NEW Redfearn interview in The Guardian TODAY

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

NEW Redfearn interview in The Guardian TODAY

Post by Deleted User 728 »

From The Guardian, 23:08 Sunday 19 April 2015 : http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... l-redfearn
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Neil Redfearn: ‘freakish events’ caused six Leeds players to miss game
- ‘Every member of the squad receives first-class treatment’
- Six players absent for Charlton game after medical team’s decision

Neil Redfearn said the six Leeds United players missed the trip to London due to a freakish set of events.

Leeds United said “every member of the squad receives first-class treatment” as the club clarified the reasons behind the withdrawal of six players at short notice from Saturday’s Sky Bet Championship match against Charlton.

Six players – Mirco Antenucci, Giuseppe Bellusci, Dario Del Fabro, Marco Silvestri, Souleymane Doukara and Edgar Çani –withdrew from the squad on the eve of the trip to The Valley citing injuries.

Neil Redfearn, the Leeds manager, described their absence after the game as a “freakish set of events”.

The Italian quartet Antenucci, Bellusci, Del Fabro and Silvestri, the Frenchman Doukara and Albanian Çani all told Redfearn they were injured and could not travel to London.

According to the Leeds manager, Silvestri had been rested since sustaining a knock but had been expected to recover, while Antenucci and Çani declared themselves unfit after training on Thursday with the rest pulling out following a ‘light’ session on Friday.

On Sunday evening Leeds United released a statement on the club website in an attempt to draw a line under the controversy.

“Leeds United Football Club wants to clarify that during the days leading up to the away Championship fixture at Charlton Athletic on Saturday April 17 that six first-team players suffered injuries,” the statement on http://www.leedsunited.com read.

“While our first-team squad did not train on Wednesday, after the Norwich City fixture the night before, the club were aware that several players were carrying injuries after the game.

“The first-team squad and management returned to training on Thursday and Friday when these injuries were assessed by the club’s medical team.

“Upon assessment of the players, the medical team decided to take caution and on Friday six players did not finish the full training session.

“Every member of the Leeds United squad receives first-class treatment from the club’s head physio and his team at Thorp Arch.

“It was the medical team’s view from Thursday onwards that some first-team players would struggle to be fit for Saturday’s game at Charlton.

“It was declared that the six players were unavailable to travel to London on Friday; the club needs to protect its assets. The club completely stands by the internal medical recommendations that it receives.”

The withdrawals continued the chaos that has plagued Leeds.

Redfearn’s position has become increasingly threatened over recent weeks, despite leading the club to safety after taking over from the ill-fated David Hockaday and Darko Milanic.

He saw his assistant, Steve Thompson, lose his job without warning on 2 April and his own deal, which expires at the end of the season, looks increasingly unlikely to be renewed under the club’s current regime.

Massimo Cellino, the club president, has been banned since January after being found guilty of not paying tax on a yacht in Italy, but is due to return in a fortnight’s time.

The Leeds striker Steve Morison admits he has never experienced anything like the current circus surrounding the Yorkshire club. Morison, who scored Leeds’ goal in the 2-1 defeat at The Valley, told BBC West Yorkshire Sport: “We’re around it every day.

“People draw their own conclusions over what happened [with the withdrawals]. It’s a tough situation and you have to take everything at face value but it’s been like it all season in one way or another.”

When asked if there was a split in the camp, the 31-year-old added: “It’s just been one of those seasons where every day something different has happened.

“I have never known anything like it in football and I have played for teams scrapping for their lives - Millwall last year - and teams that have been promoted.”
Deleted User 728

Re: NEW Redfearn interview in The Guardian TODAY

One thing that struck me about both this story and the Trevor Cherry one published earlier over the weekend by the same paper is that no journalist was credited with the story. Both articles had "Press Association" as a byline, which normally means the source is a press release circulated by the club, which obviously isn't the case with the Cherry piece.
I wonder if one of the northern-based writers is running scared from the club, hoping not to be banned ?
They might have already been up against the club's press officer in the past when KB was still in charge.

Oh no, wait - my bad - we probably no longer have a press officer, do we ?
Or if we do, he's helping with first team training now ... :(
Deleted User 728

Another thing : it all seems like a bit of a whitewash to me anyway ...

SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

https://twitter.com/thesquareball/statu ... 6327324673

Cellino on events... Trying to pin it on 'the manager'.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Have we got a manager now?

(written in the voice of the Young Ones' hamster SPG saying 'Have we gort a video?' :P
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Beradi has been carrying an injury for last few weeks (which Redders said last week), despite this he's been playing and travelled to Charlton to take his place on the bench if needed.

Begs the question "Why isn't our medical team taking the same precaution with him ?"

For the record I've a feeling a couple of the players concerned have got knocks but certainly not all 6.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:One thing that struck me about both this story and the Trevor Cherry one published earlier over the weekend by the same paper is that no journalist was credited with the story. Both articles had "Press Association" as a byline, which normally means the source is a press release circulated by the club, which obviously isn't the case with the Cherry piece.
I wonder if one of the northern-based writers is running scared from the club, hoping not to be banned ?
They might have already been up against the club's press officer in the past when KB was still in charge.

Oh no, wait - my bad - we probably no longer have a press officer, do we ?
Or if we do, he's helping with first team training now ... :(
There's no truth in the rumour he's helping with first team 'training' - he's only putting the cones out.
I once played against Don Revie.