Employment Advice Please

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Employment Advice Please

Post by Wigan White »

I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment, so I thought I'd ask the advice of the "knowledgable" members of the forum. Head's all over the place at present so need a bit of guidance from people who are outside my immediate family and friends.

As some of you will know, I was made redundant a few months ago and have been applying for a multitude of jobs ever since, with little or no success. I've had a few interviews, but no concrete job offers, except one.

This position starts on Monday 26th October and begins with a 20 week residential training course that requires 100% attendance. The salary isn't brilliant, but it's much better than being on the dole. Training is ongoing for 60 weeks, and then you will sign a contract to stay with the company for a further 2 years, or repay the cost of training and accommodation. I'm not sure if it's a job I really want, but as has been said to me "a job is a job".

The quandry is that I have an interview (group assessment) on Friday 30th October for a job I want. It's triple the salary and more local.

Because the residential training with the first position requires 100% attendence if I did take up the position I would be unable to attend the interview, and as it's also a group interview I am unable to change the date.

In summary: Do I take up the job I've been offered, as it's employment after all, or do I take a chance on the second position (the one I want, with a salary that will change my life) and risk not being successful with the application and still be out of work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Head's in bits at the moment wondering what to do for the best.
Judge Fredd
Brian McDermott's optician

Re: Employment Advice Please

Post by Judge Fredd »

Go with your heart mate and attend the 30th October interview.

I'm not really expert but I am wondering WHY any company would have such strict rules which seem to be almost Draconian.

Worst thing ti happen is you don't get the job you went for, but at least you went for it, whereas the one you don't really want, will always have you wondering 'what if' about the second one!

With respect, being miserable and out of work is preferable to being miserable IN work.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Tough question really all you can do is follow your instincts.

Must agree with JF that the first one sounds a little over the top demanding 100% attendance.

One thing maybe to consider is how many people are at the 2nd (group interview), what are the odds of getting the job. eg if its 20 people and one job chances would look very slim.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

TBH I'd listen to my family - it's your job but it's all part of a shared responsibility you have to each other.

Hope it all works out for you whatever you decide.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

WW. I went through the same issues in the 1980's. The temptation is to take the first job that comes along as you can convince yourself that nothing else will turn up. I don't like the sound of this job you are considering. Is it in Insurance? I know a guy who did something similar (in Insurance) it didn't work out and he had to sell his house to pay the money back.
I set my heart on a job where the personnel manager told me they had 180 applications. I got to the final two and was 99% certain I would get it. I didn't and it was a real downer, but it turned out it was the best thing that ever happened to me because the job I eventually got turned out to be 10 times better.
I presume you have a good CV, if not, get some expert help. Same with interview techniques. Above all, keep patient (difficult I know) and treat the 'job search' as a full time occupation, work hard at it. Took me 3 months.
Wish you all the best and am confident you will be posting your success on here in the not too distant future. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

WW If like Johnh says its Insurance or something similar I'd tend to go for the interview. Reason being I did exactly that when I first was medically retired. I did a 2 week residential course in Dublin needed 100% attendance and if I left within the 1st year I had to pay back my training costs. Needless to say it didn't last a year. luckily my last month wage covered most of the cost (I never received that month pay and I told them to chase me for the remainder. As it would have probably cost them more to do so they never bothered)

We do place certain restrictions on new flight crew training with us i.e bonds etc, but that training costs quite a bit of money and to put someone through it for them to just swan off is too risky. I still think they are going way too far though.

As has been said family input is important and I don't think they would want you doing something that you don't want to do yourself.

You say you do the training first then sign a contract, I find that strange but may give you an option. Why not try the first few days of the course (you may get an insight into the company etc) and then decide if you want to do the interview.

No matter what best of luck with whatever you decide.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Evening Al,

Sounds to me, and Mrs Barlow (she is good at this sort of thing), like a no brainer.

Don't go on the residential course, and have a crack at the other job. If you don't get it, at least you have had a go, and that's much better than wondering what might have been had you not given it a go, and to be honest, judging by the words in your summary, i.e the job I want we think you have answered your own question.

Good luck either way, and please let us know what you decide. If it's any consolation, if you don't get the job you want, and miss out on the residential I will buy you a pint in the Pav on your next trip over.

Cheers

BB (and Mrs BB)
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

If I was in that situation the choice i would make is (after talking to family/friends) would be go to the interview on the 30th and knock their socks off and get the job you really want!!!

Good luck and let us know which way you go :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Following your dreams in itself doesn't pay your bills Al.
But, you must go after life changing salary/job you really want, IMO?
Best wishes & good luck though, whatever you decide? :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Tough decision to make if I'm honest. Personally I would attend the interview on the 30th but that said it'll put a lot of pressure on you at the interview. Whatever decision you make good luck ;)
Winner of the Europa League