Random Quiz

Engage in some light-hearted challenges to test your knowledge and wits
Deleted User 728

Re: Random Quiz

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Rigger

I used to regularly fly from Eastleigh on the Islanders. In those days the airport was nothing more than a tin hut. Used to weigh you as well before you boarded.
Haha !! Brilliant !

Important airport in the history of the nation, though .. the Spitfire flew from there, of course.
Deleted User 728

1. Which player past or present won most international caps while at Leeds ?
Gotta be someone recent, given how many more games are played these days compared to the home nation's paltry half dozen per year in the 60s and 70s. How about Gary Kelly ?

2. Which team have we faced most times in League Matches in our history ?
Sheffield Wednesday

3. We've played Arsenal 17 times in the FA cup, far more than any other team, How many have we won ?

4. Which match produced record gate receipts of over £1mill at Elland Road ?
AC Milan home leg
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:
What was the fastest ever aeroplane (military or Civilian)
Depends if you include those powered by rockets, in which case it's the Bell X-15 at Mach 6.7 or something (3,450mph) - can't remember now. I could google it, but that's defeating the object.
If you mean conventionally powered it's the SR-71 Blackbird with a Mach 3.5 top speed, isn't it ?
If you mean combat aircraft, isn't it still the MiG-25 Foxbat at Mach 2.5 ?
If you mean commercial, isn't it still the Tupolev TU-144 Charger at Mach 2.2 ??
SR Blackbird is what I was looking for

PS the Charger was the Soviet version of Concorde, many slated it as a poor attempt.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

mapperleywhite wrote:
Davycc wrote:Great quiz and idea MW

May I post 3 Questions ?

This one makes it four in total but I'll let you off :)

OK thanks I will :) remember no Googling etc Real easy ones.

Name the 5 Cinque Ports

Dunquerque, Calais, Boulogne sur mer, Douvres et Folkestone

What was the fastest ever aeroplane (military or Civilian)

My idea would be that the English Electric Lightning would have been at least at one time simply because it was essentially a cockpit mounted on top of two rockets.

What is the largest fresh water lake (by Volume) in the world.

Lake Baikal in Southern Siberia

MW 1 Port correct

And spot on re the fresh water lake. Lake Superior is the largest by area.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
mapperleywhite wrote: Apparently there is a version spoken on Alderney called Auregnais

The travel company (I won't call them an actual airline) that flew/flies from Southampton to the Channel Islands using Trislanders and Islanders was/is called Aurigny.

I'm not sure if they're still going, but the three-prop planes had a very distinctive sound and were a common site over the city for most of my life.

They were manufactured by Britten-Norman, who were based on the Isle Of Wight - http://www.britten-norman.com/

JUST CHECKED: they're still going - http://www.aurigny.com/
They're very much an airline these days, with jets and everything - my bad ! :D

We had a couple of these years ago as well. God damn ugly plane.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Davycc wrote:
PS the Charger was the Soviet version of Concorde, many slated it as a poor attempt.
Wouldn't disagree, but it was marginally faster than the Concorde.

I think a lot of what the Soviets were doing back then should be applauded.
They were basically retro-engineering from photos and covert visits to airshows.
It wasn't like they had the real thing to strip down and work from ..

I mean, take the Foxbat. It was meant to match up to the Eagle and the Tomcat in an air-superiority role, so they did pretty well to even get close to what was western state of the art technology back then.

I guess the scariest thing about the Soviet Union/Russia is that not only do they have crackpot leaders and a determined populace, but they also have the weight of sheer numbers behind them, both in terms of military hardware and personnel.

If it ever kicks off .. :?
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Well we may have 'tough' Ed Milliband, he will give them a good talking to.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:

They were basically retro-engineering from photos and covert visits to airshows.

I mean, take the Foxbat. It was meant to match up to the Eagle and the Tomcat in an air-superiority role, so they did pretty well to even get close to what was western state of the art technology back then.

I guess the scariest thing about the Soviet Union/Russia is that not only do they have crackpot leaders and a determined populace, but they also have the weight of sheer numbers behind them, both in terms of military hardware and personnel.

Many a Western military pilot has stated the were always taught their A/C were far superior to the russians only to find that in "encounters" they were the equal if not better. One of our engineers came from the RAF and was at the Farnborough Air Show when the Russians first appeared at it. He says it was amazing after the show when the wests fighters where being refitted with fuel pods etc for long journeys home the Russian engineers asked if they could help (all very open I must say) and he was amazed the Russians knew exactly how to do the refit on ALL the A/C lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:

Many a Western military pilot has stated the were always taught their A/C were far superior to the russians only to find that in "encounters" they were the equal if not better. One of our engineers came from the RAF and was at the Farnborough Air Show when the Russians first appeared at it. He says it was amazing after the show when the wests fighters where being refitted with fuel pods etc for long journeys home the Russian engineers asked if they could help (all very open I must say) and he was amazed the Russians knew exactly how to do the refit on ALL the A/C lol
Somewhere in the back of my mind I think I read that the Russians were given flawed design plans for Concord as part of the espionage activity.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Davycc wrote:
rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:

Regarding the superiority of their aircraft one conflict I remember was the six day war in 1967. Israel's American aircraft were vastly superior to the Arab's MiGs, although it could also have been that the Israeli pilots were better trained.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....