Is the the beginning of the end for Cellino imports

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
JubailWhite
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Is the the beginning of the end for Cellino imports

Post by JubailWhite »

When you look at the team last night there were only two foreigners in the starting eleven, Silvestri and Bellusci and we beat the League leaders again!
So, does Redfearn have a good case for persuading Cellino to leave the choices for the team to him or is Cellino and is bretheren going to keep on buying in the lower leagues of wherever?
Out of the 11, Silvestri, Bellusci, Cooper were Cellino buys, although 5 were on the bench.
What is it telling us? I predicted in a post way back in September that the foreign players would not last the rigours of the championship and they would find it difficult or are we just resting them?
Interesting times ahead, as now it will be really strange if Redfearn leaves out players who seemed to have had no future at the club but have come in and given excellent performances for the last two games at least, e.g., Murphy, Morrison, Wootton, which some on twitter have said they were our best three, notwithstanding the contribution of Cook.
MOT
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Is the the beginning of the end for Cellino imports

Post by SMorientes »

They aren't being 'rested' but rotated I think. Hopefully Redfearn will be rotating his squad and choosing the best 18 for each match and thus we'll see players like Berardi, Bianchi, Adryan, Doukara and Antenucci being rotated with the current XI and hopefully keeping things fresh. I don't believe the fact that we had a mostly British side last night has owt to do with it. We're just getting a bit carried away with one victory and a few good performances, just like we did back in Redfearn's spell as caretaker. Hopefully he'll manage the rest of the season well and we'll grow as a squad and improve match on match and be ready for a big season next year.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I think Redfearn now is 99% certain of the players he can rely on to put in a shift.

I think despite his shortcomings Silvestri is ok but needs to work on communication and crosses. Bellusci is good enough but needs to cut out some of his silly stuff and Antenucci works hard although a bit greedy at time - but hey, he's a striker.
Beradi I also think is good enough but not really seen a lot of him.

Bianchi and Doukoura are not good enough and I think recently they have been lucky to be on the bench.

Adryan is a luxury, surprised he's not been on the bench actually.
Costy

Post by Costy »

SMorientes wrote:They aren't being 'rested' but rotated I think. Hopefully Redfearn will be rotating his squad and choosing the best 18 for each match and thus we'll see players like Berardi, Bianchi, Adryan, Doukara and Antenucci being rotated with the current XI and hopefully keeping things fresh. I don't believe the fact that we had a mostly British side last night has owt to do with it. We're just getting a bit carried away with one victory and a few good performances, just like we did back in Redfearn's spell as caretaker. Hopefully he'll manage the rest of the season well and we'll grow as a squad and improve match on match and be ready for a big season next year.
Could not agree more. Well thought out rotation is the key. We have a decent squad with plenty of options to choose from, but if we just stuck rigidly now to the same 11 because they've won a game then we would not be learning from the previous mistake - we kept playing players who were showing signs of fatigue and left the likes of Murphy, Sloth and even Austin lingering on the sides for far too long. Keep the players fresh, keep them confident and you'll get better performances. It seems obvious.
To be honest, the negativity towards the foreign players bugs me. I'm sure they were playing when we went to Bournemouth and won and beat Middlesborough and Derby at Elland Road: all teams who are vying for promotion. They can't have been that bad. We just judge too quickly. Murphy is everyone's hero now but it wasn't long ago that a lot of people was saying he wasn't good enough. Bianchi, Doukara, Adryan etc had some quieter games during a poor patch for the whole squad but they started the season well and in my opinion it's too early and plain unfair to write them off as players already.
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

To be fair about it Murphy set off shockingly poorly this season and was rightly dropped, similar to Wootton. Morison was so disinterested last year we loaned him out to Millwall. Byram was poor last year and not so great early on, but he is slowly regaining form. Cook and Mowatt have come on great guns this year and are two of our best consistent performers. Austin from what I can gather isn't much better than he was last year. It's easy to say not many of the foreign, or new imports played last night, but our home grown talent have a long way to go before we can say they are consistently better.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Performances and form comes and goes as the season goes on. We're not going to play the exact same line up for the rest of the 20 games, well I'd hope Redfearn will learn his lesson and remember to mix up the squad every now and again. I don't like the way it's going a bit 'UKIP' with this bash the foreigners nonsense, Austin is Jamaican and foreign too as well. The performance against Bournemouth was more down to them being a football team, who we generally do better against, rather than having 8 English players (well 7 if you count Morison as Welsh).
Nic

Post by Nic »

We have a SQUAD of players, and Redfern chose the set up he felt gave us the best winning chances. In his post match he said Bournemouth only "know how to play one way, they want to play" so we obviously packed midfield and went to break on the counter. We will play differently against the dog botherers. Its great that we are not simply reverting to the diamond for each match, so I expect the foreign imports will be back in the starting XI.

Anyway they aren't home grown and foreign imports, they are just all just Leeds United players.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Nic wrote:
Anyway they aren't home grown and foreign imports, they are just all just Leeds United players.
Amen to that, brother :thumbup:
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

rigger wrote:
Nic wrote:
Amen to that, brother :thumbup:
Honestly, I'm surprised at how often nationality comes up on this site. I don't care where they come from, if they can win then I want them.

Having said that, I think most of the players Cellino has brought in are busts. Good thing they were mostly loans!
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Every one better than Kebe though. :shock:
I once played against Don Revie.