Red Bull takeover

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 130

Re: Red Bull takeover

Post by Deleted User 130 »

phil62 wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:Phil62, that's your opinion, there is no need to basically ridicule fellow Leeds fans about it. Some fans feel very strongly about the possibility of kit changes, name changes, the erasing of history, the lack of community spirit at a club... all possibilities with a company like Red Bull. Each to their own, depends what you want out of football and what you love about LUFC so much that you would object to attempts to take it away.
I was not ridiculing anybody, you are perfectly entitled to stand up for those traditions but I don't think (imo in case you are offended) that those things are so important these days. And why is history erased for gods sake? It's not as if we have the same badge we have always had. It is well known Leeds played in blue and gold until the Revie era. Things change. It's still Leeds United. I don't understand the resistance to change if it brings success on the pitch, kudos to the city of Leeds and better quality football to watch. I'm happy to agree to disagree by the way - certainly no offence intended.
hi Phil, your comment 'God forbid Red Bull should come in, invest in some better players, develop the stadium, get us competing in the premier league again - that would be terrible wouldn't it.' was sarcastic mate and that's why I said I thought you were ridiculing. A badge isn't history. What Red Bull try to do is - and they have said this, probably not verbatim - that as soon as they take over a club, it is 'year zero', etc. A link I posted above describes their ways much more clearly.

Fair enough, disagree but it doesn't need to be provocative.
Deleted User 130

And the kit change by Don Revie wasn't just because he admired Real Madrid, plus it was not influenced by any corporate agenda, nor did it involve the colour red :P
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

It's ok because we were good in the seventies or something. Keep reminding people of that while we 'rebuild' every season for another two decades
Deleted User 130

ben87 wrote:It's ok because we were good in the seventies or something. Keep reminding people of that while we 'rebuild' every season for another two decades
If I've understood your comment Ben, and that you were born in 1987, then I can also understand why the club's achievements before you were born don't really seem that important as they're not part of your history. Plus if you were born in 87 you might not even be able to remember the last time we won silverware. Promotion from div 3 was great, and what made it better was the fact that the manager and some of the players, and ones like Andy Hughes, loved the club already or since joining. If someone like Red Buill takes over then there will only be mercenary players on show, without soul and withot attachment to the supporters.

Maybe loads and loads of Leeds fans, most of them your age bracket, just want to see success bought. I don't blame them, it's just not for me. Look at Man City, what a wreck of a club that is now, can't even fill the stadium most of the time. Soulless, just like man u, just like Chelsea, Munich, Madrid.

By the way, we were a bloody great team in the 60s as well, not that Red Bull would acknowledge it for long.
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
ben87 wrote:It's ok because we were good in the seventies or something. Keep reminding people of that while we 'rebuild' every season for another two decades
If I've understood your comment Ben, and that you were born in 1987, then I can also understand why the club's achievements before you were born don't really seem that important as they're not part of your history. Plus if you were born in 87 you might not even be able to remember the last time we won silverware. Promotion from div 3 was great, and what made it better was the fact that the manager and some of the players, and ones like Andy Hughes, loved the club already or since joining. If someone like Red Buill takes over then there will only be mercenary players on show, without soul and withot attachment to the supporters.

Maybe loads and loads of Leeds fans, most of them your age bracket, just want to see success bought. I don't blame them, it's just not for me. Look at Man City, what a wreck of a club that is now, can't even fill the stadium most of the time. Soulless, just like man u, just like Chelsea, Munich, Madrid.

By the way, we were a bloody great team in the 60s as well, not that Red Bull would acknowledge it for long.
I'd prefer if we could just be run by owners who have the clubs best interest at heart. I think now in modern football you need a ton of cash to be successful, look at every European league, the same few rich clubs win every year. In an ideal world it would be all about bringing through youth and winning through making a good team from scratch. It's just not like that anymore. Unless something changes we will be domed to eternal mediocrity.

Btw I'm not having a dig at you either, I prefer the idea of LLP over red bull or cellino, and if anything ever came of it, you could count on me for donations :thumbup:
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Ok this is a story which is written by a Leeds fan in Australia for the Newcastle Herald (I live in Newcastle NSW)

linky thing - http://www.theherald.com.au/story/30135 ... gs/?cs=306

Leeds are mentioned in the article but it also mentions my team in Australia and as it mentions Red Bull i'm putting it in this thread.

For those who can't be bothered to go through the link here is what this guy had to say -

REPORTS emerged last week that energy drink giant Red Bull was in the market for another football club, to go along with the New York Red Bulls, Red Bull Salzburg, RB Leipzig and Red Bull Brasil.

The organisation is linked to a £60million takeover of struggling English Championship club Leeds United, which has been on a financial precipice for years.

