Hockaday new Leeds United coach - NOW CONFIRMED

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
cotts1970
Giddy Kipper

Re: Hockaday new Leeds United coach - NOW CONFIRMED

Post by cotts1970 »

I am not a regular poster on the forum but i have met a large number of you on my travels with my son to games. I met today with a friend working in the football conference and we discussed the appointment of DH - he was told of the appointment early last week and was gobsmacked.

To say I am concerned is an understatement and that is why i felt the need to post.

Hockaday was firstly linked with Leeds because he knows a current director. And he is there because he is cheap! - i am told £3,000 per week (what were BM & NW on?)
I am also told he is sly and looking for a deal (think Neil Warnock) and although he wants to play total football IS NOT a very good coach (confirmed by another member of staff who worked with him at Watford FC) - as for the new assistant manager Junior Lewis - he is meant to be a great guy, but couldn't coach at the Ryman League level with Hendon and was a "very poor coach"

I know forums are full of people who know people, but these are people in the game - the reason for the delay in the appointment was following his interview a number of directors were unsure of his appointment instigated an enquiry into DH and were very unhappy with the appointment but it went ahead anyway.

And i also hear Ian Baird has been offered the matchday commentary job.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

cotts1970 wrote:...... And he is there because he is cheap! - i am told £3,000 per week......
Cheap!?? That's more than the prime minister's salary, FFS! :crazy:
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

I wonder which director Hockaday (allegedly) knows? Looking at the list, unless Hockaday is on nodding terms with the countess, which director is he likely to know. I'm concerned about Hockaday but it's still important to sort fact from fiction.

CLUB PATRON
Patricia, Countess of Harewood
PRESIDENT
Massimo Cellino
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Massimo Cellino
Edoardo Cellino
Ercole Cellino
Daniel Arty
Salah Nooruddin
Salem Patel
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Otherworld wrote:
cotts1970 wrote:...... And he is there because he is cheap! - i am told £3,000 per week......
Cheap!?? That's more than the prime minister's salary, FFS! :crazy:
I hope Hockaday fairs better than Tory Boy. :thumbup:
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Viduka95 »

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/article ... k7/start/4
What a dirty old man our new coach is! :lol:
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-6695845

The link above is to YEP's video interview with Hockaday at Thorpe Arch. It's a relaxed but in-depth piece, running about ten minutes with him before Luke Murphy gets a few questions put to him at the end that he deals with honestly and admirably IMHO. I like him a lot - he comes across as a grounded, grateful lad who's very aware of how lucky he is and he's also quite self-deprecating too.
As for Hockaday, he comes across as a straightforward sergeant-major type. I don't think he'll take any crap from the players. There's a veiled kind of reference to Ross at one point where it seems to me that he's saying he might well be gone soon, but see what you think - I might be reading too much into it.

There's a bit of management-speak but not much by current standards, but looking at the guy he looks like he follows his own discipline as he's in good shape for his age and I think it's important to set the right example like that.

All in all it's quite encouraging, I reckon ... all we need now is a few good signings and the return of the catering staff and we'll be laughing :D
Aidanbutterworth2
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Aidanbutterworth2 »

Some Hockaday positives...

Hockaday seems more determined, hungrier and driven than Warnock who has already part retired while at Leeds.

He seems to have more steel and maybe a touch more charisma than McDermott

Luke Murphy said the first day was good but then he kind of had to

I've come round..I am backing Hockaday. I love an underdog and would love it if he came good and proved a lot of people wrong - me included.
gilesdriveby
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by gilesdriveby »

Good interview with Hockday but he didn't say anything earthshattering. Interesting that Gibbs, carbone, Lewis, and Hockday all seem to have roles in the coaching setup, not to mention what Redfern and Naylor will be doing. Lot of coaches when club is supposed be tightening belts. Thorpe arch does look impressive. Hockday's line you only need a field and goal posts shows he's learnt his lines well!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I thought that showed he might be out of his depth actually. I think it made him look a bit parochial .. and I doubt he's the type to spend hours analysing OPTA stats either.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:I thought that showed he might be out of his depth actually. I think it made him look a bit parochial .. and I doubt he's the type to spend hours analysing OPTA stats either.
A little behind with the times or a little bit "old school."
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."