Elland Road

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Elland Road

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Just sat here cuppa in hand and was wondering how members on here would feel if we moved into a state of the art new stadium like so many teams have done.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Elland Road

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Personally I'd hate us to leave our spiritual home. The thought of moving into a flat pack stadia would be the final straw that broke the camels back for me. As the song goes Elland Road is the only place for me...
Winner of the Europa League
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by saintjimmy »

With you on that one NW.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

What does state of the art actually mean anyway? Breeze blocks, no Kop, no soul?

Arsenal's and Wembley are state of the art, I presume, but the rest as far as I've seen are flat-pack dumps in effect.

Anyway, if it happened it would be all more nefarious actions on the suits' behalf.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The 'flat pack' stadia usually provide for a capacity of 20 - 25k. If we wanted 40k it would require 'state of the art'.
This assumes:

Flat pack stadia = Blue prints already exist and someone digs them out of the filing cabinet. (cheapo)
State of the art = Specifically designed for Leeds requirements. (expensive)
I once played against Don Revie.
zigzag
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by zigzag »

I do not like the identikit stadia that you get these days, those with a c20-25k capacity, no soul.

ER has soul, its our home, however that said it could be redeveloped in stages which would be ok if done correctly (Im not a fan of the East Stand, its too big in many ways, dominates the ground, and looks a bit cheap to my eyes)
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I'm with NW, I never want us to leave Elland Road. We have enough land around us to develop the ground should we need to.

I'd hate us to move, if we did though it would have to be moved within the South Leeds area, if we went to the wrong side of the river it would never be the same for me.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Sheepy wrote:I'm with NW, I never want us to leave Elland Road. We have enough land around us to develop the ground should we need to.

I'd hate us to move, if we did though it would have to be moved within the South Leeds area, if we went to the wrong side of the river it would never be the same for me.
If it happened it would be without me too :P
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I'd move to a brand new stadium in a heartbeat. Elland Road looks tired, apart from the family stand. Having visited Arsenal it is designed for purpose, it didn't lack atmosphere when I was there and it was a thoroughly pleasant experience. I understand the argument about it being 'the spiritual home' and the history etc but every dog has its day and who is to say a new ground wouldn't be great once you get used to it?

It won't happen anytime soon however so probably no need to worry.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

ER is a bit of a millstone, too big for a champs club, too costly as well I suspect. Although I'd be a reluctant mover I'd want to see what the complete plan was - presumably moving would be part of a 'bigger' strategy - before committing one way or the other. A modern ground, in south Leeds with adjoining academy and safe standing (for instance) would have its attractions.

Juventus moved/resized to great effect and that's a club with heritage. I'm also struck by Foxes, Swansea etc. Modern, cheap to run grounds apparently working for them.

Given the amount of space on Elland Road there might not be a need to move far. As much as I dislike the modern stadia I have visited I generally dislike the locations - out of town/in amongst industrial units etc - even more.

Can't see us getting a new stadium any time soon. If we did it would need to offer the flexibility to 'expand' when the good times return.

Prefer to stay and modernise but wouldn't stay away if we moved. Price not location will push me over the edge.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente