Leeds United American/Canadian connections

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Leeds United American/Canadian connections

Post by White Knight »

That is a fantastic post Mr Russell, really well done! It's more like a thesis than a forum post with that level of research. You may have to change your name to Dr. Russell :D

Well done again, great read :thumbup:
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

onenorthernsoul wrote:I'm struggling to remember if anything official happened or was written about John Charles and taking over a Canada team, which could be a snag. I know it happened though, for a fact, as John's best friend for years was also my first ever boss, He died 5 years ago unfortunately, but he told me that they and their wives were flown out to discuss terms... it 'might' have been Toronto Blizzard... and Eric my former boss loved telling of when they visited Niagara Falls. I think he was in line to be JC's assistant... he played for Leeds in the 50s but never in the first team, then he broke his leg and I think he moved to ////mexborough Town or someone similar.

Edit - the above was written before your info about Hamilton. Certainly not doubting it but the visit I refer to was almost certainly before 1985 as that's when I started work.
There is a hint that John Charles was in Canada sometime in the 70's in a role of consultant but on the sites I have looked at (or found) it does not go into detail but the trip was only for a short time, the one about Hamilton is more well known.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

White Knight wrote:That is a fantastic post Mr Russell, really well done! It's more like a thesis than a forum post with that level of research. You may have to change your name to Dr. Russell :D

Well done again, great read :thumbup:
:lol: thanks WK, funnily enough I am named after a doctor (Dr Marcus Welby) ;)
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.