Lucy Ward

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 2747

Re: Lucy Ward

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Finishing the job that Bates started - cutting the LU ties with the now-called Leeds Ladies FC - does not make Cellino a misogynist, Frankie.
We will have to agree to differ!
Deleted User 2747

Selby White wrote:Don't know if anyone was in the East Stand on Saturday but on the concourse there was a few ladies in kit promoting Ladies Football. Obviously it was all official so the Club hasn't totally shunned them it would suggest.

Well that is good to hear. :thumbup:
Deleted User 2747

isrodger wrote:
Frankie wrote:
Mellor wrote:She wasn't dismissed because she's a woman, she's gone because she was NRs partner (unless there are misdemeanours yet to emerge). Not saying it's right but had MC sacked Elton John, David Furnish would also have had to go.
And how many clubs run women's teams. I've no idea but I'm guessing not too many. When money is tight it's perfectly reasonable, in fact it's what business does I think, to revert to 'core business'.
No idea how MC views women.
That is a pretty dismissive comment really.

It's a good job that a lot of the big clubs do not have the same attitude.

It was more an issue with his attitude toward women in football than a financial one as the ladies team was supported by a charitable fund and cost next to nothing comaparatively.

Women's football, the same as women's cricket is getting bigger and bigger and is increasingly mainstream. Check out Sky Sports and the BBC Sports pages. Women's football has an important place in the wider community. Many young girls now have and enjoy the opportunity to play football. There was a women's football world cup this year where England came third! Women's football is on the up. 25 million people watched the world cup final on TV. There are more and more sports followers that embrace the concept of women's sport and accept that it has a place.

There are a lot of ladies teams and they have leagues and tournaments and an FA cup competition, in which Leeds Ladies have played and reached the final, being runners up to Arsenal in 2006 and in 2008.

Leeds United and Cellino should have made every effort to keep the women's team. Instead Cellino took the dinasour approach and cast the team aside, he also told the women's team that they were no longer allowed to use the Leeds United brand. They were at the time, I believe in the Premier League, but had to rebrand and start at the bottom. Leeds United Ladies were a part of the whole 'Leeds United' family and the wider community. Most teams that have a Ladies team have respect and embrace the team as being a part of their 'bigger picture'. Leeds United used to do the same. Yes Ken Bates cut their funding, but he did still allow them to be a part of Leeds United. As a proud Leeds United supporter I was always proud that we had a ladies team and I'm sure I am not the only one. I am equally ashamed to be associated with a club that did that to it's ladies team.

For goodness sake it's the year 2015 not 1915! This archaic attitude to women's football really is out of place nowadays.
You make very good points but I would wager 99% of fans couldn't give a toss wether we had a ladies side or not. You're clearly very passionate about women's football
but at present here is no real commercial value in having a ladies football team.
How do you know that? Women's football, cricket and rugby are fast becoming popular. I work work with children and there are many young girls and older girls that play these sports.

If the club wants to fill the stadium to capacity then then it has to appeal to all of the population.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Frankie wrote:
Selby White wrote:Don't know if anyone was in the East Stand on Saturday but on the concourse there was a few ladies in kit promoting Ladies Football. Obviously it was all official so the Club hasn't totally shunned them it would suggest.

Well that is good to hear. :thumbup:
Think it was directed at getting at the youngsters there and getting them involved. On another postive it was good to see lots of kids at the match (most i've seen for a long time). Looked like a few school or football club groups which indicates the Club are trying to get back what I feared may be a lost generation.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Before we condemn a bloke who was paying players wages from his own pocket it would be useful if someone in the know could explain the club's role in 'The Leeds United Foundation. I think football clubs have a huge role to play at the heart of the community (The Foundation is just that I believe) - it's one of the reasons it would be great to move the academy from a site in the poshest part of Leeds, accessible only to folk with cars to the 'city' itself.

Criticising a bloke who put his hand in his pocket (not for altruistic reasons I'm sure) for not putting it in deep enough seems a bit harsh to me.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Frankie wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:Finishing the job that Bates started - cutting the LU ties with the now-called Leeds Ladies FC - does not make Cellino a misogynist, Frankie.
A misogynist is a person who hates, dislikes, mistrusts, or mistreats women. I can't really comment on who he 'dislikes' or mistrusts, but I'd be confident he doesn't hate or mistreat women in the way you are suggesting.

He's married - happily, I'm assuming - and he has a daughter who is well-looked after by her father. Cellino doesn't value women being in men's football and he quite possibly has a bad attitude towards Lucy, due to her links with Neil R. That is chauvinism but it isn't misogynism. As has been said, the decision to off with the Leeds Ladies team is a commercial one... I personally disagreed with it right back to BATES' cutting the ties.

Blimey, I can't believe i'm having to defend Cellino, don't any of you tell anyone :lol:
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by 1964white »

Mellor wrote:Before we condemn a bloke who was paying players wages from his own pocket it would be useful if someone in the know could explain the club's role in 'The Leeds United Foundation. I think football clubs have a huge role to play at the heart of the community (The Foundation is just that I believe) - it's one of the reasons it would be great to move the academy from a site in the poshest part of Leeds, accessible only to folk with cars to the 'city' itself.

Criticising a bloke who put his hand in his pocket (not for altruistic reasons I'm sure) for not putting it in deep enough seems a bit harsh to me.
Indeed mate

Our fans are intent on beating Cellino up when it is quite obvious we are progressing in the right direction at long last

Two years ago we were in a long dark tunnel with not a chink of light at the end of it. Massimo has not only saved our club from going bust he has put his heart, soul & money into LUFC :D :clap:
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Frankie wrote:
isrodger wrote:
Frankie wrote:
Mellor wrote:She wasn't dismissed because she's a woman, she's gone because she was NRs partner (unless there are misdemeanours yet to emerge). Not saying it's right but had MC sacked Elton John, David Furnish would also have had to go.
And how many clubs run women's teams. I've no idea but I'm guessing not too many. When money is tight it's perfectly reasonable, in fact it's what business does I think, to revert to 'core business'.
No idea how MC views women.
That is a pretty dismissive comment really.

It's a good job that a lot of the big clubs do not have the same attitude.

It was more an issue with his attitude toward women in football than a financial one as the ladies team was supported by a charitable fund and cost next to nothing comaparatively.

Women's football, the same as women's cricket is getting bigger and bigger and is increasingly mainstream. Check out Sky Sports and the BBC Sports pages. Women's football has an important place in the wider community. Many young girls now have and enjoy the opportunity to play football. There was a women's football world cup this year where England came third! Women's football is on the up. 25 million people watched the world cup final on TV. There are more and more sports followers that embrace the concept of women's sport and accept that it has a place.

There are a lot of ladies teams and they have leagues and tournaments and an FA cup competition, in which Leeds Ladies have played and reached the final, being runners up to Arsenal in 2006 and in 2008.

Leeds United and Cellino should have made every effort to keep the women's team. Instead Cellino took the dinasour approach and cast the team aside, he also told the women's team that they were no longer allowed to use the Leeds United brand. They were at the time, I believe in the Premier League, but had to rebrand and start at the bottom. Leeds United Ladies were a part of the whole 'Leeds United' family and the wider community. Most teams that have a Ladies team have respect and embrace the team as being a part of their 'bigger picture'. Leeds United used to do the same. Yes Ken Bates cut their funding, but he did still allow them to be a part of Leeds United. As a proud Leeds United supporter I was always proud that we had a ladies team and I'm sure I am not the only one. I am equally ashamed to be associated with a club that did that to it's ladies team.

For goodness sake it's the year 2015 not 1915! This archaic attitude to women's football really is out of place nowadays.
You make very good points but I would wager 99% of fans couldn't give a toss wether we had a ladies side or not. You're clearly very passionate about women's football
but at present here is no real commercial value in having a ladies football team.
How do you know that? Women's football, cricket and rugby are fast becoming popular. I work work with children and there are many young girls and older girls that play these sports.

If the club wants to fill the stadium to capacity then then it has to appeal to all of the population.
How do I know very simple because the club, funded the side, the ladies side did not make a contribution to the club financially that's why it was killed, and that's why in its new state they are constantly fund raising. If there were 4,000 turning up every week and paying in it might be financially viable. You appear to be mistaking what is maybe the right thing to do with hard commerciality. At present I wouldn't have thought there is one ladies football team hat washes its face financially.

Yo can debate all you wish about, wether the club should extend into the community, increase the brand exposure, but MC is not stupid, if the ladies side had even contributed £50k to the fixed costs of the business, I doubt he would have closed it.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

onenorthernsoul wrote:
Frankie wrote:
A misogynist is a person who hates, dislikes, mistrusts, or mistreats women. I can't really comment on who he 'dislikes' or mistrusts, but I'd be confident he doesn't hate or mistreat women in the way you are suggesting.

He's married - happily, I'm assuming - and he has a daughter who is well-looked after by her father. Cellino doesn't value women being in men's football and he quite possibly has a bad attitude towards Lucy, due to her links with Neil R. That is chauvinism but it isn't misogynism. As has been said, the decision to off with the Leeds Ladies team is a commercial one... I personally disagreed with it right back to BATES' cutting the ties.

Blimey, I can't believe i'm having to defend Cellino, don't any of you tell anyone :lol:

I was getting quite worried about you Mr ONS!
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

:D