The season so far

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Jonny B Lelant
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

The season so far

Post by Jonny B Lelant »

A bit early I know but having spent the summer anxiously anticipating the new season I wondered if anyone else has a weird sense of optimism about this season. I can't pin it down although reports are that there is a good feeling in the squad. We haven't won yet although we could have snatched three points yesterday and the defence looks much more solid. I got this feeling we might just be in the mix this time if only we can learn how to finish teams off. Any thoughts ?
Deleted User 728

Re: The season so far

Post by Deleted User 728 »

In a word, no.
I think we'll be solidly table and no more.

I'm a VERY optimistic person by nature, but this season will be one of consolidation for the club for me.
Reasons ?

- Cellino has learned to delegate. Britain is a democracy and its organisations reflect that. He's not used to that, coming from Italy.
- The squad is maturing together but they're not there yet.
- Rosler doesn't know that squad well enough yet.
- We don't have enough quality at either end of the pitch to push for promotion.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I'm always full of optimism at the start of a new season and this is no different.
I liked the signings we made, I'm pleased we have off loaded lots of deadwood and have a younger hungry squad.
Like the fact we have a manager who takes a positive line.
As a unit will we challenge for promotion, far too early to tell, I just hope so.
Saying that I'm confident we will finish higher than the last two seasons and be far better to watch.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
new signing
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by new signing »

my only fear is that if we dont gain promotion this time around we'll be picked apart at the end of the season.

I think we can make the play offs but i also think that will require reinforcements come january
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

new signing wrote:my only fear is that if we dont gain promotion this time around we'll be picked apart at the end of the season.
... along with 95% of clubs around the world.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

new signing wrote:my only fear is that if we dont gain promotion this time around we'll be picked apart at the end of the season.

I think we can make the play offs but i also think that will require reinforcements come january
I don't think you'll need to worry about us going this season, we're a way off in my opinion.
new signing
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by new signing »

Aaron wrote:

I don't think you'll need to worry about us going this season, we're a way off in my opinion.
I think youre right but then i have my moments of positivity (possibly delusion)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Aaron wrote:

Whether you are right or wrong two league matches are not enough to judge.
We see too many knee jerk reactions, lose our next match the talk will be relegation, win it we will be talking promotion. Of course neither is correct a season is 46 games and all I'm hoping is to see a continued improvement.
There will be low points but hopefully plenty more highs.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Way too early to be making any assessments as the manager is still getting to know his players & vice versa. Compared to last season I'm a lot happier we appear to have our club on firm footing & a manager I personally like & trust. Adam Pearson is the main reason we have so much stability at the moment. Let's judge the season after 20+ games by then we will have a better idea of things.
Winner of the Europa League
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Agree, way too early to judge.
But, reasonable start and initial signs are more promising than perhaps those of previous seasons have been?