Are we watching our best side since relegation?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Are we watching our best side since relegation?

Post by isrodger »

Little poser for you guys - is this our best team since relegation? In terms of league position and probably ability, Graysons side in 2011 is arguably our best side - for the purposes of our debate I use that team in fact the team that featured against Norwich in the 2-2 draw @ Elland road for comparison purposes. I have attempted to put them in the best like for like formations.

Schmeical
Lichaij, Bruce, Obrien,McCartney
Kilkenny, Johnson, Howson
Gradel, Bechio, Snodgrass

Subs Higgs, Paynter, Sam, Somma, McCormack, Parker, Bromby

How does this match up to our side that beat derby

Silvestri, 
Byram, Cooper, Bellusci, Warnock, 
Cook, Bianchi, Mowatt, 
Adryan, Antanucci , Doukara. 

Subs Taylor, Berardi, Pearce, Tonge, Dawson, Austin, Sharp. 

For the purposes of fairness I think it's important we rate the players at this/that moment in time. Obrien was decent at the back, McCormack on the bench (he didn't come on  vs Norwich) was inferior when given game time to Somma or Sharp of the present. Equally whilst clearly Byram, Cook, Mowatt and Adryan have the potential to play at a level above that any of he others have played - it's important we judge those players on their ability now or then.

My view - looking at the 5 departments. I favour Silvestri over Schmeical - Just. Our present back four is far superior; I wouldn't put any of Graysons back 4 in our present team. Midfield - is a very tough one I would call it a draw. Johnson and Mowatt are very much like for like although Johnson ended up playing deeper. Cook is a fantastic holding player I really think he will follow in Delph and Milners footsteps, but Howson was in his pomp at that point in time, whilst I favour Bianchi over Kilkenny. Upfront - whilst Adryan has the potential to be almost a one man team, the Snodgrass, Bechio, Gradel combination wins hands down. As for the bench I would say we are much stronger now. Sharp is an equal to Somma & McCormack (as was) Berardi, Pearce, Austin - would arguably get in the 2011 side.

The thing that should encourages us about this side should get better next season. Doukoura, for me is an enigma, potentially Wilfred Boney or Michael Ricketts! He could proove an equal to Bechio, and don't forget we still have the legend Steve Morrison, a better player than bechio in some peoples opinion!

One final positive is 6 months before; Grayson bought Clayton saying there was no up and coming talent in the pipeline - presently we have Dawson, Del Fabro, Montenegro and others who may be ready in 12 months time - My overall view the futures bright the futures white.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Re: Are we watching our best side since relegation?

Post by Aces »

I think if we had Snodgrass and Gradel in this current team, we would storm this league. I wouldn't want any of the others, I think Mowatt and Cook are just going to get better and better and I rate them as good as Howson and Johnson already. I agree about the back four, I wouldn't swap any for what we have now and Silvestri has been brilliant so far. Antenucci and Adryan are top quality IMO.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

It is a great question as I have heard many people exclaim (even me actually) that thsi is the best side we have had for many years. I am not a great fan of comparing players past and present - there is always the tendency to generalise over the assessment of a player - Becchio for instance scroed so many goals for us that he must have been a top player yet many of us were frustrated by his lack of pace and poor ability to challenge for the ball. Similarly with McCormack - he could be dynamite one game and then useless the next! But interesting comparison with the team you picked out. I think one thing we can say is that the squad we have now, if we can keep it together, may well grow into a formidable side.
JINJER
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by JINJER »

dlw10 wrote:It is a great question as I have heard many people exclaim (even me actually) that thsi is the best side we have had for many years. I am not a great fan of comparing players past and present - there is always the tendency to generalise over the assessment of a player - Becchio for instance scroed so many goals for us that he must have been a top player yet many of us were frustrated by his lack of pace and poor ability to challenge for the ball. Similarly with McCormack - he could be dynamite one game and then useless the next! But interesting comparison with the team you picked out. I think one thing we can say is that the squad we have now, if we can keep it together, may well grow into a formidable side.
One capable of promotion?
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

JINJER wrote:
dlw10 wrote:It is a great question as I have heard many people exclaim (even me actually) that thsi is the best side we have had for many years. I am not a great fan of comparing players past and present - there is always the tendency to generalise over the assessment of a player - Becchio for instance scroed so many goals for us that he must have been a top player yet many of us were frustrated by his lack of pace and poor ability to challenge for the ball. Similarly with McCormack - he could be dynamite one game and then useless the next! But interesting comparison with the team you picked out. I think one thing we can say is that the squad we have now, if we can keep it together, may well grow into a formidable side.
One capable of promotion?
Yes, absolutley no doubt. In sheer footballing terms we are a match for any side. BUT as we all know we make too many mistakes and that may just be because we are a young side and still no experienced enough. Hence, if we can but just keep the squad together it should grow and mature. Even now, as we saw last Saturday, with the rub of the green we can beat the so called best in class. Doing that regularly will in turn build confidence and hopefully eradicate those costly errors. I keep looking for that turning point in our playing fortunes and until 5pm on Saturday I am happy to believe Derby was it!
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

The Achilles heel of all Grayson squads was the poor defences. We were also a bit unlucky in the fact that Kisnorbo picked up a bad injury and Naylor had a bad back. The defence seemed to be jinxed. The likes of Howson, Gradel, Snodgrass, Becchio, Beckford, Delph and Bradley Johnson were players all capable of playing at a higher level and to some degree that happened. If only we could have hung onto them, or to be more exact, if only Bates hadn't given them away.

I think those players would all get in the United team as it stands now with exception to Becchio who I don't think is better than Antenucci or Doukara.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I like the way this team is developing. Give them a full season together and as DLW says I believe we will become a side that starts to demand respect. Therein lies another problem, when we start to make headlines for all the right reasons, on the pitch the vultures will start to circle. It's then when the real battle begins, holding on to the team that has developed.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders