Best Footie management games

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Best Footie management games

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Right then boys n girls, advice please.

I'm taking the plunge again for a wee bit of entertainment while the rest of my household watches I'm A celebrity Kardashian get my huge Housewife arse out of Eastenders TV :P

Last game I played was Championship Manager 2003 version :shock: I preferred CM because it seemed to be less convoluted than the others. I wasn't bothered about 'game action/footage' either.

It doesn't need to be the very latest version either (which makes it much cheaper to buy on ebay or whatever too). So I don't need it overly complicated or full of stats like what players' star signs are or what they had for breakfast :D Anyone help please?
Deleted User 728

Re: Best Footie management games

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Seriously ?

There's only one answer and that's Football Manager, in whatever incarnation you choose.
All the rest are pale imitations.

FACT.

By the way, it IS Champ Manager, but they lost the rights to the name when they changed distributor so from 2005 on it's been called Football Manager.

Currently, the last three versions have seen a significant ramping up of the difficulty of the game (the AI is unbelievable now) and the level of detail. BUT to reflect that it may well be too much for the more casual player, they've introduced a stripped down version of the game (now called FM Touch) which allows you just to play an old school version, doing little more than buying and selling players and picking matchday tactics.

If I were you I would suggest you get hold of a copy of FM2015 or '14 as they're a lot cheaper and almost as good as the newest one. You can update the game when you install it - patches should cover recent transfers and updates, etc.

You can pick up a copy of '15 for about £12 on Amazon :)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Thanks. Is FM Touch available too or is it included as an Option in the discs?
Deleted User 728

It's included in the game :)

You can buy it on Steam if you want - you don't need a physical copy.

(steam is a games client for the PC : http://store.steampowered.com/)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Cheers, fleabayed it :D
Deleted User 728

Nice one !

No doubt it was cheaper and you don't line Amazon's pockets :)
Deleted User 728

Incidentally, I'm 4 seasons in and have made the play-offs for the first three - and lost in the semi's every time - and then 7th last season.
This year I think I've finally cracked it as I'm 3rd.
I won't catch Stoke in second - WBA are top - but I've got a bit of a gap on the likes of Forest, Derby and Saints, who are all just below me.

I don't hold out much hope of winning the play-offs though, but you never know. The team is a lot better this year but we just can't stop silly goals - just like the real thing, eh ?

I wonder if such a record would keep a manager in a job for four years in the real world.
I guess Mick McCarthy's been at Ipswich with a similar history, so maybe .. oh, and I forgot to mention Cellino sold up at Xmas in the first season (ie last month!!).
I think that's helped cement my position ;)