Neil Redfearn appointed new head coach

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Neil Redfearn appointed new head coach

Post by SiMamu »

I think he wants someone who has been promoted to the premier league in the past, so maybe Aidy Boothroyd?
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

I know that Richard Naylor would be a popular choice with many, but personally I would love too see former player Andy Hughes in the position. He still has an unbelievable passion for LUFC.
We're on our way to....
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

@LeeSobotYEP: Reports in Huddersfield suggesting Steve Thompson could be in the #lufc dugout in time for Saturday's visit of Derby as Redders' no 2. #lufc
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay ‏@PhilHayYEP · 10m10 minutes ago
Leeds still trying to appoint Steve Thompson as Redfearn's assistant. Huddersfield want compensation for him. #lufc
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay @PhilHayYEP
· 4h 4 hours ago
I gather that Steve Thompson's move to Leeds as assistant boss now looks like it will happen. Progress in the last 24 hours. #lufc
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

He needs a assistant.
I like redders, he's the guy we all wanted, but the results have been poor lately and I don't want him getting sacked. Sometimes I think he has too much of a soft spot for his youngsters, no doubt Cook and Mowatt are good, but they need to be rotated with Sloth and Austin
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I hate to say it, but we're slipping into the same old mistake of never changing the team made by all of Redders' predecessors.
No rotation means:
1 - tactically predictable
2 - easy to play against if scouted
3 - unable to be pro-active in our approach (esp when we go a goal down as we frequently do - often the reason why is because of 1 and 2)
4 - complacency in the first team
5 - fatigue in the first team
6 - lack of sharpness/match fitness within the rest of the squad
7 - despondency/resentment within the rest of the squad

Having said all that, like someone else pointed out it is early days still for Redfearn.
He's sure to rotate the players next time out even if he's "told" to retain the same diamond shape from above. I hope not. I hope Cellino can see that occasionally you need to adapt. I actually think we have our strongest squad in years already in place but if you try to play a system first without signing the players to fit it, you're doomed to fail in my eyes. You should always adapt your tactics to the squad to ensure they can "wear it" and over time bring in players that let you adapt that tactical framework and give you more options.

If you play the same way game after game in FM you're gonna end up getting sacked because the AI of the game will work out what to do after three or four games. Real life is even harsher. I don't know when we play Blackpool but that game will be a good marker for us - worst team in the division by a seaside mile ... let's see if they've scouted us and can work out our tactics, eh ?
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Phil Hay @PhilHayYEP · 3m 3 minutes ago
Unless we get a late spanner in the works, Steve Thompson should become Leeds United's new assistant boss in the next 24 hours. #lufc
Thompson's contract is likely to run until the end of this season with the option of a second year, the same deal as Redfearn's holds. #lufc
It's taken over a month and a half...
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

About time....
Winner of the Europa League
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

Not happy about this one. His name's not exotic enough.