Red Bull takeover

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Red Bull takeover

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Went for a bike ride through the New Forest this morning with one of my oldest friends, a massive Saints fan.

He asked what the heckity heck had been going on this week and I explained how many of us feel about Red Bull's rebranding, etc.

He actually made me think.
For a bit of red on an all white kit he says we're making too much of a fuss.
He reminded me of when Liebherr took over his club and after a year or two, adidas became the shirt sponsor and they brought out an all red strip with white pinstripes. The fans hated it, but sucked it down knowing it was the best kit deal they'd had for years and largely it was brokered because of Herr L's international standing in the business world. They complained, of course, and the board listened and reinstated the stripes the following season.
He said he could see something similar with us and Red Bull if it ever goes through, citing the fact we'd be by far the biggest name they've been involved with till now.

It might all be a moot point now anyway, judging on some of the posts above, but it is worth considering I suppose ...
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Costy wrote:
Frankie wrote:
I would rather us stay where we are with, like you say a club run with integrity and care and respect for the club's traditons, the fans and what the club means to the local area; than become a Man' City or a Chelski or an Arsenal. There is nothing wrong with the Football League, it is a 'nicer' form of football, in fact thelower down you get, the purer it seems to become. The Premiership is a place where money rules the roost and many of the players are arrogant, overpaid and totally money orientated.
Frankie, I have total respect for your view but agree with so little of it. What is all that based on? Emotional response I would say. I'm sorry, but our football seemed a lot purer to me up to and in the season of the champions league run than at any time in the last ten years in league one and the championship. If the lower leagues are so great, why do so few watch them compared to the billions worldwide who watch the elite? I want to get back there and see all that again. And however it's done, our history will not be erased - that is literally impossible. Everything that has gone on with the club in the past will still exist in people's memories and the record books, just like any other aspect of history. By the way, the owners of man city have done a huge amount for the local area so who's to say that wouldn't happen to us? I just feel like some people think that change is automatically a bad thing; shouldn't we just wait and see?
On the footballers pay thing, this is an argument I've had with my wife many a time and one I'm never likely to win, but I feel like players get a terrible and undeserved rap here. If my pay suddenly rocketed I would not say 'no way, don't pay me that' - nobody would. Being paid a huge salary doesn't make you a bad person yet footballers as a group are given that label so often. Why? There are good and bad people in every profession and walk of life. Many players do lots of charitable work and so on that never gets recognised because it's not as good a story as the latest transfer debate or nightclub scandal. I honestly feel that on the whole they are, indeed have to be, a very dedicated and professional bunch who possess a skill set that millions aspire to and yet only a tiny fraction reach, and that sadly the occasional selfish or unsavoury actions of a few tarnish the image of them all.
Sorry, bit of a rant that!
Yes it is an emotional response, but football is all about emotion isn't it? I take what you say, but I would also add that football has changed enormously even since the days of us being in Europe, which, yes it was a glorious time, but we now know that it was only possible, becuase Ridsdale and co, spent money they didn't really have and now we are still suffering the consequences.

As for people more people watching the Champions League etc....Yes that is probably true and yes you can watch some of the top players and the best football, but at an enormous price!.... I will point out that IMHO, we live in an age where celebrity worship is at an all time high and our values are more skewed than ever.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I'm going in on Monday to be placed in a cryogenic deep freeze with strict instructions not to be woken until all issued at LUFC are sorted. Looking forward to seeing how humanity mastered perpetual motion and time travel when I wake up.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:I'm going in on Monday to be placed in a cryogenic deep freeze with strict instructions not to be woken until all issued at LUFC are sorted. Looking forward to seeing how humanity mastered perpetual motion and time travel when I wake up.
The cryogenic deep freeze facility MUST be at Giants Causeway. Its the only place cold enough to keep from defrosting if the generators break down.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:I'm going in on Monday to be placed in a cryogenic deep freeze with strict instructions not to be woken until all issued at LUFC are sorted. Looking forward to seeing how humanity mastered perpetual motion and time travel when I wake up.
The cryogenic deep freeze facility MUST be at Giants Causeway. Its the only place cold enough to keep from defrosting if the generators break down.
very close john it's actually at Portrush East Strand as there are 2 benefits

1 It's cold enough all year round not to need engineering
2 When you come out you automatically have an american accent like Graeme McDowell
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:
johnh wrote:
very close john it's actually at Portrush East Strand as there are 2 benefits

1 It's cold enough all year round not to need engineering
2 When you come out you automatically have an american accent like Graeme McDowell
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

johnh wrote:I am not sure that this would be the answer to all our prayers. Most, if not all, the 'big money' clubs are owned by very rich INDIVIDUALS, who are willing to lay out zillions for a big ego trip. Red Bull are a business and any investment in a football club would be within Corporate fiscal disciplines. There would be objectives set and budgets allocated but certainly no 'splash the cash' approach. It is, perhaps, not surprising that the other football clubs they own are not particularly famous for their success and begs the question 'why are they doing it'?
This was my view when this thread started and my view hasn't changed. I don't think this is the answer to all our prayers.
ATBL
Giddy Kipper

Post by ATBL »

Personally, I'm not too worried about the possibility of Red Bull taking over. Firstly, they couldn't be any worse than what we have now! (although I remember justifying Cellino to myself with that...) and secondly, they don't seem to mess about with the footballing side too much, RB Leipzig have won 2 or 3 back to back promotions to get into the German 2nd div.

I think the big question is exactly what they would change. Sure, the rest of the football world would probably get angry at us if RB took over, but who out there doesnt hate us already? ;)

Stadium -> Probably the easiest to do, renaming ER to 'Red Bull Arena' or something. I honestly wouldn't mind too much, it'll always be ER to me, regardless of whats on the wall
Kit -> again, pretty easy for them to change. Fortunately RB colours are white and red so it would in all likelihood be a white shirt with red trim, which could either look ok or just terrible. It really depends on the design and just how much Red Bull stuff they would plaster everywhere. (Although I did see this mockup Image which actually looked okayish, that said I doubt it would be Red Bull changing to blue/yellow rather than the other way round)
Logo -> A nono from me, especially if the newone was covered in bulls
Name -> Again a huge nono, doubt it would happen though, if Hull can't even change to Hull Tigers then what are the odds on Leeds United FC changing to Red Bull Leeds? That said, the football league would decide.....
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

From what peopl are saying it would basically be like being sponsored by red bull and the stadium name changing. Who cares?!! It will always be elland road no matter what it's officially called. I used to be on the cellino bandwagon, but the events of the past few days have really confirmed some of the bad stuff people were saying about him.
I hope this happens before too much damage is done
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Two things:

- I doubt the shirt would be allowed to look like that, with the modified RB logo on it. Despite there being no actually lettering, it's still demonstrably a famous brand. I mean, you could put the Shell logo on there and although it wouldn't actually have the word on there, it would still undeniably be instantly recognisable around the world.

- The FA/FL have thus far knocked back the proposed change to Hull's name. Although it's being appealed again, I sincerely hope they don't allow it to happen but this is a case we need to keep an eye on.