The comparisons between Leeds United and the Newcastle Jets are many, and as a Leeds fan, I know the troubles all too well.

Leeds is owned by Massimo Cellino, a millionaire, some say billionaire, who has faced corruption inquiries and tax problems, not unlike those faced by Jets owner Nathan Tinkler.

Cellino has sacked players mercilessly, one reportedly due to the fact he wore No.17 on his back, Cellino’s unlucky number, and he’s dismissed three coaches this season. Manager Neil Redfearn is also on the chopping block.

Leeds supporters have seen the club repeatedly underwhelm, with the quality of their squad evidence of their financial position.

Star players have been moved on and the money made hasn’t filtered into replacements. The club has been hemorrhaging money for years.

The English Football League has ruled Cellino is unfit to own the club after being convicted of tax fraud, which has led the Italian to entertain offers to sell, with Red Bull reportedly close to signing.

But I think their money could be better spent on our shores – £60million to land Leeds or they could land the Jets for nearly $6million.

Call me crazy (some of you will) but how many other offers would be on the table? Dundee United has held discussions, but whispers are that talks aren’t advanced.

From a business standpoint, it’s a pretty good opportunity for Red Bull as well.

The Jets already carry their colour scheme – red, blue and gold – and I’m already seeing numerous cross-promotion opportunities in the Jets name, given the energy drink also owns the Red Bull X-Fighters, in which Novocastrian Matt Hall races.

If it did want to change the name, to say Newcastle Red Bulls, I don’t see fans objecting.

The Hunter market also gives the brand a strong youth demographic, where their products are targeted, and with the region thriving on a love of extreme sports – a market that Red Bull practically runs these days – I’d say it’s a match made in heaven.

There might be questions about an energy drink maker owning a sports team – but we are now owned by a coal baron.

An alternative could be Football Federation Australia claiming ownership, but chief executive David Gallop has said the league doesn’t want to run a club, and its coffers only run so deep.

History shows there wouldn’t be significant cash on offer and the FFA may have more than just the Jets putting their hand out, with other clubs struggling to remain financially viable.

Ownership from a company such as Red Bull comes with pluses.

The Jets could tap into the group’s clubs all over the globe but the benefits will trickle to our underappreciated region that’s in need of an energy boost.

The brand has shown its desire to win and have put millions into the MLS franchise, securing Thierry Henry and our own Tim Cahill for the New York club in recent years.

Red Bull’s vast interest across world football could prove a sticking point in its attempt to secure Leeds United. European footballing governors UEFA have limited the number of clubs that any organisation can own on the continent.

It’s not an issue in Australia, and although history shows foreign ownership has mixed results here, the acquisition of Melbourne Heart by Manchester City has been positive.

Let’s get them to Newcastle and show them around.

How can they not fall in love with this city? A local hotel tour would be enough to convince them to sign. Vodka Red Bulls sell at a rate of knots every Friday and Saturday night.

Jokes aside, a buyer such as Red Bull doesn’t come knocking every day of the week.

Such a move may not just give football in the region wings, but it will give it a heartbeat once again.

Call it fantasy, but you know where to find me for my finder’s fee.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Deebo »

"....underappreciated region that's in need of an energy boost"

I see what he did there. He manages to fit in quite a few Red Bull puns.

He makes a good point. Resistance to changing team names, colours, stadiums names in non-existent here in Australia.

Can't see it happening though, sorry Marcus! ;)
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Deebo wrote:"....underappreciated region that's in need of an energy boost"

I see what he did there. He manages to fit in quite a few Red Bull puns.

He makes a good point. Resistance to changing team names, colours, stadiums names in non-existent here in Australia.

Can't see it happening though, sorry Marcus! ;)
Yeah I know but we can only dream (for Newcastle i mean), new owner, coach etc is very much needed. We have already changed our colours once since the A League has started from gold to Blue/Red, some fans did voice their displeasure and refused to wear the new colours and kept wearing the gold or white (away strip) but like you say most people just accept it and move on, by the way I do still wear a gold shirt for home games :shh: .
For Leeds I can't see it happening, too many people would be up in arms if there was a name change/team colours etc and of course would the league allow it?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:

Sorry pal you can not name one club that hsdn't bought success to a degree. The most successful clubs are invariably the wealthiest. Even our great side was enhanced with a striker we paid a British record transfer fee for. I'm sorry, but we need somebody or some group that is respectful, but loaded & I actually can not see anything wrong with how the man city owners have conducted themselves. It's either major investment or wallow in the second and third tiers of English football eventually becoming a wolves, Preston, huddersield, burnley, Wednesday.
Deleted User 130

Not sure what your point is.