Red Bull takeover

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Red Bull takeover

Post by saintjimmy »

Aces wrote:
SiMamu wrote:So you'd be willing to lose the club's identity? I'd accept a stadium name change, but not the club's name being changed, nor any significant changes to the kit.
I'm not that fussed TBH, but I can understand why others would be.
With all this interest in British football teams from rich Americans makes you wonder if one day the PL would become a closed shop should they gain a strong foothold within our game, no relagations to protect their investment just keeping all the vast amounts of revenue from sponsorship and TV rights for themselves like they do over there, that would turn me away from the game forever.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: RED BULL / LEEDS UNITED

Post by Davycc »

Davycc wrote:
Aces wrote:
ELLAND1972 wrote:Has anyone else read this morning about RED BULL wanting to buy LEEDS UNITED.

Is this the good news we have been waiting for or will RED BULL want to change our name as they have done with many other clubs they have bought into and what if they want to change the shirt colour.For me I think it would be a good thing if they do go through with the sale.
I hope you are right, I don't care what they do as long as they bank roll us back to the premiership. They can re name the ground, the Red Bull stadium, it will still be ER to me. They can change the colour of our shirts, to Red, with Red spots, I ain't bothered and ...... They can change our teams name to ....... The Leeds Red Bullshitters. :lol:

Bring it on. :thumbup:
And I know your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek there......
I had hoped that you would have come back with something like " of course Davy, it's well planted in my cheek"

renaming ER I can barely live with, changing the team name to anything other than Leeds United AFC and changing our 1st strip to something other than white then I'm afraid I'd walk, sorry I know the argument "the Don did it etc" but this would feel different.

maybe i'm not through and through LUFC as much as I thought.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

I think you are Leeds thru and thru Davy, it's clear in your post above. I know what you are saying, but ....... You can't escape Leeds even if you tried, or wanted to, you are a Leeds fan forever mate.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Aces wrote:I think you are Leeds thru and thru Davy, it's clear in your post above. I know what you are saying, but ....... You can't escape Leeds even if you tried, or wanted to, you are a Leeds fan forever mate.
Aces, it's taken me a lot to come on here. My computer is in storage, together with my login password, whilst I'm between homes (lodging with your parents when your 50 is a hard work let me tell you, by the by). I sort of know what you're saying, mate, but I've seen it all happen for real with fans (friends) of Wimbledon. Who knows what a company like Red Bull would do for LUFC if they took over (which isn't on the cards at the moment, thankfully)? They might do nothing but plough money in to a great club and a great brand. Or they might think the brand they're really promoting is Red Bull (which, let's face it, it would be). And they might think than Chesterfield or Mansfield would be a better place to build the Red Bull LU brand. Don't take ANY ROUTE to get success. You may lose everything. Just saying.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Like I've said snifter I can fully understand how fans of other clubs like Hull and Cardiff for two are incensed over proposed name changes and kit colour change, but ...... For me personally it's not that important to me. I'm not saying that I don't think it's wrong, it is, but for me I want success for my Leeds and I'm ok with practically anything, just to get it.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
john stubbs
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by john stubbs »

First I have heard of a Red Bull Takeover. If they did, as far as I am concerned they can change anything they like except move from Leeds. Whatever they call the team, the ground, the shirts. The team will always be leeds- hopefully in the Premier and Europe
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Do you really think Cellino would want to sell, I don't. So unless its a contingency should the football league force him out, its more likely just sponsorship.

The stadium, maybe renaming ER is one option, but maybe a move is another option? A move to a site where a stadium & training ground could be built would be better appeal to anyone wanting to name a stadium.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Nic wrote:Do you really think Cellino would want to sell, I don't. So unless its a contingency should the football league force him out, its more likely just sponsorship.

The stadium, maybe renaming ER is one option, but maybe a move is another option? A move to a site where a stadium & training ground could be built would be better appeal to anyone wanting to name a stadium.

I must protest at this idea! I don't like this at all, I love the fact that we play at Elland Road and not the bloomin' 'Commercial Logo' Stadium.There is lots of space at and around Elland Road to redevelop the stadium and provide a training ground, there's a massive space that is just a tatty car park. Parking can be relocated. - Make 'em walk!!

Saying that Derby is now playing at the ipro stadium (FFS) but everyone still calls it Pride Park. :shh: :shock:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

No way Jose would I accept a move away from ER. The ground is our spiritual home & so it's a massive no from me to the thought of moving to a flat pack stadium.
Winner of the Europa League
Ricardo Da Lepp
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Ricardo Da Lepp »

The financial backing would be good but they haven't been well received in Germany where they own a side in Leipzig, also in the second tier of the league system.

Rules on advertising in team names meant that they couldn't call the team Red Bull Leipzig but by acquiring the team "RasenBallsport" Leipzig they can still be branded as RB Leipzig - a thinly disguised method of getting around the problematic rule. Their ground is now the Red Bull Arena too.

There was a good article on this in When Saturday Comes a few months ago. It seems that Red Bull's ownership has been somewhat at odds with the football authorities and supporters in general, with protests about their involvement in the sport being reasonably high profile, and not just from Leipzig supporters.