Next Leeds United head coach discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Next Leeds United head coach discussions

Post by SG90 »

Sturm Graz were a club in turmoil when he joined them, whereas we're on the up and full of confidence at the moment, so there will be a huge difference.

I remember Sturm Graz made the UCL the same year we did 2000/1, so that was why I thought of them as the top dog in the country. I know Salzburg are the top team now due to the Red Bull takeover, haven't heard much of Rapid or Austria Vienna for a while now.
Gilford_NI_Whites
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Gilford_NI_Whites »

Whether he plays youth or not might not be up to him. Cellino might direct him to play the youth. So it's going to be hard to say what happens.

I'll reserve judgement until I see his team selections and tactics.

Here's hoping we stay in our current form...
darkside
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by darkside »

Selby White wrote:
darkside wrote:Believe me it´s a total Disaster. (other coaches got fired in the past LONG before a result like this finally happens).
Officially goal for the club is rank 1-4 (1 cl 2-4 europa league spot).
You have to understand austrian league (ok not especially know for its quality football ;) but anyway...)
The big 3 are Rapid, Austria and Sturm (they usually match for rank 1-3)
Now "thanks" (everybody hates them) to red bull, Salzburg also made it into the "top"
This means the clubs now have to battle for rank 2-4 (Because red bull burns about 50-100 millions in salzburg every year). But finishing past place 4 is simple unacceptable for a club like sturm graz, Rapid or "Austria" in austria.
Not sure your big 3 theory stacks up, Sturm Graz won the league in 2011 but other than that have only been in the top 3 on two occasions in the last 15 years. That was back in the 2000 & 2002 when both times they were runners up to Innsbruck (big 3 ?). The other 12 seasons their their finishing position has varied somewhere between 4th & 9th.
i would say 5th is an average season for them looking at that 15 year period.
Well sturm faced totally bankruptcy some years ago (sounds familliar? ;)
(the ex manager is now running around with a electronic tag around his foot from court to court "with a good chance to get imprissioned" very soon). So there have been some years with an absolutely minnimum budget (fighting for survival) because the club simple had absolutely NO money (and of course this showed up in the final results) But fact is Sturm graz has the second largest fan base (number one is rapid) in austria and "usually" the 3rd largest budget. (Number one is definitelly salzburg because of red bull)
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Some are rightly concerned about playing style. But I can remember a similar scenario when we last poached a big name manager from another club. He too had had success in the past but the fans of his present employers were turning against him. He was seen very much as a long ball manager, although he went on to explain it was a consequence, more of a lack of funding. The majority of those Leeds fans at the time probably favoured the appointment Howard Kendall rather than Wilkinson. The club had been in the doldrums prior to his appointment. Let's hope history is about to repeat itself.
Last edited by isrodger on 22 Sep 2014, 20:17, edited 1 time in total.
darkside

Post by darkside »

TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:Whatever has happened at Sturm Graz, or anywhere else, doesn't matter now. Milanic is at a completely different club, in a completely different league. He has a great squad to work with, and will be expected to have them playing attractive, winning football. If he doesn't, he's gone.
Hey as said i wish you (and your new trainer) luck.
My comments may give you the impression that i don´t.
But thats not true. (I just pointed out the failures your new trainer made at my club).
Not especially popular here (i know that because lets be serious who wants someone who "tries" to destroy any
hope everybody has in a new trainer)
Again don´t get me wrong i have nothing against milanic in personal it just draw my attention that there have been so much "wrong" reports about his preformance.
(I mean if you read the most comments you would think that this guy is the new Messiah because of an OLD statistic in slowenia). And fact is 90% of what the media reports about him simple did not happen in the last 1 and a quarter year.
darkside

Post by darkside »

Btw. to explain the oppinion of the sturm fans here on this board.
people where just stunned because NOBODY believed this when we first heard of this.
The common view was yeah SHUUUUURE an english team will buy our trainer at a moment we totally suck!
Then it was WTF? but nice for us.
Why does a team like leeds united buys (i mean you even paid money for him) a guy who couldn´t even manage to have sucess in the shitty (compared to england) Austrian league.
And the fact that EVERYBODY was allready calling for his head made this even more bizarre.
(Because lets face it this guy would have been fired in one of the next weeks anyway)
darkside

Post by darkside »

SG90 wrote:Sturm Graz were a club in turmoil when he joined them, whereas we're on the up and full of confidence at the moment, so there will be a huge difference.

I remember Sturm Graz made the UCL the same year we did 2000/1, so that was why I thought of them as the top dog in the country. I know Salzburg are the top team now due to the Red Bull takeover, haven't heard much of Rapid or Austria Vienna for a while now.
No wonder.
Austrian football lays in ruins right now.
(worst preformance on club level since about 15 years).
Last hope is the national team this year because at least they improved in the last years.
(+50 ranks).
So if we don´t qualify for the euro this time expect Austria burning down every single football stadium because we finally give up on football ;)
Lee
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Lee »

Has he arrived yet? Must be coming by bicycle.
July 26th 2013. The day Leeds United rid themselves of an odious git.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

He took training this morning and is signing his contract at ER this afternoon. [skysports]
Follow the cause not the leaders.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Emanuele Giulianelli ‏@EmaGiulianelli · 1h
+++ Still one hour and Milanic will sign. #lufc
They are talking. In one hour all should be ok. #lufc
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."