Are we really any better than last season? Part 2

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: Are we really any better than last season? Part 2

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Costy wrote:I've also never understood the argument that by being paid loads, the footballers body is suddenly capable of superhuman feats of endurance.
... or of being able to do everything perfectly.
It winds me up no end when someone misses a straightforward-looking chance and everyone says "Fifty grand a week and he can't hit a barn door !?"

Feel free to rant and rave because they're not Ronaldo by all means: it's your right as a ticket-buying customer, but don't tell me the size of the wage packet makes any difference.
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

Costy wrote:I would put the recruitment of poor players down to an unwillingness to spend any meaningful amounts of money by the previous regime. Grayson, warnock and mcdermott were left with little choice but to gamble on mediocre players and hope one would come good.
This was true for Grayson, I think, but not as much Warnock or McDermott. Grayson had to sell players and the money was used for operating expenses. And he then had to fill the squad with mediocre players and, as you said, hope they came good.

Warnock, though, got Morison and Warnock on high wages.
McDermott bought Murphy for a million pounds and paid Noel Hunt 15k per week.

Those aren't an unwillingness to spend money, they're just bad signings (well, except Warnock). None of the rest were worth what we paid, and that has been the more recent mistake.
Deleted User 3237

Post by Deleted User 3237 »

Have not seen live this season therefore my judgement is solely based on watching short highlights -which is never a genuine barometer) however league position, quality of squad, and all of the other numerous off-field issues re finance, ownership, pending court issues etc lead me to feeling that we are marginally BETTER off now than 12/24 months ago but that positive view is solely due to Massimo being around - take him out of the picture and I fear that it'll be a case of at least one relegation, admin, and THE END.
Deleted User 3237

Post by Deleted User 3237 »

One further quick comment on Massimo, my grandad was always fervent in his view that you should never ever trust an Italian -due to 2nd world war issues) But I have to say that as things currently stand Massimo Cellino is the only guy standing in the way of our fall into the abyss so as long as he remains in charge there is optimism for a much brighter future.
Last edited by Sheepy on 13 Jan 2015, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed offensive word
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

That's a racist term - I am not casting any aspersions - and that term IS approaching Jim Davidson territory.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Doesn't it matter?
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Lets err on the side of caution with that. I've edited that above post just incase.

Note to all, lets try and post using terms and description that won't offend anyone. Not being ultra PC, just wanting to keep the forum a friendly and welcoming place to spend time :-)
MaudDib
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by MaudDib »

Oh what! Come on anyone with a brain can see how bad we are. They have no fight anymore relegation is a huge possibility. This question should not be asked, Instead you should be asking

"Can We Escape Relegation?"
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Yeah, the league table speaks for itself.

Can we escape relegation? based on this half of the season it doesnt look good. If we can add some quality to the squad it may help but judging by the nobodies that are being currently linked with us then I am afraid I fear the worst.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

Our form is the most worrying. Before the last ten games I thought we were picking enough points to finish around 14th/15th as we normally do.