: you're valuable enough, will you do this for a wage?, now it's saying: can we still have your added value, we'll give you nothing in exchange, you can bring a mate along (in catering terms, I imagine a dozen meals & seats on a day can easily go unused, so it's no skin off the club's back, I'm sure).
I quite agree, they don't owe Leeds anything! Offering them a free meal is quite insulting. These players deserve more respect!!

Hospitality is quite a tough job, in that you have to spend a lot of time talking to, and listening to people - people that you probably wouldn't normally spend time with - bigging them up, probably having to tolerate some questionable behaviours and attitudes!! Why should they do it for nothing? I wouldn't work for nothing, who would?
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

I agree with Bogdan and frankie on this. It's quite insulting to club legends to ask them to work for 2 dinners. Another layer of what sets Leeds apart from the average Championship club has been stripped away. If we want to look at cutting costs I wonder what money Edoardo Cellino and his brother are taking out of the club as board members, and what value do they bring to the club to justify their wages?
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Gosh, tricky topic!

Lasher used to run a club off Dewsbury Road in the 1980's where fans (like me :lol:) could have a few beers before the game and then go to Elland Road in a minibus with the chance to talk to him/hear his views on what might happen in the game. Anyone remember?

I feel sad for these guys who made the club such a legend that the remuneration they received at the time didn't provide for a comfortable future.

Thankfully, these days, clubs are realising that when they take a player on board as a youngster they must also be responsible for their education in the way of the world. I recall an inciteful TV programme by Alan Hansen who recounted the troubles of Neil 'razor' Ruddock who, for example, didn't know how to book a doctor's appointment once his playing career had finished.

The other side of the coin is......how to say this......new/young players arriving and there's LUFC legends attending the game they are about to play in. Aren't they thinking - I'll never be as good as them......

I really don't know...........
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

As the years roll by the numbers in the crowd who don't remember Revie's players decreases. The guys are certainly legends to me and will always be just that, corporate do or no corporate do (never been to one, never been in a box, don't use the pavillion) but do the under 30s care (I've no idea only the under 30s will know). Similarly I've no idea what we can and can't afford but if we can't afford legends we can't afford them. Only the board know the answer to that. I'm going with Reaney whose stance mirrors his approach to the game and does him great credit. If he can deal with it I'm sure I can.

Agree with rigger on the nepotism/networking mullarkey - you can't fight it (well you can but you won't win in my experience). Personally I can't stand it or cliques or anything else where the ruling cabal look after their own but they do and you simply have to decide whether you want in or not.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente