Legends axed

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Legends axed

Post by Sheepy »

It certainly is a tricky one this. One argument is, out of all the non-playing employees/roles at the club, which are the ones that command (1) the biggest outgoing in terms of salary and (2) are the most expendable? Personally I think its the roles of the 'legends' who perform corporate tasks.

Now I understand that by axing these positions they do make the corporate experience less mouth watering. It could be a catch 22 situation, but I'm sure this has not been a decision taken lightly.

Its a shame that we could have not perhaps reduced the amount of 'legends' that work in the corporate sector, for one I don't hold John Hendrie as a legend that would command as much draw as say Big Norm or Reaney (No offence to Hendrie who is a really nice chap).

The one thing it does do is highlight how much we have to get our house in order, as I said, I'm sure its not a decision that has been taken lightly. A massive shame, but in the grand scheme of things, seems it has to be done.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Sheepy wrote:It certainly is a tricky one this. One argument is, out of all the non-playing employees/roles at the club, which are the ones that command (1) the biggest outgoing in terms of salary and (2) are the most expendable? Personally I think its the roles of the 'legends' who perform corporate tasks.

Now I understand that by axing these positions they do make the corporate experience less mouth watering. It could be a catch 22 situation, but I'm sure this has not been a decision taken lightly.

Its a shame that we could have not perhaps reduced the amount of 'legends' that work in the corporate sector, for one I don't hold John Hendrie as a legend that would command as much draw as say Big Norm or Reaney (No offence to Hendrie who is a really nice chap).

The one thing it does do is highlight how much we have to get our house in order, as I said, I'm sure its not a decision that has been taken lightly. A massive shame, but in the grand scheme of things, seems it has to be done.
I pretty much agree with Sheepy's post, its a shame its had to happen but the state of affairs the club is in right now, it had to happen. Maybe once they have sorted out all the finances then the legends may return. Only time will tell.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

And the thing is they'll still be legends when we can afford them again............
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mapperleywhite wrote:And the thing is they'll still be legends when we can afford them again............
Yeah but by that time Sam Byron will be classed as a legend and our sons and daughters will be posting here.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote:And the thing is they'll still be legends when we can afford them again............
Yeah but by that time Sam Byron will be classed as a legend and our sons and daughters will be posting here.
Lord Byron is a legend
but alas, alack
Sam Byram is only a wing back.

anon
I once played against Don Revie.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Lord Byron is a legend
but alas, alack
Sam Byram is only a wing back.

anon
and that brings to mind one of the funniest things I heard last season. We were struggling against Rochdale in the first half at Spotland. We were dire and Lee Peltier had the misfortune to be plying his trade down Leeds right hand side, just yards from the massed ranks of the Leeds fans. Someone shouts out something about wing-backs and then, just as Peltier goes past us a couple of yards away, a bloke near me leans forward and shouts "You're more f****** ding-bat than wing back Peltier!"
Year Zero ITK
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Year Zero ITK »

Yeah hilarious, not :D
Year Zero ITK
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Year Zero ITK »

If Cellino is as loaded and as generous and as inclined towards spending on our club as everyone is being led to believe, then sorry but WHY is cutting back on the 'legends' & corporate entertainment' so necessary? And how much money do you think it actually will save? Am I wrong in thinking that most of these ex players are not on a salary but just on appearance money or whatever we call it?

i appreciate that this aspect of match day hospitailty is unquantifiable in terms of profit & loss, but I'd be inclined to believe that many of the corporate ticket holders prefer to see and meet these players before a match, maybe Cellino's decision could have a negative effect on corporate ticket sales. I'm unbiased about this, very possibly there ought to have been changes made to the 'legends' arrangement but to just cut them out completely isn't the right decision for me, and I hope I'm wrong but I'm a bit suspicious of the motives. Having said all that, if I'm wrong and these ex players have been on a regular wage then that definitely needed addressing.
dangermouse
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by dangermouse »

On the subject of cost cutting, how much are we paying our Chairman Salah Noorudin? ... and when was the last time he turned up for work? Here we are in mid June and the bank accounts are still frozen because we refused to pay a debt, no coach, no pre season plans and a chairman who as far as I know hasn't set foot in the club for months. Our "manager" has delayed returning to Leeds now until next week when he will apparently choose a coach and "finish picking the team". How can we finish something we are not even close to starting?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Norman Hunter has returned as the resident host of The Nicky Chapman Suite. Looks like a U turn by Cellino. Welcome home Norman :)
Winner of the Europa League