Russel crowe takeover

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Russel crowe takeover

Post by Selby White »

Obviously I don't know either way was just quoting what i read.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I just think he used us to get a bit of publicity for himself.

If he really "loves" the club as much as he says, he wouldn't do that ..

The whole thing smells of BS to me.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Selby White wrote:Obviously I don't know either way was just quoting what i read.
Not looking for an argument or stating what's true or not SW, there isn't much I trust about any 'news' concerning Cellino and most 'sources' seem to make stuff up or copy and paste other unreliable sources :P
Deleted User 130

rigger wrote:I just think he used us to get a bit of publicity for himself.

If he really "loves" the club as much as he says, he wouldn't do that ..

The whole thing smells of BS to me.
He's a world famous film star, he was over here with his RL club, what publicity did/does he need? While he was here he was asled a load of questions by Leeds fans. Genuine questions to which he appeared to answer in genuine fashion. He has been pretty well-known as being a real fan of the club, his statement doesn't smell of Malecowpoo to me but even if it did, sorry but calling him, a Leeds fan, a tosser is poor form, trivial as it is. Even if it is Malecowpoo, has it caused any negative spin for the club? I don't for one second think he has been bullshitting us, mind.

And EVEN if he was trying to create publicity, he is after all a major figure in the world that seems to operate on it :P
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
Selby White wrote:Obviously I don't know either way was just quoting what i read.
Not looking for an argument or stating what's true or not SW, there isn't much I trust about any 'news' concerning Cellino and most 'sources' seem to make stuff up or copy and paste other unreliable sources :P
Didn't think you were arguing just quoting what you've heard (nothing wrong with that :thumbup: ), would be much nicer if we all had access to the real facts all the time. Trouble is it only takes one site of media outlet to quote something and the others follow suit. Then we read things in many places it comes very believable.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 130

Selby White wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:
Didn't think you were arguing just quoting what you've heard (nothing wrong with that :thumbup: ), would be much nicer if we all had access to the real facts all the time. Trouble is it only takes one site of media outlet to quote something and the others follow suit. Then we read things in many places it comes very believable.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Deleted User 728

onenorthernsoul wrote: He's a world famous film star, he was over here with his RL club, what publicity did/does he need? While he was here he was asled a load of questions by Leeds fans. Genuine questions to which he appeared to answer in genuine fashion. He has been pretty well-known as being a real fan of the club, his statement doesn't smell of Malecowpoo to me but even if it did, sorry but calling him, a Leeds fan, a tosser is poor form, trivial as it is. Even if it is Malecowpoo, has it caused any negative spin for the club? I don't for one second think he has been bullshitting us, mind.

And EVEN if he was trying to create publicity, he is after all a major figure in the world that seems to operate on it :P
I know what you mean, ONS, and I'm sorry if I offended you with my choice of word.
Maybe what I called him was a bit strong, but what sticks in my craw is that if he is such a fan, he should know only too well that we live in hope that someone who really cares will dig us out of the mire and set this great club back on an upward trajectory.

He should know that by dangling himself in front of us (not a nice thought, granted) he's teasing us, giving us false hope of a new messiah to lead us back to the promised land.

He should NOT have done that unless he was dead serious, and if he was dead serious he would have taken steps to find out what exactly was involved - even due diligence, maybe - before opening his mouth to say he'd be interested in taking us over.
Obviously, he's got the money.
Obviously, he's got the profile to raise serious funds on top of whatever he was personally willing to invest/lose.

That's why I'm annoyed.
Don't say you're gonna do something like that to fans .. it doesn't wash.

Anyway, apologies to you and anyone else for using the word "Tosser".
Deleted User 130

No offence taken bud, I just think there might be a bit of a disservice done to him, and 'tosser' wasn't needed anyway imho. I know nothing about this situation in reality but I just get the feeling he has felt obligated to broadcast his decision, as if he has been regularly asked about it. It also seems you are the very opposite viewpoint, and I now appreciate that :)

IF this has all come about because of his ego then I will agree with your point of view. I just hope you're completely wrong :P I do happen to like him as an actor, and Gladiator is a really good film, you should try it, Joacquim Phoenix is superb in it.
Deleted User 130

Former Leeds United player Michael Bridges has been speaking about Russell Crowe’s decision not to push forward with a takeover bid at Elland Road.

BBC Radio Leeds have broadcast an interview Bridges gave to Australia’s ABC Grandstand in which he discussed the Hollywood actor’s recent announcement on Twitter that he would be stepping back from any attempt to become the new owner of Leeds as he wished to spend more time with his children.

Giving some insight into earlier discussions when Crowe first considered the move, Bridges said, “That came about last year and I was quite excited when it happened. I got a phone call to see if I would be interested in helping out with a few things if it was to go through and I was trying to push it on social media and I was excited.

“And everyone in the UK wanted to know what all the hype was about but I think there was a lot to do with Vinnie Jones as well…I think that had been mentioned and I got quite excited to be honest.”

So it seems – according to Bridges at least – that there was a considerable amount of discussion taking place behind the scenes with some very famous names.

If Bridges was also set to be involved in some capacity it showed that the plan was to ensure the club was run by people who had a real affinity to them, while Jones’ and Crowe’s Hollywood connections were said to have played a big part in the early talks.

However, the move now seems dead in the water and that will come as a disappointment to those Leeds fans who were hoping for a change at the top and a huge positive step in the right direction.

Bridges for one is sad that things did not work out as he would have hoped, adding, “Obviously it’s not going to happen, he’s pulled the plug and I was hoping the future would be bright but it’s not to be sadly, but there will be somebody floating around. I just hope Uwe Rosler can start to get some wins instead of draws because the players and fans deserve it.”

Bridges spent five years at Leeds, playing 56 matches and scoring 19 goals in the process.

Now 37, he plays for Lambton Jaffas FC in Australia so he will know Crowe’s influence on sport in that country well.
Deleted User 728

What a sad last couple of sentences, they are ..

The fact he's playing for a club down under that sounds like a brand of biscuits is one thing, but to average 11 matches a year as a pro at the peak of his powers really underlines how unlucky that boy was with injuries.

He had it all, too :(