How Good Are Our Academy Players

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: How Good Are Our Academy Players

Post by Costy »

rigger wrote:
Costy wrote:Can't believe Messi isn't in your all time greats list rigger. Undoubtedly the best player there has ever been. And I know it's not exhaustive, but how could you miss out Iniesta from best of the best? Unbelievable player!
I disagree.
Despite what I said about the CL being better than the World Cup, the latter is still massively important and defines greatness in players, especially those in the top half dozen countries which Messi undoubtedly is.
Maradona won the World Cup virtually on his own in a VERY average Argentina team.
Messi wasn't even the best player in their XI during Brazil 2014 - it was a toss up between Masch and di Maria.
Plus, the Spanish league is a procession.
For me, it's a bit like arguing that Henrik Larsson should be in there for what he did at Celtic.
Alright, that's an exaggeration because he HAS done it in the CL as well, but even that can be easy till the knockout stages.

BESIDES ALL THAT : it's unfair to compare them till their careers actually end.
It's like my argument with music - you can consider how an album ranks against the best of the past till it's had time to mature ... same with singers and bands, or movies and actors, TV shows and books.

You need perspective.
So many things we disagree on! I dont need perspective, i just need to watch what he does with the ball and how many times he has destroyed high class opposition over the last decade. Incredibly consistent over a long period. Watch any youtube compilation: he has scored literally dozens and dozens of amazing goals and made many more assists. I think the idea that the Spanish league is a procession is also a bit of a fallacy: their mid table teams are every bit as good as ours and in fact often show that they are better when it comes to things like europa league. Of course they have a clear top two (incidentally, neither of which are current champions) but is that any different to here?
Finally, I think the idea that a player is only an all time great because he's won the world cup is plain wrong. It's a cup competition which is always a bit of a lottery. Maradona was undoubtedly a genius but it's very possible he wouldn't have even got to the final had he not blatantly and outrageously cheated. And are you really suggesting that bobby charlton should be held in higher esteem than messi? Messi's Argentina were also a distinctly average team(no tevez , no aguero, an unfit di Maria who for me did not play well) who still reached the final (at the expense of a much better Holland team) largely because of Messi's moments of brilliance and of course a great set of performances from mascherano.
I just don't think a player could do much more! In my opinion he's clearly the best and as a football fan it's a privilege to have have witnessed his career.
I know this isn't the thread for this debate but so what, it's a good one!
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Costy wrote:I think the idea that the Spanish league is a procession is also a bit of a fallacy: their mid table teams are every bit as good as ours and in fact often show that they are better when it comes to things like europa league. Of course they have a clear top two (incidentally, neither of which are current champions) but is that any different to here?
Completely agree.
ben87
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by ben87 »

To be fair, nearly all the top leagues are highly uncompetitive, two or three clubs dominate. Once every now and then you get a team that comes form the outside and wins, but rarely.
In a way it prefer the championship. Don't get me wrong I'd love for leeds to be back in the top flight, but unless we get serious financial clout we'd be just another cannon fodder three point team for Chelsea and co
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

So many things we disagree on!
Yup - that's what makes this such a great forum :D

I dont need perspective ... Watch any youtube compilation
You're not a football agent, are you ?
I'd look good on a video if you took all the best moments of my distinctly average Sunday league career :D

I think the idea that the Spanish league is a procession is also a bit of a fallacy ... but is that any different to here?
Fair point, but that's about modern football. Back in the 70s, loads of teams could win the league here while in Italy, Spain and Germany it was still one of only two or three clubs.

Finally, I think the idea that a player is only an all time great because he's won the world cup is plain wrong
I didn't say that - I said that international tournament are "massively important and define greatness in players". Johan Cruyff never won a World Cup or a Euro but he was the undisputed star of the 1974 tournament. Platini never won a World Cup, but he single-handedly dragged France to victory in Euro 84.
I also referenced George Best and Cristiano Ronaldo as having next to no chance of making waves in that part of the game as their nations are relatively weak.

Maradona was undoubtedly a genius but it's very possible he wouldn't have even got to the final had he not blatantly and outrageously cheated.
I strongly disagree with that - England had no chance in that game. He cheated, but is that any different to Owen's dive for the penalty in 2002 ?

And are you really suggesting that bobby charlton should be held in higher esteem than messi?
Yes, right now, I do because Messi isn't done yet.
I'm pretty sure he will be seen on the same level as Cruyff, Best and Zidane after time and probably be considered as good as Pele and Maradona by a great many people.
Bobby Charlton was undoubtedly the greatest England player of all time, better than Moore, Matthews, Finney, Keegan, Banks, Shilton, Gascoigne, Hoddle, Beckham or anyone else you care to mention. He played for Man United fercrisakes, so it's not easy to say that :D

In my opinion he's clearly the best
I love talking about football as much as I loved playing it or watching it now. It's almost as much fun as Subbuteo :D

... as a football fan it's a privilege to have have witnessed his career ...
Absolutely.
My favourite is the YouTube clip comparing his goal to Maradona's second against in England in 86:

For all that, though, I still argue that in any comparison you need that distance, that breathing space, that .. TIME .. for the dust to settle on the trophy cabinet.
I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one ..

I would pick Bobby Charlton ahead of Messi in my all-time XI though .. at the moment ;)
Deleted User 728

Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Byram - Reinvigorated now he has been moved further upfield, there is a goal or two to come from him this season if he keeps getting in those positions. In terms of long term progression, he could make a lower league PL team say a Sunderland for example, but I have my doubts about any England caps.

Mowatt - As has been said, lack of pace will have it's impact on his future and his refusal to use his right foot will not help. I doubt he will make it out of the Championship, but again a lower PL team might take him as cover but he is no England international that is for sure.

Cook - Outstanding prospect, and if he continues at this rate and cuts out giving the ball away, he will play for a 'top team' and England.

Taylor - I've watched quite a lot of Fleetwood games last season, and liked him a lot. However, he looked vulnerable on Tuesday (admittedly against good opposition), and panicky at times. That will change with experience, of course, but I doubt him making it out of the Championship unless there is significant improvement over the next few seasons which there may be as he gets older.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Going to be hilarious coming back to this thread in 10 years after these four have won the Champions League and Premier League with us.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

SiMamu wrote:Going to be hilarious coming back to this thread in 10 years after these four have won the Champions League and Premier League with us.
I sincerely hope that happens!
Deleted User 728

SiMamu wrote:Going to be hilarious coming back to this thread in 10 years after these four have won the Champions League and Premier League with us.
Si, how many times ... this is real life, not "FM World" :D
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

Can see Mowatt getting to the top level unless he learns to use his right foot (though its too late for that now), a one footed player will never make it at the top level these days.

As fo rteh others, and other home grown talents throughout the lower leagues, almost the only way to get into teh Pl is stay where you are and hope for promotion, very few PL clubs, and certainly not the top 6, sign English players - one of the reasons why I dislike the PL so much.