Lewis Cook

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Lewis Cook

Post by LAsouthcoast »

That's why we love the game.
NorthumbrianWhite
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by NorthumbrianWhite »

I was so glad when he signed that contract in May, but it was tinged with a nagging feeling, being as it was only for two years. I was wondering then if someone was having his ear and telling him to hedge his bets for any potential developments...

Football has made me a terrible cynic.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

That fact that we are talking about him in the same vein as Delph. We should be offering him a contract extension..... Leeds is the best place for him at this age. Afew more years for me before we can compare him to delph..
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Howson wasn't the complete player but blimey you need to look at his scoring record, and WHEN he scored them, to understand how important he was. True, he wasn't captain material and he wasn't great at tackling or riding tackles, but he was the best box to box player, with a superb strike on him, we've had for years. AND, sorry for shouting, he is the sort of player we are really missing now! And Cook IS ace :D
Deleted User 496

Post by Deleted User 496 »

Howson was and is a very average player. Delph is a very good player but if he weren't English most likely wouldn't be at City, imo. Cook is much much better than those guys. Best Leeds homegrown player I've seen in a very long time.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Very average player who has scored some beautiful goals for us and who has actually achieved something after leaving Leeds. He was made captain here, that's how 'average' he was, after helping us to promotion from div 3. Bates cashed in on him and we haven't had as good a marauding midfielder since. We miss his sort even now.

And I was a big critic when he was here :D
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Delph was a better dribbler than Howson and possessed a great burst of pace with the ball, as well as being more tenacious in the tackle. But Howson had a better shot on him - although both scored quite a few bangers in their time here - and was, and is a superior passer of the ball (Delph wouldn't have the vision or execution to pick out Beckford at Old Trafford). Howson also had a habit of scoring big goals at big times, with this coming from his superior off the ball movement, knowing where to be and making sure not to make a run from midfield too early - which would run the risk of him already being picked up by a marker by the time it got to him. I'd argue that Howson is the more intelligent footballer, but Delph is the bolder and gets involved more.

One shouldn't understate Howson's importance to the team. Whilst he was, perhaps, the wrong choice for captain. He was definitely vital to the team. This was demonstrated by us falling apart after his injury and eventual departure in 11/12. Clayton did the spectacular things that are easily appreciated by English eyes, but Howson did what English eyes can often miss or devalue with midfielders. Based on past experience, if we hadn't bottled promotion in the dying weeks of 10/11, Howson probably would've scored the goal that got us promoted.

I've seen this said in the past by others: Mowatt is the Howson, Cook is the Delph.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Howson wasn't the complete player but blimey you need to look at his scoring record, and WHEN he scored them, to understand how important he was. True, he wasn't captain material and he wasn't great at tackling or riding tackles, but he was the best box to box player, with a superb strike on him, we've had for years. AND, sorry for shouting, he is the sort of player we are really missing now! And Cook IS ace :D
Sorry to disagree but this is why I think he was overrated. You mention his goal scoring record I think he averaged about 4 a season - hardly frank lampard. Yes he scored a couple or 3 great goals, memorable goals at Carlisle and Bristol rovers - when he came off the bench. At the time he became established we constantly were demanding we bought a proper lynch pin midfielder. He was a good player, but his sentimentle value as a result of being home grown possibly clouded opinion when Bradley Johnson was a better player. Lewis cook to me is a totally different proposition- I think the lad will play for England. Howson; well he plays for Norwich & wouldn't still be there if he was anywhere near the level Delph is at or Cook will soon be at for that matter.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

They're all different players. As a fan of BJ when he was here I would have Howson back in preference to him (don't want anyone back mindst).

What players go on to achieve when they leave us isn't important to me. What they do when they're here definitely is and when he was here Howson was the lynchpin in the team. His range of passing was excellent. His ability to burst forward with the ball was a real threat, he could shoot, he was probably the fittest person on the pitch and, vital this, he was brave enough and quick enough to get ahead of the ball rather than following it up the pitch - this is so important in the 4231 system and still missing from the team.

He was a good captain - he got injured and the only thing left until recently was the sound of bubbles bursting. Proper hero young Johnny for Lufc.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente