Current Squad Discussion

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Viduka95
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Current Squad Discussion

Post by Viduka95 »

Thought I'd make a Current Squad Discussion Topic as I couldn't find one and I had a question about Dom Poleon. Hopefully this topic will allow other members to discuss and raise questions about any player in our squad.
My question is does anyone recall Poleon being played in a RM/RW position? If not does anyone think it would he would be suitable to play in that position as we currently do not have a player who can play there?
@MrSkorecki Twitter
LEEDS, LEEDS, LEEDS!
stewpot01
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Re: Current Squad Discussion

Post by stewpot01 »

Viduka95 wrote:Thought I'd make a Current Squad Discussion Topic as I couldn't find one and I had a question about Dom Poleon. Hopefully this topic will allow other members to discuss and raise questions about any player in our squad.
My question is does anyone recall Poleon being played in a RM/RW position? If not does anyone think it would he would be suitable to play in that position as we currently do not have a player who can play there?
To answer the first part no I do not, which surprises me given the way BM messed around with players out of position. On the second part no again, but that's only because I don't think Poleon is up to championship standard let alone good enough for us, but until we can sign some decent forwards we are stuck with him.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I think Poleon has potential, especially with his raw physical attributes - however he's still very much a rough diamond that needs to be filed down. He's never been given a run of games, just the odd start and sub appearance here and there. He also rarely plays in his favoured position - striker, with him often being played out wide due to his pace. I don't think he could play as a RM but I think he could play as a right wide forward, in a Theo Walcott style manner. Not utilised as someone who takes a man on and whips in a cross or provides width, but someone who looks to exploit the space in behind and feeds off balls in behind, that get threaded through between the full back and centre back.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

SiMamu wrote: ....however he's still very much a rough diamond that needs to be filed down ...
Polished up, surely ?? :ugeek:
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

rigger wrote:
SiMamu wrote: ....however he's still very much a rough diamond that needs to be filed down ...
Polished up, surely ?? :ugeek:
Yes, that's the word! Spent a good five unsuccessful minutes trying to think of the right word.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I saw him play against Chesterfield in the cup and I thought he played really well, fast, skillfull, direct. He also scored a goal when he should have passed to Matt Smith, but that shows he's greedy which isn't a bad thing. From what I saw that match, he had bags full of potential, but I know others who don't think so and I only saw him for one match, so I'm not saying I'm right.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

How is Alex Mowatt's name pronounced? Is it like 'cow-at' or 'low-at'? I thought it was the latter, but a commentator on Sky Sports during one of our multiple games on Sky Sports last year pronounced his name in the former way, which has thrown me off and left me questioning everything.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

I'm pretty sure your world is still intact Si, and it is indeed Alex Mo-att. having a complete inability to pronounce any players name is a prerequisite of becoming a football commentator, regardless of the fact it's pretty essential to the job. Just ask incompetent Lawrenson. Or John 'Drogbaaaaaa' Motson.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Paddy, you've let yourself go a bit.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Overweight, yes, but that is a lovely pole he's wearing on his head.

He does look properly tubby - disconcertingly so.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’