The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Yorkshire chairman, Roger Hutton, resigns.
Think several people will resign today. The clubs in a real mess & it’s going to take a lot of sorting out. I still hope Hutton will return once the waters are less choppy.
Looking in from the outside, it’s a right old mess is this, loads of sponsors pulling the plug, board members resigning and the clubs name dragged through the mud.

Sad affair.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Not looking good for Micheal Vaughan.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/form ... ts-1287618
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Yep administration is looming, sadly. Hutton gone who next Arthur, Moxon or Gale. Thought Hutton was the man to guide YCCC through these troubled times.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Not looking good for Micheal Vaughan.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/form ... ts-1287618
Dropped by Radio 5 Live.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
The Fonz
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by The Fonz »

Unlike Ballance Vaughan totally denies it from what I've read, seems one person's word against another.

Bit worrying to me that people can be accused of racism and are automatically guilty.
Not saying he did or didn't but it seems to throw the "innocent until proven guilty" system this country prides itself on out the window.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

I suspect that this is the tip of a very large iceberg and also Yorkshire CC will not be the only club that will be scrutinised. Whatever the excuses are we are seeing a level of moral bankruptcy in the past and, in the case of Yorkshire CC, it seems that attitude is continuing on. They have dug themselves a great big hole and until this morning, before the resignations started, seemed oblivious to it and looked as if they would continue digging. It is only when the sponsors started pulling out that something started stirring. I don't know if this is is a place from which Yorkshire CC can recover from in a hurry. Shocking state of affairs :shock:

The role of the ECB what they knew, what they did, what they are doing currently (knee jerks by the looks of things! :roll: ) and how they are going to deal with matters going forward is going to be very interesting.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The Fonz wrote:Unlike Ballance Vaughan totally denies it from what I've read, seems one person's word against another.

Bit worrying to me that people can be accused of racism and are automatically guilty.
Not saying he did or didn't but it seems to throw the "innocent until proven guilty" system this country prides itself on out the window.
The BBC have explained their decision to drop Vaughan from the Tuffers and Vaughan show on Monday, apparently, and that's absolutely fine I think, unless of course it's an indefinite 'drop' and he's never on again.

The alleged comment from MV is open to misinterpretation, if those are the words he actually used. Regardless, this should have been settled over a year ago, and that includes people like Ballance and MV and the resigning chairman properly sorting things out. The YCCC board are about as honest as BJ and his cabinet in my opinion, and they might well have overseen the death of our county's cricket club just for being ignorant and pigheaded.

Total disgrace.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I mean no offence by this, I am merely recalling a memory and asking a question.

50 years ago I remember sitting in my dad's car and him asking me who I wanted to play for sports-wise.
I said for football - Leeds United (obviously),
For Cricket - Yorkshire.

Bear in mind I was a 7/8 year old in Somerset who had only ever been to Yorkshire once (a journey over the Peak District to look down on Mordor-like Sheffield two years earlier).
I'll not deny that my reason for supporting both was that they were the best teams in their respective sports.

My dad said "Leeds would be good but Derbyshire would be the closest you could get to playing for Yorkshire. Yorkshire only play people who were born there."

That put me off the team from there on, and I got to know about the county I had just moved to..

This exclusivity continued until 1992 when Sachin Tendulker played.

My question is: do you think the current allegations/fiasco is rooted in the past?
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Andrew Gale next in the spotlight as YCCC are investigating a complaint against him over an anti-Semitic tweet when he was Yorkshire captain.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Sniffer wrote:I mean no offence by this, I am merely recalling a memory and asking a question.

50 years ago I remember sitting in my dad's car and him asking me who I wanted to play for sports-wise.
I said for football - Leeds United (obviously),
For Cricket - Yorkshire.

Bear in mind I was a 7/8 year old in Somerset who had only ever been to Yorkshire once (a journey over the Peak District to look down on Mordor-like Sheffield two years earlier).
I'll not deny that my reason for supporting both was that they were the best teams in their respective sports.

My dad said "Leeds would be good but Derbyshire would be the closest you could get to playing for Yorkshire. Yorkshire only play people who were born there."

That put me off the team from there on, and I got to know about the county I had just moved to..

This exclusivity continued until 1992 when Sachin Tendulker played.

My question is: do you think the current allegations/fiasco is rooted in the past?
Good point that Sniffer, I remember that now and used to think it must be detrimental to Yorkshire to only pick players who were born in the county and I never saw the bigger picture that you point out now.