Cook, what actually is he??

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Mickeyzee
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Cook, what actually is he??

Post by Mickeyzee »

Hello all,

I am really struggling to put young Cook into a identification box. Yes he has clearly got some quality but what i really cant put my finger on is where and what type of player he is and can grown into.

I think in this case he really need to nail down a specific job/position in the team. This will help him develop and grow on the quality he naturally has, otherwise i see his development stagnating, which would be a crying shame.

It's starting to look like the Byram RB or RM scenario. When he first burst on the scene at RB it was amazing then lost his way then played in another position. I just dont want to see this happen again with Cook.

I see Cook personally as an offensive driving midfielder from the center. He needs to work on his shooting, final ball, and decision making (I.E. when to pass rather then continue to dribble) He is not a wide player and he is not a defensively minded midfielder, He is not built for that and he seems have a nasty temper which results in rash tackle flying in when he gets wound up, that could be his age though.

What do you guys think? I'm genuinely interested.

Mick
It's only a game love?! Shut up you daft woman....
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Cook, what actually is he??

Post by isrodger »

Really good central midfielder - I would liken him to Scott Parker... Although at a stretch you might liken him to say Wiltshire, Delph & fabregas. He is being overplayed and played out of position. He may struggle for game time if SE chooses to play two kick Arse central midfielders [bridcutt and new lad] with two wide men / wingers. Irrespective I think we will struggle to fit him and mowett in the same side.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

isrodger wrote:Really good central midfielder - I would liken him to Scott Parker... Although at a stretch you might liken him to say Wiltshire, Delph & fabregas. He is being overplayed and played out of position. He may struggle for game time if SE chooses to play two kick Arse central midfielders [bridcutt and new lad] with two wide men / wingers. Irrespective I think we will struggle to fit him and mowett in the same side.
I can see the Delph and Wilshere comparison, but Fabregas comparison not so much - Mowatt is more comparable to Fabregas, as Fabregas is very slow, unlike Cook.

Cook is a box-to-box midfielder, a 'surger' who ignites attacks from deep. He's not an attacking midfielder who makes the final pass or racks up several goals from midfield, but he has it in his locket to begin attacks and get pre assists for threading it through to players further forward. He can turn defence into attack and make us effective on the counter with his burst of pace - but sadly his decision making is lacking a little bit at present, but that will come with time, better coaching and with superior players around him, putting less pressure on him to be the spark in midfield (as, let's face it, only he and Mowatt have the potential to really get you out of your seat in midfield, with the other options just being tidy options or players with exceptional work rate). I think that he feels a great deal of pressure to be the shining light and to create in attack, making his decision making more rushed and less precise - and this a pressure most young players will struggle under.

I actually think that putting him in Bridcutt's role again - where he broke on to the scene at the base of the midfield - will help improve his decision making and temporarily take the pressure off of him, as he'll no longer be expected to create further forward, like he is expected in his current role as our most advanced midfielder. Diagouraga seems like he could be the perfect partner for Cook - tidy, strong and disciplined.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Cook should be playing at the centre of a midfield 3 with Bridcutt and Dave behind or in the two with either Bridcutt or Dave. He's the only player we have who can go past people on either side, played wide he loses that, he has a good engine and is tenacious. But here's the rub - NR said we had the best midfield in the league. With Sam gone (he was playing RM when NR spoke) and if we buy a proper creative midfield player none of our 'kids', who made up that midfield, may feature in the starting 11. Weird innit?

If we play a midfield 4 life get's even harder for Cook I think.

And if we play a 4 there's no harm in playing Bridcutt and Dave (weren't Batty and Dacourt predominantly breaker uppers?). But if we play a 4 I really don't believe we have the quality out wide to do damage - hard work (Dallas) really isn't enough and Carayol looks patchy (with a great shot for which I'm grateful). But, to use an RU term, can anyone see our two wingers 'breaking the gain line' enough to threaten defences. At his best, Cook does and more importantly he does it where it really hurts, down the middle - he's got a lot to learn of course cos he's 18 but his future's a worry for me. As the thread starter suggests, he could easily go the way of Byram, messed about, wasted and gone. I'm still struggling with the concept that Sam wasn't good enough to play RB for us but ends up doing just that in the Prem.

Back to Cook, do fans have the patience to let him learn as he goes. If not, the dream of a team built on home grown lads looks to be under threat. For me Cook's our most exciting player so I can wait but I'm probably in the minority.

Horrible job, footballer manager. Picking teams on paper is dead easy. The hard part is managing player's expectations/keeping them happy when they're out of the team etc. It's what the great managers do well. O'Leary referred to it when he said you can't expect players to sit on the bench at ER like they would for the Mancs - we had an abundance of strikers at the time. Now it's midfielders.

Rather Evans than me. And rather 5 in midfield (giving Cook a chance) than 4. I really don't get 4 is more attacking than 5. What matters is the quality/desire of the 5. Last night (for instance) both sides played their most threatening football with 5 in midfield.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Norn_Iron_Leeds
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Norn_Iron_Leeds »

Good question Mick and some very thoughtful and well written responses so far (I'm about to ruin that).

At this moment in time I don't think Cook has a best position. He has a lot of raw attributes which could result in him becoming a great player. I think the responsibility lies with the club to provide a position for Cook. We need a settled formation in order to give him the opportunity to grow into a position and make it his own for the rest of his career (at whatever club he is playing for).

He has the ability to become an attacking central midfielder, a combative defensive midfielder or a box to box player. I think he could become equally talented in any of these positions so the onus is on the management to pick his position and stick with it. To do this they should look at the needs of the club. At present we are strong in defensive midfield so there is no need to nurture Cook in that position.

So that leaves box to box or a creative attacking midfielder. At this point our other midfield enigma, Mowatt, needs to be considered. Mowatt also needs a position to be identified for him and I think with his shooting and lack of speed/fitness he should be given the attacking midfield role. This leaves the box to box role for Cook.

The fact that we have nothing left to play for in the league could be a blessing because it means that for the rest of the season the management can choose to build the midfield around the raw attributes of Cook and Mowatt.

I'd like to see Bridcutt or 'Dave' holding, Cook in front of them and Mowatt in front of Cook with 1 striker up top.
Mickeyzee
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Mickeyzee »

It's interesting reading other peoples beliefs on this matter, and have to say i agree with most if not all what you are saying.

Cook is only a toddler in footballing terms he has so much to develop but he possesses more natural talent than most players in the league 10 years his senior. I just wish we could say right this lad plays in this position and we will work with him and give him time to grow in to that role. I know football is all about the here and now but some fans think every player should be the finished article. Wood for example, he is still young and learning yet he gets some right stick.

If only i could give Cook and his engine Mowett's left shooting foot!! Imagine that player at that age!!

Rest of the season i would focus playing people in the position i would like them to develop in for next season:

Away from home or more of a midfield battle expected: 4-2-3-1

.................................Silvestri..............................
Coyle(Barardi fit).....Bellusci........Cooper...............Taylor
......................Bridcutt..........Diagouraga..................
........Dallas...................Cook......................Carayol..
.................................Wood..................................

At home or vs a weaker midfield: 4-1-4-1

.................................Silvestri..............................
Coyle(Barardi fit).....Bellusci........Cooper...............Taylor
........................Bridcutt or Diagouraga.......................
....Dallas.............Cook..........Mowett...............Carayol
.................................Wood..................................

Mick
It's only a game love?! Shut up you daft woman....
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

His build and his attributes make me think he is a Batty type of player but with a tad more pace and therefore maybe more opportunity to press forward. Much of it depends on who is alongside him, he certainly isn't a winger and he isn't adept enough imo to be classed as a creative/attacking midefielder.

But as Johnny Giles said, one of the best midfielders ever, in his day midfielders were required to 'do the lot'. Billy Bremner could even head the ball well, while Giles was practically ambidextrous. Giles wasn't quick either but he formed a massive part of a never bettered midfield.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

I think he'll probably end up being one of those scrappy midfielders who pick up a lot of cards - like Parker, Cattermole, Noble etc. I see him being compared to Scholes a lot, but he's not that kind of player at all. Mowatt is more of a deep lying playmaker, but Cook is probably box to box.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

He's a central midfielder and should only be played there if you ask me. I agree with the notion that messing around with his position will not do him any good, like byram. So far his main strength seems to be carrying the ball at pace when he has space ahead of him to charge into, which will be a real asset if he improves his decision making and awareness. Massive potential to be a really good player but not convinced he should necessarily always start; last night, for example, was crazy. Putting him on the left just so he plays is poor management imo. He can learn by occasionally watching a game from the sidelines or playing a bit part. He is only 18 and this is a crucial time in his development and his career, and I hope we do right by him, and don't pointlessly burn him out or try to make him something he isn't.