Dominic Matteo bankrupt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2299

Re: Dominic Matteo bankrupt

Post by Deleted User 2299 »

isrodger wrote:Total lack of sympathy really .... Like the likes of lorimer before him he has earned a few lifetimes money and chosen to blow it. Get yourself a proper 8 till 6 job Dom - you will find you haven't got as much time on your hands to drink & bet.

I'm guessing/hope your 8-6 job has nothing to do with counselling? :lolno:

Addictions don't care how old, what sex or even what job you have. Addictions control the person.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Sad to hear this. Gambling has always had its victims but its becoming a major problem nowadays because you can bet on anything anywhere, the temptation is everywhere. Also its one of the biggest growing industries which says it all really.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Nesslin wrote:
isrodger wrote:Total lack of sympathy really .... Like the likes of lorimer before him he has earned a few lifetimes money and chosen to blow it. Get yourself a proper 8 till 6 job Dom - you will find you haven't got as much time on your hands to drink & bet.

I'm guessing/hope your 8-6 job has nothing to do with counselling? :lolno:

Addictions don't care how old, what sex or even what job you have. Addictions control the person.
No it's the hours normal people work - I appreciate addictions are an illness... But there are plenty of people who deserve our sympathy above someone who has had all the privileges matteo. Personally I would rather applaud a hard working man who struggles to keep a roof above his families head, without relying on the state for handouts. Doubtless there will be calls for matteo to have a testimonial to bale him out as there was for lorimer when he p...d his first fortune against a wall, but he won't be getting my sympathy or money for that matter.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

When were there calls for Lorimer to have another testimonial?

And come on, we're talking BIG differences in £ between what Lorimer earned and what Matteo earned.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

onenorthernsoul wrote:

And come on, we're talking BIG differences in £ between what Lorimer earned and what Matteo earned.
True. Peter played in an era when an ex-footballer would try his hand at running a pub. Or drinking it dry, sadly.
Deleted User 130

He's still resident in the Commercial and it isn't dry.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:When were there calls for Lorimer to have another testimonial?

Your right one the disparity now between a top player and the average man is ludicrous.... However in the revie era players could still earn 10 times the average salary plus perks. There were calls for another testimonial for lorimer in the 80's. Off subject slightly ...didn't john Charles have two testimonials - one for his performances at centre forward the second for his games at centre back! Rush & platini played didn't they.
Deleted User 130

No, I don't think he did, ISR :D He shared one with Bobby Collins, that's the one with Platini etc - great game too :)

Sorry, I don't recall any calls for a second Lorimer testimonial - he certainly wasn't a piss head when he was playing for us, well no more than Shez etc.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

onenorthernsoul wrote:He's still resident in the Commercial and it isn't dry.
Talking of this, does anyone else on here remember Lorimer running a club off Dewsbury Road (so not too far from The Commercial, if my memory serves me well opposite a former police station)? We're talking perhaps 1983/84. He offered a minibus service to the ground and we sat with him whilst he imparted his pearls of knowledge on the game we were about to see...

Think also my mates in Leeds at the time got to play a few five-a-side games including him, as the club had a small pitch.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

isrodger wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:When were there calls for Lorimer to have another testimonial?

Your right one the disparity now between a top player and the average man is ludicrous.... However in the revie era players could still earn 10 times the average salary plus perks. There were calls for another testimonial for lorimer in the 80's. Off subject slightly ...didn't john Charles have two testimonials - one for his performances at centre forward the second for his games at centre back! Rush & platini played didn't they.
To be fair, the average man isn't one of the best at what he does and hasn't worked nearly as hard at the skill of his profession to get to where he is as a top footballer has. Messi is the very best presently, possibly ever, and it could be some time before someone is as good as he and Ronaldo. He's worked hard to be that good, and has earned the millions he gets because of how hard he's worked - becoming the very best. When the average worker is the best at what he does, perhaps he'll earn millions for it too.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."