Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by daib0 »

Selby White wrote:Think so far she has chosen her words carefully, it's a waiting game with regards to how good the EU will be now the UK has voted out. Scotland need to be careful what they wish for.
That's assuming the EU accept them in the first place, could find themselves totally solo with a weak economy.

I expect a couple of other countries (possibly Holland and even France to eventually follow us)
I've got a feeling the EU would welcome Scotland with open arms (to spite England!). Even in Spain they are seen in a good light, despite the knock-on effect in Catalunya ...
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Mellor wrote:I don't think the referendum has created division, I think it's exposed division which has existed for umpteen years and has been ignored.

I'm a huge Remain fan but successive Govts have neglected the traditional 'engine' of UK success, old fashioned workers.

We may be the 5th biggest economy in the world but that counts for nothing, zero, when you're living on the bread line. The spoils of whatever success the UK may have had are not shared around. Workers are tools to be used to make money for people with money.

Where we are starts with Thatcher, an evil woman in hock to some crazy US economist and a B grade movie star. That's when council house sell offs begun & social housing died, on the back of 'no such thing as society'. Imagine Coleman telling the Welsh squad there's no such thing as 'team Wales'. Thatcher did that and proceeded to trample on all ordinary folk. Blair kept people out of sleeping rough in doorways and backed the NHS but he was a benevolent Thatcher and like her beguiled by the USA. Result, mass migration.

Could go on but you always end up with politicians know best, workers are pawns, when it goes wrong it's not our fault. Do what I say.

Folk didn't though. Cameron clearly so out of touch he didn't realise and wallop. The result could make things worse for those who thought it would improve things.

Me and the Mrs are absolutely gutted by the result. Genuinely can't move on yet. Not for ourselves but for our kids and those less well off. Worse though is the fear of a lurch to the right (Farage was a fascist at school apparently). That, more than jobs/money is the issue for us. Extremism is the enemy, hate is the consequence,
Excellent post Mellor, my sentiments exactly!
(We may disagree on football matters, but I couldn't have put my thoughts and feelings better myself.)
Deleted User 2747

daib0 wrote:Image

It's going to happen this time. Good luck to the Scots ...
The Scots are lucky that they are a separate nation. If only the North of England and any other dissatisfied and squeezed population could also vote to be independent of London.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just a bit confused here Frankie. London voted for 'remain', the North of England voted for 'leave'.
I once played against Don Revie.
daib0
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by daib0 »

Just received...

Apetition to hold a second EU referendum that has garnered more than three million signatures since Friday may have been manipulated.
Data published on the UK Government and Parliament Petitions website show a suspicious number of signatures attributed to places outside the UK – in some cases more than their total population.
Some 39,411 residents of Vatican City, home to Pope Francis, appeared to have signed the petition by Sunday morning, despite the tiny city state having a total population of just 800.
A friendly Reading FC fan! He is a moderator here: http://www.extremefootballforum.com/forum
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Interesting how everyone has gone missing - Cameron, Osborne, Boris. One's had enough (and cleverly handed the poison chalice onto his eventual successor), one's locked himself in the counting house (would have been reasonable to expect the country's treasurer to say something 'calming' ) and the winner isn't really sure he's won (when seen he looks pretty glum for a man in the driving seat).

Something must be going on somewhere surely? The Labour Party is eating itself so no good looking there for leadership, there seems to be a void at the heart of things just when leadership is required.

Can't imagine a business making a decision of any importance without carrying out some kind of risk assessment. I can't see a second referendum happening, at least not using the same question, but is 'exiting' so complex that filibustering is about to begin as the suits find a position where remaining is actually the same as leaving, given that the referendum was 'advisory' rather than 'binding'.

It would genuinely be interesting to know how people would have voted if the break up of the union had been part of the referendum question.

It feels really odd for me just now. A bit of leadership wouldn't go amiss, would it?
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Its the week-end and the Euro's are on. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

johnh wrote:Its the week-end and the Euro's are on. :D
And Tom Watson was at Glastonbury :)
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Mellor wrote: there seems to be a void at the heart of things just when leadership is required.

A bit of leadership wouldn't go amiss, would it?
Sadly there is a complete lack of leadership everywhere at the moment. Many politcal leaders can't decide where they stand on any issue unless a focus group is called and they find out what the public want. That will then be the new policy. Pure populism.

There is no original thought. The old approach of someone coming up with a plan or vision for the future and selling this to people who would buy into it, and in turn they would back the person with the plan, seems to have completely disappeared. We seem to be damned to "leaders" that change nothing or tap into either the public's fear or the lowest common denominator in people, such as racism or xenophobia. Very depressing.
Deleted User 2747

johnh wrote:Just a bit confused here Frankie. London voted for 'remain', the North of England voted for 'leave'.
In any circumstance.