Transgender 'guy' - she's locked up in all male prison!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Transgender 'guy' - she's locked up in all male prison!

Post by daib0 »

Western Daily Press

A transgender woman who was born a man has been sent to an all-male prison sparking fears for her safety.

Tara Hudson, 26, has lived as a female all of her adult life and undergone six years of gender reconstruction surgery.

Her mother condemned the move and said her daughter's own doctor had confirmed that she is now a woman.

But magistrates sentenced Miss Hudson to 12 weeks inside an all-male Bristol prison after she admitted assault because her passport states she is still a man.

Read complete original: http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/ve-l ... z3sDP7SjmU

----------------------------------------------------------
It's a difficult one really. She could now get her passport changed after a ruling a couple of years ago. Surely 'she' would be in severe danger in a mans' prison? I mean, those photos ARE quite hot, looks totally a gprgeous woman !!

But which prison she should go?

A male prison?
A female prison?
A mixed prison of some type?
Avoid prison?

The law perhaps needs looking at and changing.... what do you think?
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Transgender 'guy' - she's locked up in all male prison!

Post by Another Northern Soul »

It's not difficult at all, you don't send transgender people to a prison dedicated to what the person regards as the opposite sex. We have heard way too much about this callous ignorance in Leeds very recently, with the poor woman committing suicide in Leeds jail, an all-male prison.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

She's gotta go into some kind of solitary confinement I think.
I know it's not exactly sociable and won't help her "rehabilitation" (another argument there altogether !) but if it helps keep her alive, I don't see any other way.

Having worked at a student union recently, I've been involved in a few of these kinds of discussion and generally they focus on what the organisation can do in terms of facilities for trans people, specifically the issue of toilets.
They argue they should be able to choose or to have their own third "door" between the usual male and female.

SUs are often quite unfathomable for anyone who's not worked there, but they're also a bit of a predictor for future mainstream life, so you may find in a few years you'll go to your local Wetherspoons and see three toilet doors in front of you ...
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:It's not difficult at all, you don't send transgender people to a prison dedicated to what the person regards as the opposite sex. We have heard way too much about this callous ignorance in Leeds very recently, with the poor woman committing suicide in Leeds jail, an all-male prison.

Agreed It's ignorant and facistic to send a transgender person to prison amongst the opposite sex. Callous is a very good word to describe it!
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Here in Leeds it was a very upsetting story, Frankie, if all an unusual situation of course. The boyfriend of this poor lass, who was formerly male of course, was interviewed and whilst it was clear I think that he's had mental health problems, the fella came across as genuine and decent and heart-broken. I really can't comprehend how this was allowed to happen, transgender inmate placed in a male prison.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Here in Leeds it was a very upsetting story, Frankie, if all an unusual situation of course. The boyfriend of this poor lass, who was formerly male of course, was interviewed and whilst it was clear I think that he's had mental health problems, the fella came across as genuine and decent and heart-broken. I really can't comprehend how this was allowed to happen, transgender inmate placed in a male prison.

I know I read about it. It is archaic and like you say callous to treat someone like that!

Did you read about the woman who got sent to prison for 8 years, becasue she pretended to be a man to have sex with her female friend. A strange case, but by all accounts the girl consented to sex, but the other girl was charged with three counts of sexual assault! I really didn't understand that one, except to say that 8 years compared to other sentences dished out was extremely harsh to say the least.

People lie and cheat to have sex all the time! They don't get sent to prison though!
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Hello again, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've misheard the reports of Vikki Thompson who committed suicide in Leeds prison, formerly called Armley Prison.

I believed I heard that Vikki had been having gender-change treatment ie ops, from 4 years ago, which isn't strictly true. So not only was I wrong in my 'reporting' above, i'm now showing my ignorance as I thought 'transgender' was terminology for someone who had undergone gender-change treatment. So, sorry for all that, it does make this particular situation a bit more complex. Would inmate of a woman-only prison have wanted Vikki in there with them? I don't know but ultimately, this is a tragic and horrible, needless loss of life. Leeds Prison or Armley 'nick' was though notorious for suicides, this is another terrible loss of life.
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Hello again, I'm embarrassed to admit that I've misheard the reports of Vikki Thompson who committed suicide in Leeds prison, formerly called Armley Prison.

I believed I heard that Vikki had been having gender-change treatment ie ops, from 4 years ago, which isn't strictly true. So not only was I wrong in my 'reporting' above, i'm now showing my ignorance as I thought 'transgender' was terminology for someone who had undergone gender-change treatment. So, sorry for all that, it does make this particular situation a bit more complex. Would inmate of a woman-only prison have wanted Vikki in there with them? I don't know but ultimately, this is a tragic and horrible, needless loss of life. Leeds Prison or Armley 'nick' was though notorious for suicides, this is another terrible loss of life.
thanks for a good honest post ..
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum