Question for you all

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
alwaysleeds
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Question for you all

Post by alwaysleeds »

alwaysleeds wrote:
rigger wrote:In the light of the England team's new generation of young players bursting on to the scene (hopefully) at this World Cup, I think the vast majority of the fans and even the media will give them an easier ride if we fail to get out of the group.
If we play the likes of Sterling, Barklay, Wilshere and Shaw and we crash out, nobody can have a go at them or Hodgson because he's done what everyone wanted.

Now, translate that to Leeds for a moment.
How would you feel if Cellino decided to concentrate on our reasonably productive academy and ask the new coach to blood a number of homegrown players for a couple of years ?
Would you be happy to see that happen, given that it would obviously take us longer to challenge for promotion ?
Or would you prefer to spend big on fees and contracts and get out of the division in the more mercenary manner ?

Honestly after spending so long down here, I don't think another three years would make much difference and a team containing Mowatt, Dawson, Poleon, Killock, Walters and Thompson winning promotion would be so much more satisfying.

What do you think ?
To me it's obvious that we have to go more for the youngsters. If we look back and see the dominating teams the last 40 years; Leeds, Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester U - they were all built by players from the own youngsters. Of course, we also have to be even better to develop our younger teams - so we can produce even biggers stars. To me we perhaps need to buy some few solid players, players that will be dominant in the the team directly; and even give more youngsters some quality time on the field. Training develop players, games develop stars! :)

We have some really promising youngsters coming through the ranks; Isaac Assenso, Dan Atkinson, Tyla Bell, Liam Bennett, Luke Booker, Afolabi Coker, Lewis Cook, Lewie Coyle, Piteu Crouz, Tyler Denton, Brad Dixon, Jack Dyche, Munya Mbanje, Robbie McDaid, Frank Mulhern, Luke Parkin, Kalvin Phillips, Jake Skelton, Eoghan Stokes and Jack Vann. Along with the ones already in our squad; Tom Lees, Aidan White, Zac Thompson, Sam Byram, Dominic Poleon, Charlie Taylor, Chris Dawson, Ross Killock, Alex Mowatt and Lewis Walters. To me the future is looking bright, IF we just give them the chances they need. :)
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

If Cellino wants to do that he needs to keep our top quality training facilities at Thorp Arch.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

I don't actually think this is a question of choices at all. I am happy to see young players play for us in the Championship.....but only if they are good enough to compete! The question as posed almost suggests that by slinging a few kids into the team and let them play for 3 years they will become good players! This obviously isn't true. Sam Byram came into the team the season before last having not played for the first team and, because he was good enough he retained his place all season. He has had a set back this last season I would guess because of injuries although there are folk saying he is not actually a very good defender. I am not convinced either way. But the problem is that people do frequently just say "put the kids in".....I've heard them saying it about Dawson at games -"Why is he not starting every game" they ask...Cos he ain't good enough - that's why! So, if we have young players that are decent let's try them ....but if they prove to be not good enough in a few games (not a few years) they would have to make way for players who were! None of us is going to be happy watching our team fail to compete this season - whoever is in the team, and I do believe Cellino will at the least want us to compete, not be over run.