Cook, what actually is he??

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Cook, what actually is he??

Post by birkybullufc »

Mowatt is a quality young player like Byram and Howson were and Cook and Taylor are. Sit back and appreciate what they bring. Watch them develop and get behind them. They'll all be gone too soon I fear.
Follow the cause not the leaders.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

He is quality, and is capable of great moments, including spectacular and important goals. Unfortunately his lack of mobility and stamina could, and for me more than likely will, prevent him from rising any higher than his current level. It's a damn shame. You don't have to be a gazelle but he is visibly slow, and for every goal he's scored there's probably 5 games where he's been anonymous and subbed after around an hour.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I notice a lot of people have said Cook was poor yesterday. What was his role and what was Evans expecting of him? He has brought in two midfielders since he took over that it could be argued play in Lewis' position, so why does he insist on playing him as well in every game? He is very young and still learning, and I'm not convinced he should always play if there are other personnel better suited. With the mobility and protection that Bridcutt and Dave offer, wouldn't Alex Mowatt be a better shout for the third, more advanced CM? And Carayol on from the start? I say this as a fan who wants to see his team create some chanced and score some goals!
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Costy wrote:I notice a lot of people have said Cook was poor yesterday. What was his role and what was Evans expecting of him? He has brought in two midfielders since he took over that it could be argued play in Lewis' position, so why does he insist on playing him as well in every game? He is very young and still learning, and I'm not convinced he should always play if there are other personnel better suited. With the mobility and protection that Bridcutt and Dave offer, wouldn't Alex Mowatt be a better shout for the third, more advanced CM? And Carayol on from the start? I say this as a fan who wants to see his team create some chanced and score some goals!
Im a massive fan however I was just thinking the same myself ... We sometimes do overplay & the thing about mowett is he does let fly. That said I do think cook is our best player.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

As I saw it, the current idea is to free up Lewis to play a less constrained role now that we have the Dave / Bridcutt combo in front of defence. By all accounts Lewis did this and was very good at Bolton. But yesterday all I saw was the same misfiring Lewis Cook we've seen all season. Every time he got the ball he looked positive and made ground but equally, every time he gave the ball away cheaply, was caught in possession, or misplaced or mishit his final ball. For me, I believe we'd have been better off yesterday without him - assuming his replacement was more careful with that final ball. The lad really is a conundrum at the moment - I still see folk on Twitter raving about him and saying how lucky we are he hasn't moved to the Prem already but if anyone really analysed what he is bringing us at the moment it is very little. Just because he is a Leeds academy product and he has little flashes of positive runs he's assumed to be a great player; great players create stuff not destroy it.