Alex Mowatt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Alex Mowatt

Post by phil62 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
rigger wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:
Ferenc Puskas, his right leg was for standing on only :D
So was Maradona's .. same thing, different generation.
Except Maradone took on and beat players, he had good pace, which is one of the main points of this discussion about Alex Mowatt.
Exactly. Most players favour one foot over the other. Mowatt is a solid championship player but no way could he play in the premier league - I don't rate him as highly as Johnson or Howson and they both found the premier league tough. I just think we have the midfielders at the club to keep Mowatt out if the first 11 at the moment.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

Chris Waddle was all left foot and even in his prime at Marseille, had no pace. He could still beat players for fun into his late 30's. Rivaldo, Davor Suker, Hagi all did pretty well with just a left foot.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

It all depends on the technique, Aidy White had bags of pace but couldn't do anything with it. Paul Gascoigne only had a 'burst' of pace, but it took him past defenders like they weren't there. Waddle was similar too.

As for Mowatt being left footed, that's just how he is, but if he is good enough with that foot then so be it. Beckham was all right foot but he made a career on it.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

isrodger wrote:
SG90 wrote:
isrodger wrote:No surprise really Byram & Mowatt are being played in a different position - square pegs round holes possibly?
Mowatt out of position? I thought he was playing as an attacking midfielder.
He has played in two roles this season one off the main striker so to speak and the other more wide and forward than what might be considered his core role as a central midfielder.it really shouldn't matter, and is probably just semantics but the lad has a fight on his hands to get in the side now.i also feel roslers desire to play a high tempo pressing game probably doesn't suit him personally. That said were 5 games abut for 6 minutes extra time @ Bristol the team & him would be seen performing really well so far.
I guess I see him as either a number 10 type or a deep lying playmaker. He's certainly not a holding midfielder. I rate him, but I think he is behind Adeyemi, Cook and Murphy atm. Of course it will change with injuries, suspensions and loss of form, which is why it's key to have competition for places.