Unnecessary negativity and criticism of the team....

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Unnecessary negativity and criticism of the team....

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:I just wish someone in authority would take charge of the situation like in New York under Guilliani when he introduced the "Zero Tolerance" policy and took a hard-line to crime.
The results were astounding and prove society can be changed.
There's a lot of facets to this 'slippergate' debate. I bet they have zero tolerance at Eton and other public schools. Can't have zero tolerance in schools but we seem to have gone to the other extreme of where mothers slapping their naughty toddlers on the legs is a prisonable offence, without scrutiny of the actual situation. Corporal punishment in schools isn't something to aspire to for me, but as a last resort, I'm sure it can be useful.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
rigger wrote:I just wish someone in authority would take charge of the situation like in New York under Guilliani when he introduced the "Zero Tolerance" policy and took a hard-line to crime.
The results were astounding and prove society can be changed.
There's a lot of facets to this 'slippergate' debate. I bet they have zero tolerance at Eton and other public schools. Can't have zero tolerance in schools but we seem to have gone to the other extreme of where mothers slapping their naughty toddlers on the legs is a prisonable offence, without scrutiny of the actual situation. Corporal punishment in schools isn't something to aspire to for me, but as a last resort, I'm sure it can be useful.
Just heard on the news the report about teachers/lecturers being 'assaulted' by students. The teachers/lecturers 'blame the parents' for not showing their offspring enough 'boundaries'. Bloody cricket.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm not talking about schools specifically, but standards of respect across society generally.

I don't know how to do it - I'm no expert, obviously - but the natural, ingrained respect my generation had for anyone who'd lived and lost through the war is gone.

I wish we could start with respect for our elders, but kids these days live in a different world, a world where if you were to grab one to stop him or her from slapping someone, you yourself would be sued for assault.
It's ALL about context and assessing "the actual situation" like you suggested.

But now I'm thinking about child obesity .. we're basically f**ked, aren't we ? :(
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Another Northern Soul wrote: Just heard on the news the report about teachers/lecturers being 'assaulted' by students. The teachers/lecturers 'blame the parents' for not showing their offspring enough 'boundaries'.
I considered being a teacher when I was about 30.
Then - as manager of Tower Records - I got talking to one. He was someone I knew previously from my time at Portsmouth University - he'd been a student I'd worked with, funnily enough. He was massive : six foot six and eighteen stone, big ginger beard and a ponytail and he was a rugby player. He was actually a caveman, but a lovely bloke, highly intelligent and - I would imagine - an excellent teacher, especially having spoken to the kids that had been with me on their work experience placement.

I asked him about the job and told him I was thinking about it and he just laughed and said "Forget it. You wouldn't last five minutes with your temper."
He told me that a month previously half a dozen kids picked up a desk and threw it at him :shock:

There and then I just gave up on the idea.

Six foot six.
Nice guy.
And this was nearly 20 years ago ..

We're doomed.
Doomed, I tell ye ..
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

True this.

My younger brother was a teacher in Liverpool before he packed it in and became a full-time musician.
I asked him why he had given up teaching. He said, 'There were a number of reasons but if you want one then it was the day I was trying to motivate a young lad who didn't seem to be interested in any of the lessons. I asked him 'didn't he want to make something of himself'? The lad just shrugged and said 'I just want to be a bin man like me Dad'. That was in the 1960's.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Back to Sheepys post. Twitter & Facebook have bred a new internet warrior & I would imagine very few of them actually attend games. I don't go on either that often but I know it's not unusual for players to come under attack & then folk wonder why said player wants nothing else to do with the club. I saw on Facebook a picture of a snake with Sam Byrams head photo shopped on to it after joining West Ham, pathetic.

I don't believe in booing players during a game at halftime & full time I don't really have a real issue with. I can remember before a gamer as the players were warming up chanting the players names, that's support. I can see the frustration though after so many years in the wilderness & players putting below par performances in.
Winner of the Europa League
Verloc
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Verloc »

Don't tend to have a go at players, as long as they appear to be trying their best. My mind always wanders to the idiotic dolts who signed them in the first place - Bates/Williams, Cellino/Salerno, whoever.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Verloc wrote:Don't tend to have a go at players, as long as they appear to be trying their best. My mind always wanders to the idiotic dolts who signed them in the first place - Bates/Williams, Cellino/Salerno, whoever.
I must admit since relegation we have signed a lot of players who just become squad players. Can never understand why we sign them, the latest is Botaka why have we brought him in if all he's going to do is play for the U21's ?
Winner of the Europa League
Rich1971
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Rich1971 »

I'm also not a participant in booing of players during and after games.
I can however understand why it happens.
In any job you are going to take criticism and questioning of your performance so given the wages these lads are on they should man up and move on quickly.
I was at the cup game at Rochdale where the fans went berserk at the end, some of the players looked shocked but the performance that day was disgraceful so the fans vented their frustration.
All part of a day's work in a high profile environment I'm afraid.
Rich1971
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Rich1971 »

Who can forget Wayne Rooneys rant at the TV camera in South Africa.
How much of a tool did he make of himself having a go at the fans who'd paid so much to be there?