Dominic Matteo bankrupt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Dominic Matteo bankrupt

Post by NottinghamWhite »

http://www.mirror.co...-former-6265334

Former Leeds United and Liverpool defender Dominic Matteo has been made bankrupt after racking up more than £1million in gambling losses.An order against the ex-Scotland international star was obtained by the government-run Insolvency Service at Halifax County Court in West Yorkshire.
The bankruptcy move follows admissions by Matteo that he had been a heavy gambler and had lost more than a million pounds on the horses.

As well as having gambled away the seven-figure sum, he also admitted once betting £100,000 on a single horse,
The Dumfries-born father-of-two was made bankrupt on July 28 – but the information was only made public last week.
On the bankruptcy order, his occupations are given as football pundit and company director. Matteo also runs a trendy pub in Leeds called Rock Bar.

An Insolvency Service spokesman told the Daily Record: “The matter is at an early stage.
"Mr Matteo will need to be interviewed to establish how many creditors there are and how much is due to them.
“A decision will also have to be made over whether to appoint an insolvency practitioner to handle the case.”
Matteo spoke openly about his gambling problems in his 2011 biography In My Defence and in interviews to promote the book.
He said: “Most of my friends and family know I enjoy a drink but the gambling side,especially the extent of it, was not known and has come as a shock to them.

“You used to have to walk into the bookies to get your bet on and in a place like Leeds everyone would know if you started putting big money on.

“But with telephone accounts and text betting, you can do it privately. No one’s the wiser.
"There’s no prying eyes and bookmakers guard your secrecy.
“With drinking or womanising, you’d be in the papers but betting is one of the few vices footballers can have without it getting around.”

Towards the end of his career, Matteo took up racehorse ownership with his Blackburn team-mate Garry Flitcroft and began rushing to race meetings by helicopter after training sessions.
He said of that time: “I gambled stupid amounts.

“One day I lost £100,000 on an evens-priced favourite and luckily won it back on another evens-priced horse a few hours later.

“All in all, I lost seven figures by the time I packed it in but it was only the birth of my daughter Luisa that made me think, ‘This is ridiculous and has to stop.’”

In August 2007, Matteo had an affair with married Leeds club physiotherapist Hannah Nicholls and was named by her then husband Matthew in a divorce action.
The couple later married.

Matteo also works on the lucrative after-dinner circuit and is a former club ambassador at Leeds.
He played in the team that reached the semi-finals of the Champions League in 2001.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Re: Dominic Matteo bankrupt

Post by Deleted User 728 »

And he's our ambassador ?? :roll:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

rigger wrote:And he's our ambassador ?? :roll:

Former ;)
Winner of the Europa League
cornishone
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by cornishone »

Wasn't he the face for Leeds fans of Bet24 when they were our sponsor? I'm sure I remember him giving his 'best' tips before each game on the OS. Glad I never followed any of them now...
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I know he's a nice bloke and a decent pro and all that but ... FFS !!

If it was one of your mates you'd be shaking him firmly by the shoulders, wouldn't you ??

What planet do these people live on if they can chuck away all that cash ?
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

It can be an addiction, simple as that. Addicts can be very deceitful and secretive.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Back in the 1960's a storeman in the firm I worked for had a gambling habit. He was married with kids. He drew his wages on a Friday and every Monday morning was in my office (I looked after the petty cash) asking for a sub against next weeks wages. The Depot Manager had an account with one of the big bookies and somehow the storeman found his account number. One Saturday when he was already skint, the storeman put bets on using the Depot Manager's account. They all lost and he had to go in and own up to the Depot Manager on Monday morning. He left soon after, don't know what happened to him. Felt sorry for his family. Gambling is bad enough for people who can't afford it but why do wealthy people gamble? What is the point.
I have one bet a year, on the Grand National, end of.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

His punditry was even worse than his betting tips.

Sad to see anyone implode.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Total lack of sympathy really .... Like the likes of lorimer before him he has earned a few lifetimes money and chosen to blow it. Get yourself a proper 8 till 6 job Dom - you will find you haven't got as much time on your hands to drink & bet.
Fernandopartridge
Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland expert

Post by Fernandopartridge »

O'Leary's self proclaimed greatest LUFC signing, what a shame. Always handled himself so well, as for the 'you;d be shaking him by the shoulders' comment, addicts can be very secretive. I'm sure he will get the help he needs with the coverage from the press, he isn't the first and unfortunately he won't be the last. :thumbdown: