Glory? What glory?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
reinhardbeck
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Glory? What glory?

Post by reinhardbeck »

Usually people talk about the Revie years when they talk about Leeds United because these were the glory years. But I don’t remember that much glory. Oh sure, Leeds United were widely regarded as the best team in the English football league and one of the best in Europe. But they only won the league championship twice, the FA cup once and two EUFA cups (I know they won the League cup as well but so what, who cares about the League cup?) which isn’t a lot for what were supposed to have been the “glory years”. As a young supporter I remember defeat against Colchester, the defeat at the hands of WBA and Wolves that cost us the league championship two years running and the disaster in the European cup final against Bayern Munich in 1975 far more vividly, and I’m not going to mention the FA Cup Final against Chelsea in 1970. Everyone agreed that Leeds United were the best team on that day but they still lost. And I’m not forgetting the 1973 FA Cup Final against Sunderland either. How the world laughed! The list of disasters is longer than the list of trophies. Glory? What glory?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Glory? What glory?

Post by NottinghamWhite »

The thing is we were competing for everything, at times to our detriment. A lot of very bad refereeing decisions were also to blame such as Tinkler in the West Brom game, the 1975 European Cup final & who can forget the Cup winners cup final, shocking decisions in my opinion. The FA made us play 48 hours after winnings the cup just to help out the national team, remember Billy's motto side before self well mine would be club before country.

On the plus side we won the league in 1969 & 1974, the FA Cup in 1972 & 3 Inter Cities Fairs Cup finals. We played at times irresistible football by a team full of internationals.

How I'd love to see those times return but alas not in my lifetime.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Oh & travelling to games our conversation was about the manager & the players not the owner/chairman, they just helped out Don with the transfer kitty. In my opinion if Dons wishes had been granted back in 1974 & making Giles the new manager instead of the ego maniac that was Clough the Revie dynasty could have continued.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I can't really comment too much on the Revie era, I only have what I've seen on video tape and dvd to go on. But jeez, looked one hell of a team. Thing is, and this probably sides with the post author reinhardbeck, my dad always says we should have won more.
He also says we were 'done out' of a fair bit too, dodgy referees (one of which later convicted of taking a bribe) and of course the good old Football League who made us play on the Monday after playing in the FA Cup Final on the Saturday.

So yeah, maybe the title should be, 'Should have been more Glory'. I mean, there is a certain amount of Glory reaching cup finals and finishing runners up, as well as handing out hammering quite regularly to the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Southampton etc...
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

reinhardbeck wrote:Usually people talk about the Revie years when they talk about Leeds United because these were the glory years. But I don’t remember that much glory. Oh sure, Leeds United were widely regarded as the best team in the English football league and one of the best in Europe. But they only won the league championship twice, the FA cup once and two EUFA cups (I know they won the League cup as well but so what, who cares about the League cup?) which isn’t a lot for what were supposed to have been the “glory years”. As a young supporter I remember defeat against Colchester, the defeat at the hands of WBA and Wolves that cost us the league championship two years running and the disaster in the European cup final against Bayern Munich in 1975 far more vividly, and I’m not going to mention the FA Cup Final against Chelsea in 1970. Everyone agreed that Leeds United were the best team on that day but they still lost. And I’m not forgetting the 1973 FA Cup Final against Sunderland either. How the world laughed! The list of disasters is longer than the list of trophies. Glory? What glory?
;)

Is this some kind of satirical piece?

Are you now trying to eat into the little bit of Glory we have had!? - Stop it now!

We have just lost another quality player and fear more are to follow, we are going around in ever decreasing circles and have been for over a decade. We have yet another 'leaves a lot to be desired' owner at the helm. We are punch drunk from broken promise after broken promise and the knowledge that yes we have had better days! And now you are picking away at our glory! OMG is nothing sacred! I am now officially tipped over the egde! :roll: :roll:

Bring back Becchio!! That's all I've got to say now!
Last edited by Deleted User 2747 on 21 Jan 2016, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Top Four 10 years in succesion in a league where all 22 teams were competitive and money wasn't king.

Only English Club to reach the final of all three European Competitions.
Lets remember the European Cup only had Champions in it unlike the so called Champions League.
Back then clubs from all countries were competitive and not just from the big leagues who just buy success.

Watching Football I'll never see the likes again, great memories i will always have.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote: Watching Football I'll never see the likes again, great memories i will always have.

:clap:
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Football is about glory and Revie's lufc was steeped in it. As a young lad it was like a fairytale. What Revie achieved in a rugby city is beyond compare - blokes come out of the pits to play rugby and bowl at 90mph not to play ole football the likes of which has never been bettered by English sides.

Football is also about trophies. We didn't win as many of those as we might. But glory, we were drowning in the stuff as we changed the face of English football and built a national and global fan base.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Aces
Don Revie's bingo caller

Post by Aces »

We were the best team in the country, playing amazing football week in week out and had some of the best players ever to grace a football pitch, they were glory years without a doubt. We should have won more cups, but that doesn't take away just how fantastic it was supporting Leeds United at that time.
We are Leeds, we have to believe our new players are good enough, encourage and support them and help them grow in to a team to be reckoned with. MoT
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Strange first post, wonder who the OP supports?