Mustapha Carayol

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Mustapha Carayol

Post by Selby White »

Rich1971 wrote:I hope the lad does well and my lack of enthusiasm is misplaced.
It is interesting though that people should hold Boro's squad in such high regard as if we are light years behind.
Are we accepting mediocrity?
Nobody mentioned accepting mediocrity just looking at the facts and the season so far.

Going back we could have said similar about when we signed Gradel, Leicester was just above us in the league and he was their reject. Turned out a very good winger.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Yep, sometimes a player just needs a change of club to re-start his career. A change of coaching style, team-mates and playing environment can work wonders, and sometimes is difficult to see exactly why.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Selby White » 16 minutes ago

Rich1971 wrote:
I hope the lad does well and my lack of enthusiasm is misplaced.
It is interesting though that people should hold Boro's squad in such high regard as if we are light years behind.
Are we accepting mediocrity?

Nobody mentioned accepting mediocrity just looking at the facts and the season so far.

Going back we could have said similar about when we signed Gradel, Leicester was just above us in the league and he was their reject. Turned out a very good winger.

There`s no doubt that Boro are in a better shape than we are at the moment, a good squad and a chairman prepared to back his manager because he wants the club back in the PL, they have experienced players who have played this or a higher level and are investing in better players. We have got to realise players wont just come to us because of our potential or history, if you want the better players you have to pay. All signings are a gamble its just I find it hard to understand negativity before someone has kicked a ball.
My positivity is I think we are slowly improving and I have to believe that with additions we can push up the league.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Seems we all read different things into Rich's comment about accepting mediocrity. For me, fact is he can't be a bad player as he is there, part of a strong squad, but it's also looking realistic imo that as fans we ARE having to accept mediocrity and that a coach is trying hard to do a good job but is not getting sufficient backing to really make strong enough progress team-wise.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Seems we all read different things into Rich's comment about accepting mediocrity. For me, fact is he can't be a bad player as he is there, part of a strong squad, but it's also looking realistic imo that as fans we ARE having to accept mediocrity and that a coach is trying hard to do a good job but is not getting sufficient backing to really make strong enough progress team-wise.
Yes maybe we do and none of us know how the lad will turn out, putting on the white shirt and the expectation that goes with it effects lots of players in different ways.
Personally I see it as Boro have a surplus of wingers where we are short of them so he maybe what we need, definitely hope so.
The fact Evans knows him gives me more confidence.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
The Young Bremner
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by The Young Bremner »

Debut goal :clap:

Wouldn't be suprised if he starts in our next game.
massimomilitia
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by massimomilitia »

Selby White wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:Seems we all read different things into Rich's comment about accepting mediocrity. For me, fact is he can't be a bad player as he is there, part of a strong squad, but it's also looking realistic imo that as fans we ARE having to accept mediocrity and that a coach is trying hard to do a good job but is not getting sufficient backing to really make strong enough progress team-wise.
Yes maybe we do and none of us know how the lad will turn out, putting on the white shirt and the expectation that goes with it effects lots of players in different ways.
Personally I see it as Boro have a surplus of wingers where we are short of them so he maybe what we need, definitely hope so.
Mediocre ? Did ok today in fact got MOM must be great feeling scoring on your debut .
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

massimomilitia wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Mediocre ? Did ok today in fact got MOM must be great feeling scoring on your debut .
Rich's comments about mediocracy also had a question mark. Maybe I missed it but I don't see any post which claims Carayol is mediocre. However, we do not have a squad that is anywhere near capable of getting into the Premiership. We are mid-table but lately, look as though we can push on. But so far this season we have been mediocre.
I once played against Don Revie.
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Good start for the lad today. Nice to have another player in the squad prepared to shoot from distance. Who was the last player to score on their debut?
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

[quote="Another Northern Soul"]Seems we all read different things into Rich's comment about accepting mediocrity. For me, fact is he can't be a bad player as he is there, part of a strong squad, but it's also looking realistic imo that as fans we ARE having to accept mediocrity and that a coach is trying hard to do a good job but is not getting sufficient backing to really make strong enough progress team-wise.[/quote]

Do you mean Evans is not getting enough support from Cellino? If so, a bit early to say that I'd suggest. Evans himself seems to be saying he's very happy with the support so far and he seems to be finding and someone is securing the "quality" players he told us we needed in Bridcutt and now Carayol. HE told us today that others will come next week too.