Red Bull takeover

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2299

Re: Red Bull takeover

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Not sure what your point is.

I think his point is where you said "it's just not for me. Look at Man City, what a wreck of a club that is now, can't even fill the stadium most of the time. Soulless, just like man u, just like Chelsea, Munich, Madrid". Most of their fans if not all wouldn't agree with you and are very happy how their clubs are being run now. I would also agree with them and wished we had such owners.

Football has changed and money brings success. it isn't guaranteed success but unless you have it your not even in for a chance. Leeds cant even fight off teams like Norwich for our better players because money talks!

Next year I think the parachute payments are hundred million? Teams like Fulham can be relegated and buy our proven championship players, leaving us with the same crappy battles we have faced for the last 15+ years.

I'm not saying Red Bull are ideal but for me I would have them over what we have and had in recent years.

Football has changed and that's something we cant change, its a fact of life. We need to accept the fact and move on or be left behind just making the numbers up while wishing things were different.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Right, I see.

Just because buying success is the general way doesn't mean it is impossible to achieve success on lower budgets. No disrespect but the comparison to Leeds of the 1960s when they spent heavily (after finally winning silverware with the League Cup) isn't really relevant. Don Revie was allowed to make a few big signings in his 13 year tenure, but we're not talking filling the squad with expensive new transfers.

Howard Wilkinson was given more financial power, and he bought very wisely indeed, not just with Vinnie and Strachan and Chapman, but 'lesser', cheaper signings who proved invaluable, plus he had a few great youngsters at his disposal as well.

I've tried to be respectful to Red Bull fans. Someone else posted 'be careful what you wish for' and I respect that as well. Ultimately, it seems to me to be a potential choice we the fans might have, a Quick Fix scenario versus a steady and sensible strategy, which Wilkinson had (he always said we won the League a year (I think it was a year) early :D ).

With Quick Fix solutions along the Red Bull way specifically, the club and team will lose its soul, but I appreciate that some people don't really care about that sort of thing. I do, and I see soulless clubs ruling football here now and frankly I couldn't give a toss about them anymore. Wilko proved it can be done, spending a lot but spending it wisely and investing in the future ie the Academy and Thorp Arch. Red Bull openly aim to promote their product by buying success (cleverly of course) but they do it THEIR way and they don't respect or care the true fans like us who have supported the club for years and years. They 'reinvent' clubs... good for them, but I don't need Leeds United to be reinvented and I don't want the history to be disregarded, which is what Red Bull certainly have tried to do with their footie clubs).
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Leeds Fans LLP @LeedsFansLLP
.@richardcrabb Interesting. We've met several parties more capable than Red Bull ready to partner with fans. Hope you invest. Dylan

Leeds Fans LLP @LeedsFansLLP
.@gt822 If Cellino wins his court cases 5th & 23rd June & the rule K hearing then he'll probably stay if not he'll probably sell. Dylan
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

As requested, here's some more info on Bristol City - something I posted from just before the start of this season:
Bristol City are one of the richest clubs outside the Premiership.

Their owner has a massive vision for the future of the city, let alone the football club. He's already brought the basketball and rugby teams under his umbrella, bought a state-of-the-art coach for any of the Bristol teams to use, upgraded the training facilities, rebuilt one stand with another next summer and produced the new kit for Bristol City in-house, under the name "Bristol Sports".
Luckily he didn't create a "BS" logo to go with it :D
I know Rovers are keen to steer clear of him, but their own position's been weakened by dropping out of the league.
Having said that, I can't imagine either set of fans would want to even consider the possibility of a merger. Sharing a new stadium would be one thing - and very progressive - but not the team itself.

Anyway, the fella is LOADED and I'm sure they'll be promoted this season.
The owner is Steve Lansdown and a very rich man indeed.
He's very much interested in the whole "safe standing seats" idea and I think has installed them in parts of Ashton Gate with a view to trialing them during rugby matches. I could be wrong on the details, but I know they were the first club to say "We'll do it !" when the government actually agreed to look into it all. Given Lansdown's finances and progressive vision for sport in the west country, he seems like the ideal man to push the whole thing forward.

It's a bit like with Bournemouth: nobody's exactly sure how much money the owners will make available, but you get the feeling that both clubs could be another Southampton in that they're extremely prudent, keep their cards close to their chest, yet have a long-term plan and back their managers with proper funding.
Southampton are a different kettle of fish given the excellence of their academy, which was established many years ago but both Bristol City and AFCB have decent youth set-ups with a number of players coming through every year (a bit like we do, of course).
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

My point was referring to "Look at Man City, what a wreck of a club that is now, can't even fill the stadium most of the time. Soulless, just like man u, just like Chelsea, Munich, Madrid."

So the 3 most successful teams in the land are soulless as is the biggest club on the planet. Well sorry I would sell my soul to watch ronaldo and bale rather than continuing to see us struggle to compete with rochdale :wtf: I honestly don't see how you can call city a wreck when they are the most positively transformed club on the planet. Actually we are just the opposite!
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

In regards to a Red Bull takeover, we all have different views on this and the facts are, they haven't taken over yet. If they do, then I'm sure there will be plenty more posts, against it, for it etc, but ...... They will do what they want and there's little, or nothing we can do about it. There could be protests, there could be lots of fans leaving, there could be other things, but ..... Red Bull owning us, should it happen wil be what it will be.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 130

isrodger wrote:
My point was referring to "Look at Man City, what a wreck of a club that is now, can't even fill the stadium most of the time. Soulless, just like man u, just like Chelsea, Munich, Madrid."

So the 3 most successful teams in the land are soulless as is the biggest club on the planet. Well sorry I would sell my soul to watch ronaldo and bale rather than continuing to see us struggle to compete with rochdale :wtf: I honestly don't see how you can call city a wreck when they are the most positively transformed club on the planet. Actually we are just the opposite!
You'd sell your soul, I won't be, I can live with that.

Man City - how many home-grown players do they have in the team? The club has been poor this season and they can't even sell out Champions League games. I've explained in posts above why I don't want the likes of Red Bull here, I'm not sure why you're spending time picking fault with my viewpoint.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Because it's a debate isn't it?
Watching top class players play top class football, both for and against their team , with maybe the odd bit of success thrown in, is, I would imagine, the wish of the vast majority of football fans. Leeds fans born in the last 15-20 years haven't seen this. I have and want to see it again, but it seems a million miles away for us at the moment unless there's a pretty big change. So resistance by some fans and fan groups against changes which might help bring it about because of worries about tradition, history soul selling etc could be seen by other fans as potentially getting in the way of what they want to see in the future. Which is why Isrodger is picking faults in your viewpoint I suppose.
Deleted User 130

It's more a party (partly) political broadcast than a debate :P, and the original comment was over a week ago. I've expressed my POV, I'm not trying to out argue anyone.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Is this a five minute argument or the full half-hour ??