Alex Mowatt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Alex Mowatt

Post by Costy »

I've said this before - it's Stephen Mcphail all over again. He's very talented technically and is an intelligent player with good vision, but his lack of mobility and stamina prevents him from consistently showing those attributes and being effective. Playing out wide or as a holding midfielder is a no no for me; if we are to make use of him he's got to be played as a central attacking midfielder, a 'hole' type player, where his pace won't be as big an issue and he won't be expected to do too much tracking back therefore not be burnt out by half time. But can we accommodate that in this division?
Deleted User 972

Post by Deleted User 972 »

birkybullufc wrote:This whole discussion kind of ticks me off in a way. It highlights how fickle some fans are, how short their memories are and how impatient people can be.
Mowatt is a talented young footballer. He is still learning his trade and is still growing physically. His goals last season were invaluable in us staying in the league. People are always quick to look at what players can't do before appreciating what they can.
Also, pace isn't everything in football. As far as I know none of the 100m finalists in the World Championships would be good enough to play for Leeds.
I couldnt agree more, Young players are always going to go through spells where they are quiet. Im just glad that we have other players who can step up and fill in while this patch is going on.He will be back scoring and playing killer passes in no time!.
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

He did well last season so, when he's alongside Cook, I expect him to do the same this season. I actually think McPhail was a bit more active, and he was in the Prem so was probably a better player all round, not sure.
Deleted User 3150

Post by Deleted User 3150 »

birkybullufc wrote:This whole discussion kind of ticks me off in a way. It highlights how fickle some fans are, how short their memories are and how impatient people can be.
Mowatt is a talented young footballer. He is still learning his trade and is still growing physically. His goals last season were invaluable in us staying in the league. People are always quick to look at what players can't do before appreciating what they can.
Also, pace isn't everything in football. As far as I know none of the 100m finalists in the World Championships would be good enough to play for Leeds.

USAIN BOLT! Back o' the shed!! :lol:
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

onenorthernsoul wrote:He did well last season so, when he's alongside Cook, I expect him to do the same this season. I actually think McPhail was a bit more active, and he was in the Prem so was probably a better player all round, not sure.
Mcphail was operating at a higher lever but was blighted by similar problems at that level - he also didn't last long as a premier league player, playing the bulk of his career with Cardiff in the championship.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
isrodger wrote:No surprise really Byram & Mowatt are being played in a different position - square pegs round holes possibly?
could well be it, let's just hope the coach knows what's best. I think it was Sheepy who said that he thinks Mowatt would be best suited playing in front of the centre-halves. I definitely WOULDN'T want him there, he should be up near the front line imo. It's all opinions :D

I agree with ...... Sheepy although his goal record suggests your right. :)
Deleted User 972

I think Alex Mowatt will go on to be a premiership player and a good 1 at that, hes no slower than Stephen Ireland for example who when at City was 1 of the top players in the league at that time, Shame his attitude ruined him. Mowatt for me is best behind the strikers or just in Centre Midfield for all the talk of him being slow,he gets from box to box,and if we break away quick, I remember him a lot of the time being the first 1 to catch up with play. No player be it Mowatt or Byram should be being criticised 5 or 6 games into a season especially when Mowatt hasnt even started half of them!. Give him 10 games in a row and if theres no improvement then dissect his game. Have some faith people!
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

McPhail suffered a bad injury too while he was here, but I see your point, C.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

When Cook first broke into the starting XI, Mowatt said that one noticeable difference from their youth team days was that Cook was now playing behind him, rather than vice versa. Perhaps the two's roles should be tweaked, with Mowatt alongside Adeyemi and Cook further forward.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 972

I dont think that would play to either of their strengths because Mowatt is the 1 with the eye for goal a lot more than cook.Cook is great at picking up the ball deep and getting us into the final 3rd quickly where others can do the damage.