Kevin Nolan

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 130

Re: Kevin Nolan

Post by Deleted User 130 »

There doesn't really need to be a debate about it as I think we're all probably right or part right, but there again those names you list SW aren't really pertinent. Rush joined us in the Prem to help with scoring, except he was put him on the wing most of the time. Flo was proper past it, age and injury and we were desperate, Brolin was a marquee signing who didn't actually do so badly at first but we were top tier then, Barnes cost nearly a million and wasn't past it at all, he was just the wrong signing. Nolan is still a decent player and I genuinely think would do well still in this division.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
Selby White wrote:No from me also despie always liking Nolan.

Much prefer the policy of signing players on the up rather than those in the twilight of their careers.
To that though there is always the response 'Gordon Strachan' :D V different players ability wise but in terms of influence, maybe there is a potential there. It won't happen any road, I can't see it.
If you was talking a Paul scholes, Gerard, lampard I'd agree but this lad predominantly plays off the centre forward and wasn't that good in the first place. If we sign a exoerienced leader for me he would be a centre back or midfield playmaker / ball winner - by default he would be a skipper.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Strachan would be 27 or so when he joined us and had offended Fergie from memory so no comparison to Nolan who is simply ageing. Collins was also younger than Nolan and a superior player in every respect. Everton fans were gutted to lose him - John will know. His crime was offending Harry Catterick I believe. Neither of them were past their best though and neither of them could be compared to any Warnock signing past, present or future. These guys were the real deal - like signing Scholes say in his late 20s. Nolan was just decent.

Edit: Schole bit xed in the post with ISR. It's just that Scholes was the best of his generation and therefore comparable in status to our Scots.
Last edited by Mellor on 27 Aug 2015, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

Nolan would be good for us, his experience alone would be invaluable and he's a very good footballer, but ..... I can't believe we have any chance of signing him ...... Have we?
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
Deleted User 130

I'm talking leadership qualities, not style of play. Scholes a great player but never led or captained. I haven#t checked on how many times Nolan was a captain but I suspect it was a fair few times.

Strachan was in his 30s, Mellor, not that that is crucial to your point.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

onenorthernsoul wrote:I'm talking leadership qualities, not style of play. Scholes a great player but never led or captained. I haven#t checked on how many times Nolan was a captain but I suspect it was a fair few times.

Correct, mind plays tricks. Still younger (just) than Nolan, far far superior player and uniquely, fuelled by bananas so fitter.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Mellor wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:I'm talking leadership qualities, not style of play. Scholes a great player but never led or captained. I haven#t checked on how many times Nolan was a captain but I suspect it was a fair few times.

Correct, mind plays tricks. Still younger (just) than Nolan, far far superior player and uniquely, fuelled by bananas so fitter.
Bobby Collins was 31.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 130

Sorry for shouting but...

I AM NOT COMPARING NOLAN's ABILITY WITH BOBBY COLLINS OR STRACHAN, I AM MEANING HE HAS DECENT LEADERSHIP AND THEREFORE POSITIVE INFLUENCE ON PLAYERS AROUND HIM :lol:

He is not a scratch on those two or Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I think Kevin Nolan has been captain, at some point, of every club he's played for.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:There doesn't really need to be a debate about it as I think we're all probably right or part right
Kinda does away with the point of this entire website, dontchafink ?? :lolno: