The Italian Revolution. Your Thoughts.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The Italian Revolution. Your Thoughts.

Post by isrodger »

Pecky10 wrote:I couldn't really care what nationality players that come in are - being Italian doesn't make them any better than what we have per se; it's quality that's needed, not some pals for the manager ;)
Agreed - although I do believe the quality and age will mean IF they can adapt and settle they will be excellent acquisitions. That's a big IF by the way. My overriding concern is whichever way I look at it I can not for the life of me seeing hockaday being a success. We could have the man city squad, but with the wrong man in charge we could fail to move forward. I fear we could be Wolves post mccarthy pre Jackett. Let's hope I'm wrong. That said if Cellino delivers the ingredients for success in the players, a quick change of chef in October, might lead to successful season.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Lot of speculation at the moment, Watford with their influx of Italians didn't really set the world on fire. I'm very much on the fence at the moment with all things Leeds United, I'm going to need a lot of convincing that the new regime is right for us. Still way too many ifs and buts and monkey nuts for me at the club.
Winner of the Europa League
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I don't think it is going to be a quick fix with Cellino, he's in it for the long haul IMO. Last year we were near the play offs just after Christmas and just who have we lost player wise, that was cutting the mustard and a regular on the team? Michael Brown was starting towards the end of the season, but didn't play that much over the season, so ....... We basically have a similar squad who had us close to the play offs and with these few Italians, we just might see us being near a play off place again. It's a big ask, I think personally if we play far better football under Hock and Salerno and we are above mid table for most of this season, then it will take that. It is Cellinos plan to get us promoted in two or, three years from now and I can imagine some transfers in, will be a success, but others might not be.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

The 3 players quoted yesterday are a goalkeeper and apparently he's good from reports I've seen, a defensive midfielder who has played a number of times for Italys under 21's and a striker that can score goals.

If thay are replacements for Kenny, Brown and Morrison or Hunt I'm very positive the squad is improving significantly from last season. Not bothered what nationality they are we've loved many foreigners in the past going back to Albert Johanson.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

I think were going to be seeing a few new faces from the Italian leagues and possibly other continental sides over the next few months/ years up until Cellino is satisfied with our youth set up is ready to churn out more ready made youngsters.

We have a good set up already but in truth were lagging behind the top sides when it comes to attracting gifted young players from around the country, a lot want to join the premiership sides youth systems these days and our brand isn't as strong as it once was, the lower a club delves in its league the lower the produce that comes out of it, we need to find our feet as a club from the grassroots all the way up to that first team, no more selling players that have come in when 18 or 19 only to be sold at 23 for pittance, no more selling youth after one season breaking through to the first team squad, the damage that was done over those past ten years is what were addressing right now and its going to take time, so for now we will need to bring in some foreign players to give us that attraction for the younger kids to want to play for Leeds United again.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I think it's quite exciting. If there's a chance of Cellino repeating his success of keeping a relatively small, not well supported Italian team in Serie A, for 17 out of 22 years and awakening the sleeping giant, that is Leeds, then we just might be on the verge something special.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

Isn't our squad already full of foreigners? There's loads of them not born and bred in Yorkshire. :lol:
We're on our way to....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Don't forget Ross McC will be a foreigner if Alex Salmond becomes president later this year.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

To sum this up as briefly as possible, if they are better than the current crop, they could be from Jupiter for all I care.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Sheepy wrote:To sum this up as briefly as possible, if they are better than the current crop, they could be from Jupiter for all I care.
:lol: :thumbup: